Hagrids/VelociCoaster and Early Admission Thoughts?

abonomo

Earning My Ears
So we will be headed to the parks on Sunday! (Finally!!!!) We are staying at the Hard Rock. My thought process is to get in line for IOA at 6 am for 7 am EPA. Head straight to Hagrids then the VelociCoaster. We will be wearing fanny packs and so we can skip the lockers. Thoughts on this? Too early? Is there a better way to minimize wait time on these rides? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been to the parks since 2018 so I'm not as familiar with things as I used to be - especially after covid.

it's as good as any plan, that is if Hagrids opens for EE, and if VC opens for EE. Hagrids line build much quicker, since it is a little slower load and more families go for it. VC line is basically a walk on at open. we got through two rides in 22 minutes Sunday morning over memorial day weekend. The line at the gate grows pretty fast now - it was all the way to the splash pads at 7:30 for an 8:00 EE that morning.

We are just returning from our first Universal trip (can't wait to go back!). Three of our four days were early entry at IOA. The first day I'm not sure if Velocicoaster opened early, the second day it did, but yesterday it opened at 9.

Entering IOA with EE, I understand that if you want to ride Hagrids you have to turn right and for VC you have to turn left.

It's this right?

We did both the week after memorial day. Opening time at 9, in line at 7:45. Rushed to Hagrids rode walk-on, then did VC twice with only like a 5 minute wait, then single rider for a 3rd time with like a 5 minute wait (regular line had built quickly at that point).

This was a day that US had EE, but IOA did not.

We did early entry last Thursday and Saturday. Both days we had to go the long way to the rides. They did not take us through Seuss. There were signs saying velocicoaster opens at park opening time. We asked on Saturday and the employee said velocicoaster is not officially supposed to be an early entry ride but that they try to open it during that time every day. They let people into the queue before it opened. We decided to go in when we saw employees riding it and it did open shortly thereafter. We happened to do velocicoaster both early entry days because we lucked into it opening when we were walking by both times. We then were able to do Hagrids before park open too. Side note we greatly prefer Hagrids. Velocicoaster is fun but we prefer a couple cedar point coasters to it. I guess we are coaster snobs lol.

Just wanted to point out Hagrids may or may not be open for early admission. We went last Friday during 8AM early entry and Hagrids was down - they cut off the line and would not let more people in the line. It ended up opening around 10am..so two hours after early entry. Velocicoaster was open early that morning even though it's not officially an early entry ride and I found that the line for Velocicoaster goes pretty fast and more of the outside queue is shaded compared to Hagrids so it seemed cooler. Given that Hagrid's is open, definitely do Hagrids first! Velocicoaster wait times were still manageable couple hours into park opening and the posted wait times were longer than the actual wait. Also, no fanny packs on Velocicoaster - they make you put everything in a locker (lockers are inside the queue) and you go through a metal detector.

Also, no fanny packs on Velocicoaster - they make you put everything in a locker (lockers are inside the queue) and you go through a metal detector.

So, if I have just my phone and wallet in my pockets, will they require me to put them in lockers? Going in Oct and want to make sure how strict is it.

So, if I have just my phone and wallet in my pockets, will they require me to put them in lockers? Going in Oct and want to make sure how strict is it.
Yes on RRR, Hulk & Velocicoaster - everything except a lanyard for holding your ticket media (& express pass if you have that) goes in a locker & you'll go thru a metal detector after the lockers/before boarding the ride. VERY strict on those rides.

Last edited:
Just wanted to point out Hagrids may or may not be open for early admission

Are the opening times on the app correct?

For example. I see today is an 8am early admission for Ioa, Hagrids opens at 8am and Velocicoaster at 9am BUT then I see Escape from Gringotts at 7am (which is really confusing me for an 8am early admission day)

Are the opening times on the app correct?

For example. I see today is an 8am early admission for Ioa, Hagrids opens at 8am and Velocicoaster at 9am BUT then I see Escape from Gringotts at 7am (which is really confusing me for an 8am early admission day)
they are usually correct, but in that case obviously not. Gringotts would open at 7 for an EE at an 8:00 regular hours open.

Thanks...so if I see an EE at 8am for us on Saturday and Hagrids not listed to open until 9 I should go to Velocicoaster?

Thanks...so if I see an EE at 8am for us on Saturday and Hagrids not listed to open until 9 I should go to Velocicoaster?
The line for Hagrids will always be longer than VC. If there is EE, there is no reason to get in line behind all the EE people for Hagrid. Hope it goes VQ (pay attention to the app right at posted park opening time (and the next 5 minutes or so) so if VQ drops, you can jump on it. Also, if you have more than 1 person with the Universal ap, you can get multiple VQ times for your party. its not like disney.

The line for Hagrids will always be longer than VC. If there is EE, there is no reason to get in line behind all the EE people for Hagrid. Hope it goes VQ (pay attention to the app right at posted park opening time (and the next 5 minutes or so) so if VQ drops, you can jump on it. Also, if you have more than 1 person with the Universal ap, you can get multiple VQ times for your party. its not like disney.
Does each person with the app need to have everyone’s tickets on their app?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!