Has anyone been a victim of a shimming device on an ATM?

Visa MasterCard Amex etc have nothing to do with this they are a brand and charge to use their Logo period--Amex can be different but only with a charge card not debit card. The one in control of all is the issuing Bank and those are the rules that are followed to how fast you get your money back up to the legal limit..... Most online platforms (likely all) will have a settings section where you can set controls on an alerts for Debit card use where it will alert for every time it is used or for transactions over a certain amount so YOU can minimize fraud.... However there are some Banks that are better than others but at the same time they can also cause issues when you travel... Chase happen to be great with Fraud. The best advice is if you must have a debit card Have a savings and a checking allow the ATM card to have access to ONLY the checking set up your online account to have a two step verification where you are texted or called with a pin when signing in and transfer only the funds you need in a given time... Yes a pain but a great way to make sure you have minimal loss and yes set up alerts for transfers from one account to another.... I out you in caps above as the sooner you call the faster it gets stopped... also most online accounts have a freeze in the settings as well... Better as mentioned above is to have an account at an online only as well transfers can be slow but even better protection and yes with transfer alerts and two step verification sign in....

I've seen several posts now with problems at USAA.

you can go to any credit report company and put a credit hold/freeze. we do this when we get an alert from companies we use our credit card at, when customer data is stolen.

Chase is great - as mentioned before. And Capital One seems to be an extreme to reduce risk of fraud. It was near impossible just to activate my credit card because of all the security checks.

Last year someone decided to use my Chase credit card to buy some airline tickets... Chase removed the charges. And I set-up an alert for ANY TIME my card is used..

getting your card skimmed could lead to identity theft if the thief can do social engineering with your card rep. chances are unlikely though.
From title, my guess is that the skimmer is on the atm machine? Just wanted to clarify. I used to get my card numbers stolen quite often, i later realize its mostly skimmers from gas stations. I started with being careful on also check the machines just in case. now, back to OP's issue. I would say to change your habit and grab money from within the bank.
I would also start transitioning all your spending onto credit cards. remember, when ur debit card number is stolen, it is YOUR money that stolen. when a credit card number is stolen, it is the BANKS money thats stolen.
IF CCs arent the thing for you, then perhaps another debit card? you should just transfer enough money to use daily. this isnt ideal imo. there are banks out there that will rebate you atm fees, i have one in my wallet with only $1000 just in case i need to grab money out of a shady atm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter