• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone else been told to keep their reservation?

I have no idea about May, but I don't think Disney would have started rebooking their guests that were forced to cancel starting June 1st under the free dining offer if there was a good chance they would have to cancel a second time. That would be a huge headache for Disney. I have no inside info, this is just a hunch. I assume Disney gets inside info from the government since they are basically their own city.

So how is all this going to look? Lots of masks, space and waiver signing?

I honestly don't understand why some of the governors are saying what they are - it literally flies in the face of the data that the federal government is using! For example, in North Carolina, our governor said that we would have our peak in mid to end of May- but this site (used by pretty much everyone from what I understand on the federal level) is saying it will be in the next 7 days. And frankly, our numbers are not showing the crazy numbers they are telling us here locally. For example, in our area (Charlotte) we had only 3 (yes THREE) tests per day until about two weeks ago! So literally there were THREE tests a day given for the entire Charlotte area (which, if you are not aware, is a large city). So common sense would tell us that now with lots of tests being done (and getting back in a day on average) that we won't hit the "overwhelmed" peak they are planning for. I am just not seeing it! My friend who is a nurse in the largest hospital in the city is saying the ED is literally empty- they are sending staff home and beds are sitting empty. other are very few COVID patients admitted. I think that there are under 200 in the county who are hospitalized and there are several major hospitals located in the county (approx 7 by my count). They were planning a huge 3000 bed hospital at UNCC and have now changed it to a smaller 600 ( pretty sure that is the number) bed in center city. I think that some of these local folks are either not receiving good data, or different data from the federal govt, or something but it just seems incongruent with the numbers in our area.
We are in a small community in Ohio and we have nurses laid off because the hospitals are empty and my DD is a nurse in Yuma AZ and they are empty as well. There are probably more people dying because they aren’t going to the hospital for medical issues than there are COVID-19 deaths

Folks, just a reminder to stay on topic, please. These threads aren’t going to be useful for those looking for help deciding whether to keep reservations if they keep veering off into discussion/debate of what the government is doing, what your home state is doing, etc. If you want to discuss those topics, there are numerous threads on the Community board.

I was on the phone with Disney for another reason that involved looking at my plans in MDE, and they didn’t comment on either the dates of my May trip or June trip. They did comment on how many trips I have booked, since they don’t know that June is a backup for May and one or the other will be cancelled at minimum (I am pretty sure May is toast, but not canceling yet). Not saying the lack of commentary means anything, but for those of us who cling to hope, I will take anything as a positive sign at this point.

I have fabric in and plan to start making DIY masks tomorrow, so Murphy’s Law being what it is, we will see if they are necessary . . .fingers crossed!

We have a honeymoon trip booked May 26-June 1st that we're trying to decide what action to take on. I guess based on what I'm reading here, we'll hold out for another couple weeks before we make a decision.

I was chatting with an online cast member and she said to keep my June 20 reservation. I don’t know if that’s because they’re more concerned with cancelling and rescheduling more recent trips or what? But that’s what she said.

I think June is a whole different animal. It's too soon to know what will happen for the summer. And honestly, I think it's probably too soon to officially know for May. But for almost every May reservation I cancelled, the CM I spoke to said something along the lines of "It's sad, but they're making the right choice". On the other hand, several have asked "Are they sure?" when I've called to cancel June reservations. Of course this is all anecdotal and I don't think these CMs know anything for sure and YMMV and all of that. But in my personal experience, not a single CM has discouraged me from cancelling May reservations but June has been a different story.

We have a honeymoon trip booked May 26-June 1st that we're trying to decide what action to take on. I guess based on what I'm reading here, we'll hold out for another couple weeks before we make a decision.
If I had a late May reservation I would wait a few more weeks before even starting the decision making process to cancel. I have found the IHME model to be really fascinating in that you can play around with the model and look at what they are projecting each day through August 4. Florida will still have a surplus of ICU beds at its peak on April 21st. The daily death toll goes into the single digits by May 25th and total deaths flat-line completely by June 1st. The same goes for all the surrounding states for the most part: GA, LA, SC, AL. An additional ray of hope is that this model has grossly overestimated death tolls and ICU bed needs over the past month. I would still say that a pre-June opening of Disney is a long shot, but still a possibility.

If I had a late May reservation I would wait a few more weeks before even starting the decision making process to cancel. I have found the IHME model to be really fascinating in that you can play around with the model and look at what they are projecting each day through August 4. Florida will still have a surplus of ICU beds at its peak on April 21st. The daily death toll goes into the single digits by May 25th and total deaths flat-line completely by June 1st. The same goes for all the surrounding states for the most part: GA, LA, SC, AL. An additional ray of hope is that this model has grossly overestimated death tolls and ICU bed needs over the past month. I would still say that a pre-June opening of Disney is a long shot, but still a possibility.

I can see a world in which maybe the parks can reopen (at least partially) in late May. However, the lack of reservations for late May really kills any kind of trip then. We were due to arrive in late May, and our FP day arrived the day after they shut down reservations through June 1. So if we had kept our trip, we would have had no fastpasses, no ability to modify dining, and if they reopened reservations we'd be competing with everyone for FP availability.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this concern so if it's not, my apologies...

We're set to arrive June 8th for a week. It's likely going to be our last trip for awhile because my DH wants to do something not Disney related for a few years after this trip. I have a 7 and a 9 year old so this needs to be a good, memorable trip. I'm fairly confident that WDW will be open in some capacity for our trip, but I'm also equally worried that if we DO go on this trip, it's just not going to be magical, if you know what I mean. I'm afraid of all these potential changes that are being discussed. Am I overreacting, or is anyone else worried about that aspect? I haven't even tried to call Disney to inquire about moving my trip to next year (because that's when we'd reschedule for) because my DH has basically told me to sit tight - not my strong suit, hahaha. Anyway... Any thoughts on the magic not being there in June?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this concern so if it's not, my apologies...

We're set to arrive June 8th for a week. It's likely going to be our last trip for awhile because my DH wants to do something not Disney related for a few years after this trip. I have a 7 and a 9 year old so this needs to be a good, memorable trip. I'm fairly confident that WDW will be open in some capacity for our trip, but I'm also equally worried that if we DO go on this trip, it's just not going to be magical, if you know what I mean. I'm afraid of all these potential changes that are being discussed. Am I overreacting, or is anyone else worried about that aspect? I haven't even tried to call Disney to inquire about moving my trip to next year (because that's when we'd reschedule for) because my DH has basically told me to sit tight - not my strong suit, hahaha. Anyway... Any thoughts on the magic not being there in June?

No inside knowledge, but based on their practices over the last few years, I definitely can see them cutting back on things under the guise of protecting guests. Things like parades, shows, fireworks and meet and greets could easily get cut.

I think the magic is what you make it, even during normal times. Might it be different than what you've experienced in the past? Sure. Can it be better than most vacations you've had in the past? Absolutely. It's still Disney. We're bringing 2 that have not gone before. Will they look at things through a different lens than I do? Most definitely. Will they have a spectacular time no matter if things are "watered down" or not. I would suspect so. Will I have a great time watching them have a great time? Probably close to the way I felt when I brought my kids for the first time. The magic is always what you make it. Remember the first time watching Mary Poppins or Cinderella or Snow White with your kids? That was YOUR magic. YOUR feelings and emotions sharing something you truly enjoy with someone else, made more special because you love those people. I was in the Navy and have been all over the world. That doesn't make it any less special going to those places again, because those I love are experiencing it for the first time. It actually makes it more special, for me anyway. Personally, I don't care if half of everything is closed June 7-17, as long as we get to go with these 2 "newbies". They won't know any better and the joy will be in watching them be in awe of what is actually available. I think those of us that have been multiple times lose sight of what the real magic of Disney is all about. For most, it is really a dream come true that they will not experience again. If you look at it through that context, the magic will always be there, IMHO.

The fact that they sent basically everyone from other countries in the world showcase to their homes means that a return to normal for Epcot is not likely. And then there is the suspension of the college program, which will affect staffing everyone. Plus reports here are that fastpass availability is very limited for June. It is going to have to be a slimmed back operation for sure.

We arrive June 10th, and while I initially had similar concerns, after I booked my fastpasses a couple of days ago, I am excited about the trip. If they are open, I think we are going- as long as I feel relatively safe in doing so.

We have fastpasses at all four parks, and we have some special dining reservations booked. If, prior to our trip, they cancel our fastpasses or our dining reservations, I may reconsider rebooking for a future date, but right now they are still offering reservations for fireworks parties and all four theme parks. Fastpass availability wasn’t great, but we go often, so I’m ok with that.

For me, the changes will be really interesting to see. If the parks are open, I think the company will do everything they can to make it a magical experience, even if it is a non-traditional experience.

Even if the do open in June (which I seriously doubt will happen) will you be comfortable possibly exposing yourselves and your children to the virus?
I think I would be too worried about that to enjoy myself, and would certainly regret it if I or my children became ill there.

Even if the do open in June (which I seriously doubt will happen) will you be comfortable possibly exposing yourselves and your children to the virus?
I think I would be too worried about that to enjoy myself, and would certainly regret it if I or my children became ill there.
Your thoughts are reasonable. However, how long do we lock ourselves up for? Until a vaccine is available in 12 months (hopefully) and it is effective against the virus as long as it doesn't mutate? I've been to some fairly busy grocery stores and home improvement stores over the past 3 weeks. Am I less likely to catch it at Walmart than I am walking around Disney? I will agree that a June opening is becoming less and less likely now even with the improving models. I think pre-June is not even a conversation anymore. Not because of the science behind this lock-down, but because of the optics of opening these big venues. Universal has already announced closures until May 31. I wish Disney would just go ahead and give a definite closed until date so people know they can cancel reservations, flights, rental cars. A lot of DVC members especially are in a bind right now based on their reservation date and their use year.

Your thoughts are reasonable. However, how long do we lock ourselves up for? Until a vaccine is available in 12 months (hopefully) and it is effective against the virus as long as it doesn't mutate? I've been to some fairly busy grocery stores and home improvement stores over the past 3 weeks. Am I less likely to catch it at Walmart than I am walking around Disney? I will agree that a June opening is becoming less and less likely now even with the improving models. I think pre-June is not even a conversation anymore. Not because of the science behind this lock-down, but because of the optics of opening these big venues. Universal has already announced closures until May 31. I wish Disney would just go ahead and give a definite closed until date so people know they can cancel reservations, flights, rental cars. A lot of DVC members especially are in a bind right now based on their reservation date and their use year.
I totally agree. We live in the suburbs of NYC. My husband was in Manhattan multiple times from January - mid March. There’s no way IMO he hasn’t been exposed. I am a teacher and I know students of mine who parents had the virus along with members of my school community. I can’t imagine we didn’t pass by it yet. I was super sick at one point. High fever, horrible cough that lasted for weeks, so bad that I could barely breathe. I would be really interested in an antibody test to be honest.

That’s the thing though, I am not shoulder to shoulder with people for long periods of time at the grocery store, and not touching all kinds of surfaces . People go to the parks even when sick so they don’t forfeit their vacation. And in the grocery store I maybe get close to about 10-20 people, in the parks I’m exposed to several hundred over the length of my stay.
Being an ICU nurse I know firsthand how devastating this illness is, even in young healthy people, and don’t want to knowingly put myself in a situation where I could come down with this virus.

That’s the thing though, I am not shoulder to shoulder with people for long periods of time at the grocery store, and not touching all kinds of surfaces . People go to the parks even when sick so they don’t forfeit their vacation. And in the grocery store I maybe get close to about 10-20 people, in the parks I’m exposed to several hundred over the length of my stay.
Being an ICU nurse I know firsthand how devastating this illness is, even in young healthy people, and don’t want to knowingly put myself in a situation where I could come down with this virus.
I contracted the virus when going for a job interview at a hospital the first week of March, the area I was in was not crowded at all, in fact it looked pretty deserted. I washed my hands and everything, I had hand sanitizer I used with abundance, and I still got it. Someone could have coughed and I could have walked right through that area up to several hours after that cough and gotten the virus. It does not matter if you're in a packed park, a grocery store, or even walking through an empty park if someone happened to cough. You could have a meeting of two people and if one of them is asymptomatic the other person can get it, but you adhered to the fewer than 10 people rule and everything, it doesn't matter. My husband and I are going this summer, my kids aren't going again until December, but I would take them this summer if we had a trip with them scheduled. They've been exposed to me and come out fine, no one in my house got sick despite having contact with me in the early days of the virus (and my husband still insisting on sharing a bathroom with me).

As far as May goes, I sincerely doubt that any CM has any idea if they'll be open, and even being a realist-optimist I doubt it will be even from just a logistical standpoint. I had one for mid May just for a quick F&G trip, rescheduled from end of March, and I moved it to the last weekend in August when they're known to open F&W. I figured once they didn't give an end date that the anxiety alone of whether or not they would open in time for the trip would be too much, and I'm glad I made that decision, especially since the room I booked on the fun & sun discount is no longer available. As others have stated, I would probably wait a couple more weeks for trips at the very end of May, but trips closer to the start of May would probably benefit from going ahead and moving to take advantage of room availability and have more time to amend travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter