Has disney crossed the price threshold for most families?

dvc lover 1970

DIS Veteran
I just left my hairdresser who is also a big disney fan. Her family normally goes every year. She just told me that tDisney is crossed off their family list as it has gotten too expensive. I wonder how many others feel the same way. Will Universal Studios be the likely landing place for those who feel disney has become too expensive?

Well I didn’t renew my AP, fla resident. I keep getting antsy not having gone since pre Covid but I just can’t bite the bullet… I can’t pay 600-800 a nite for what I used to pay high 200s low 300’s. I refuse lol to lower my standards and do a lesser resort so… I’m leaving room for others to spend More money for Less .
So… , seriously considering universal .. it’s more a principal thing to me, while we can afford it, I just Can’t do it.
sad to me.

Maybe they are aiming for a one and done spectacular vacation. .. then in 20 years or so those kids are parents. It's crazy that I use to complain about shelling out $500 for six flags season passes for our family. I just spent 3k .

We are not planning another trip. When we add in the new fees, the price increases, and the lack of amenities, it doesn't make sense for us anymore. For the same budget we're planning a trip to Paris for our family.

We have loved Disney for over 40 years, but I think we're done going. The systematic stripping the parks/resorts of all the details have created an overpriced atmosphere that leaves us feeling nickeled and dimed.

Disney was crossed off my family's list back in the 70s. As a large family, where only 1 parent worked, it was never something we could consider affording. I have great memories of camping and state parks, museums and the like, we well as cedar point and king's island. But the idea of Disney outpricing groups is hardly a new concept.

We used to go every couple years. It’s passsed the price point we will pay. It was a struggle when you had to book dining so far ahead, and then often only getting on favorite rides with a fast pass etc. vacation is a major splurge and we can still have a good time elsewhere for less. I am sad they have priced us out.

But the idea of Disney outpricing groups is hardly a new concept.

I don't know if it's so much as outpricing as not being worth the money it costs.
Our last vacations we have stayed on property for a week or so at a deluxe hotel, did dessert parties and table service most meals.
BUT, when I look at the hassles now included in a previously 'taken care of from door to door' vacation, it's not going to entice me to go. Now I have to arrange transportation to and from the airport. I have to wait for my bags. I have to spend half my vacation arranging things on my phone and using it to keep us on track. I have to pay for park entrance and then pay for fast passes. I have to pay for the "ticket" (Magic Band) that should be included in my overall park cost. I have to do a lot more for a vacation that I should be able to just enjoy, but I can't even do that part because Disney refuses to pay maintenance staff what they're worth and the parks are trashy now. Forget trying to get a park bus in a timely manner because they just don't run them enough. Our last trip we waited over an hour to get one to Disney Springs.
And those are the big things. The little things, like the variety of shops that used to be there and the date night we could have because there were kids' clubs, the little newsletter and welcome pack from the hotel and and a front desk that welcomed you...the opening ceremony with rope drop..

I feel like, yeah, we could do it, but why do we want to? It's a shell of what it was and they just want more money from us in exchange for less. And it's a trickle down effect. They don't pay their staff well which translates to lackluster effort and more stress for them. There's no magic to be found, only cattle calls. There are less little surprises or the idea that there is something for everyone.

We did Disney specifically because it offered an experience. I've always gone to Disney, every year when I was little and less frequently when I got older, but it's a hard question to answer why I should any more. I don't relax, my phone battery is used on checking on the app, I can't be present and just be in the moment.

If I was paying less, it would offset the growing discomfort, but we will have more fun and unwind more doing something else now.

We already have single day trips planned for October and December (we're Florida residents). Starting in 2022 we will be trying Universal/IoA. I actually prefer Uni (big Harry Potter fan) but Disney had more to offer when our kids were babies/toddlers so we stuck with Disney. Now that the kids are a bit older and Disney is getting more expensive but offering less, we figure it's a good time to try and make the switch. Not shutting the door on Disney completely- we'll see.

I'm not priced out of a WDW trip, but it's not a good value any longer. I work too hard for my money and I am not willing to pay the exorbitant prices that Disney thinks they can squeeze out of me. I didn't mind spending when I felt I was getting a fair deal for my dollars. I have been many times so I do have the memories and there is always You Tube for ride videos and park bench videos if I need a "fix". I still have 4 single day tickets left, but not really sure I want to use them. I do not currently have a trip planned for the first time over 30 years, that's how I feel about the DisGreed.

I decided last year that WDW had become too expensive relative to other vacation options. I let my AP expire and had no intention of returning for a long time. However, two months ago, I decided to make the 50th anniversary an exception, so I'll will be there that weekend. I'm viewing it not so much as a vacation but as a splurge for a special event. After that, I don't see myself opening my wallet and handing over large sums of money to Disney for a long time. I'm almost always solo and I don't know how average income families manage spending that kind of dough.

Been going since 1972, took our 3 sons many times when they were growing up and took the grandkids in 2019 but sorry Disney we are done with you. For us the cost /benefit has disappeared I feel like lately this has been a one sided love affair, time to leave this relationship- there are far too many other places to go

We have been going every other year for the past 10-12 years. Our upcoming November trip will be our last trip. The value just isn't there for us anymore. I agree with everything everyone above has said. We have always stayed onsite and the extra amenities made the overpriced Disney hotel rooms worth it for us. I just don't have it in me to spend $300+ for a glorified motel room without the extra hours at the parks, free transportation to and from the airport, baggage transfer, etc. Part of me is a little sad that the Disney era is over for us, but I'm looking forward to traveling to more exotic places.

I just left my hairdresser who is also a big disney fan. Her family normally goes every year. She just told me that tDisney is crossed off their family list as it has gotten too expensive. I wonder how many others feel the same way. Will Universal Studios be the likely landing place for those who feel disney has become too expensive?
I think it is more about loss of value, not the extra expense. Paying more for less is the turn off. It’s not one thing, it is MANY. Loss of ME, increase in AP (but loss of real park hopping and required reservations and limit to reservations), add on for two ride reservations, genie +, no magic hours...

We wouldn't be able to do it if it weren't for the military discount and we have an RV. Without military-discounted tickets, we would be doing just one or two park days and the rest of the time, spend at the campground. But Ft. Wilderness prices are going up, so who long how much longer that will last.

We just had a fabulous 11-day trip to Williamsburg for about the same price as our 5 day trips to Disney. Our kids are both under age 6, so while they love Disney, they also love the Sesame Street parts of the Busch Gardens/Seaworld parks (plus my 5 year old has a big interest in marine biology). We are planning on shifting our focus to Seaworld for a little while. I was also somewhat saddened/somewhat relieved when my 5 year old announced he liked Legoland as much as Disney.

We had APs for almost 20 years but let them expire this last year and didn't renew. Saw the new APs and prices and are not buying again. We're still APs at Universal and SeaWorld. We live here in town but found ourselves going to the other parks more than Disney. Really not a fan of this Genie stuff. Seems more nickel and diming these days. Universal and SeaWorld treat their APs better too.

Disney crossed the price threshold for MOST American families long ago - especially regarding regular trips which is the norm on the DisBoards.. The median American household income is $61k. Half of Americans don't bring in more than $61k into their households. The average rent on a ONE bedroom apartment was $1000 a month.

But the other side of the coin is that Disney has limited capacity. If they can make the same amount of money off of fewer people, theoretically those fewer people will have a better experience with less crowds. There isn't any business reason for Disney to make itself affordable to everyone.

People talk about heading to Universal instead, but I don’t see Universal as a viable replacement. Sure it’s a theme park, but our experiences there have been underwhelming. It’s fine for a couple of days, but qualifies as a one and done for our family. Very little desire to repeat the experience, and quite frankly, after a couple of days, it was boring. We will likely find something entirely different to do with our vacation dollars. Disney has not priced us out, but it is too costly for what they deliver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter