Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind ‘Holiday Remix’ will debut on November 25th!

Does it still feel like a Disney " family friendly " coaster, or does it feel like a six flags, I wanna get off this things, its scary coaster?

For the record, I like Rocking rollercoaster, minus the launch spin, yet I don't mind the Everest backwards part.

Came here to ask the same question - hoping to convince my youngest who doesn't like "roller coasters" that this will be a worthwhile experience.

She's fine with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train but really dislikes anything with bigger drops/thrills.

anyone hear anything about soft opening??? we so want to ride this but our trip ends on the 23rd so may have to wait til next trip unless we get luck with some pixie dust magic
From what I saw, they are sold out on the previews, unless they open up different days.

GOTG is a roller coaster. A very smooth coaster, but still a coaster. I don’t want to give any spoilers, so I won’t describe everything. There are some darker parts that reminded me of Space Mountain (not quite that dark, but still probably too dark for some kids who always want a light on.). If someone hates all coasters, they won’t like this. If someone hates coasters just because they’re so jerky and rough, then this might be worth a try.

On another thread some described the ride as “RockNRoller Coaster and Space Mountain had a baby, raised by Rise of the Resistance”, and that’s a good description. If your loved one hates all of those, this probably isn’t the ride for them. I didn’t pay attention to the height restriction, sorry. They had child swap even during the preview, so you could maybe split your party and have one adult test the viability for the younger/anxious/motion-sick-prone members of your party. (I’m not sure if you can do exactly that during child swap, but it’s worth asking.)

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Motion Sickness Tips and Tricks

There’s no way to sugarcoat it, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind has a higher than average ability to induce motion sickness. Disney’s newest roller coaster is an “Omnicoaster”, meaning that Imagineers have programmed turning into the ride experience. From a story standpoint, this means that the roller coaster vehicles produce a wonderful experience for guests in all rows because it has the ability to turn to face the action. From a motion sickness standpoint, this can cause problems.

Came here to ask the same question - hoping to convince my youngest who doesn't like "roller coasters" that this will be a worthwhile experience.

She's fine with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train but really dislikes anything with bigger drops/thrills.
as Suz333 said - it is first and foremost a roller coaster. It is a roller coaster car, on a roller coaster track, with accelerations and banked curves and other typical rollercoaster elements. However, the cars are not like typical cars in that each car can rotate on its axis to move both left and right, while the base of the car that is moving on the rails continues forward. So unlike EE which just has the car go backwards with you sitting in the same position, the cars each rotate 180 degrees and then it goes backwards. And during the forward movement along the track the car rotates 90 degrees or more to the left so you are looking forward in your seat but actually looking to the left side of the track at the screen show leading the ride, and keeps rotating to bring you back to the show on the right side when the track turns, etc. The movement is really just the car rotating on its axis to provide more ability to see the show as it takes place all around the track. This is obviously what is disorientating to those who are getting sick, and that fact that the roller coaster train is still moving forward and up and down and into curves.

I've seen all the preview videos so far, but trying to get an idea of motion sickness. Anyone here ride yet and what do you think? Some people a little motion issues and others had none.
Other people have said similar to this, but in my own words:

The "spinning" isn't really "spinning" as much as it is "rotating". It wasn't jerky or haphazard - it felt really smooth and fluid to me.

Personally: I don't think the "rotating" itself is what's causing the problem. At least, that didn't seem to be what was affecting me.

The real overarching problem for me: the videos.

(For the record, I'm "medium" in terms of motion sickness issues.)

Without spoiling anything, Guardians reminds me gently of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal. Not for anything obvious, and certainly not in the type of ride that it is - but in the fact that Forbidden Journey takes you from scene to scene, and wants to you to look at things and watch videos as you're passing by. This sets my motion sickness off big time, and is one of the reason I don't run over to ride it.

On Guardians, there are images being projected around you as you ride, which is where the ride story is. The vehicle is essentially turning you to watch them.

When I rode Guardians, I spent most of the ride just enjoying the movement - I knew the videos were there, but I wasn't actively watching them. I had no issues. But about two-thirds of the way through, I realized I was missing most of the story and tried to start paying attention. That's when my motion sickness went haywire.

Fortunately, it was late in the ride, so I only felt gently wonky afterward. But the taste of it was enough to give me pause.

If I had a suggestion for anyone who knows they'll have motion sickness issues - try not to focus your eyes on the videos as you're passing by. Just pretend they're scenery, and focus on everything else around you.

It's still a really fun ride without the story. (I've seen several folks mention that they had trouble following the story. Even after I started watching, I still couldn't exactly figure out how it ended.)

Last edited:

The "spinning" isn't really "spinning" as much as it is "rotating". It wasn't jerky or haphazard - it felt really smooth and fluid to me.

Personally: I don't think the "rotating" itself is what's causing the problem. At least, that didn't seem to be what was affecting me.

Without spoiling anything, Guardians reminds me gently of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal. Not for anything obvious, and certainly not in the type of ride that it is - but in the fact that Forbidden Journey takes you from scene to scene, and wants to you to look at things and watch videos as you're passing by. This sets my motion sickness off big time, and is one of the reason I don't run over to ride it.

On Guardians, there are images being projecting around you as you ride, which is where the ride story is. The vehicle is essentially turning you to watch them.

When I rode Guardians, I spent most of the ride just enjoying the movement - I knew the videos were there, but I wasn't actively watching them. I had no issues. But about two-thirds of the way through, I realized I was missing most of the story and tried to start paying attention. That's when my motion sickness went haywire.

Fortunately, it was late in the ride, so I only felt gently wonky afterward. But the taste of it was enough to give me pause.

If I had a suggestion for anyone who knows they'll have motion sickness issues - try not to focus your eyes on the videos as you're passing by. Just pretend they're scenery, and focus on everything else around you.

It's still a really fun ride without the story. (I've seen several folks mention that they had trouble following the story. Even after I started watching, I still couldn't exactly figure out how it ended.)
Thanks for the detailed account.

Thanks so much for all the motion sickness feedback. I think the videos would definitely do it for me. I sorta get "weird" with Runaway Railway. The huge screens and all that.

I read a tip on Instagram (Brooke McDonald I think?) from someone who gets motion sickness and she said it was the screens for her. She found watching the track & ride vehicles instead of the screens helped her.

thats good to here because PW was the most painful horrible ride I have ever been on and just hearing it being compared to PW would make me afraid to ride it.

PW was out in the open and you could see what was coming and had a sense of where you were.... could have been a very different attraction inside a dark ride building with a few screens and audio-animatronics. Eight way it was an attraction in a park with very few attractions...

On Guardians, there are images being projected around you as you ride, which is where the ride story is. The vehicle is essentially turning you to watch them.

After riding it last Monday I can say this is probably the best assessment. I don't get motion sickness, but I was too busy laughing / enjoying the song we got (Conga) to really pay attention to some of the video segment items. The only thing I can add is that some of the focus objects are that video variety and some are static three dimensional objects if that makes any difference in someone's motion sickness level determination. This ride was such a blast, I wouldn't be surprised if you see some FoP opening level wait times when standby becomes available for it. That and I'm really wishing once Tron opens they completely gut Space Mountain to the shell and reimagine it with some of the things they do on this ride, even from just a lighting / track perspective (omnicoaster not required).

May I suggest doing this ride on an empty stomach?

I'm not prone to motion sickness, but there are definitely some rides that I would never do within an hour after eating. Forbidden Journey is squarely in that category.

May I suggest doing this ride on an empty stomach?

I'm not prone to motion sickness, but there are definitely some rides that I would never do within an hour after eating. Forbidden Journey is squarely in that category.
See, I’m the opposite. If I ride FoP or Forbidden Journey on an empty stomach, I’m going to have a major problem on my hands. I have to eat something prior - like some goldfish crackers or a granola bar or have eaten a meal in the near past. It’s funny how motion sickness affects different people.

See, I’m the opposite. If I ride FoP or Forbidden Journey on an empty stomach, I’m going to have a major problem on my hands. I have to eat something prior - like some goldfish crackers or a granola bar or have eaten a meal in the near past. It’s funny how motion sickness affects different people.

Me too. When motion sickness kicks in hard I have to eat something. An empty stomach is not a happy one.

I’m not sure if this is the appropriate thread… but how long do you wait in line to ride when your AP preview window opens?

My preview time is 2 PM, so assuming everything goes smoothly, approx. what time should I be finished? Asking because I have a 6 PM ADR at Disney Springs.

I’m not sure if this is the appropriate thread… but how long do you wait in line to ride when your AP preview window opens?

My preview time is 2 PM, so assuming everything goes smoothly, approx. what time should I be finished? Asking because I have a 6 PM ADR at Disney Springs.
My preview started at 12:30 on May 9th and when I checked my phone after the ride it was 1:50 so I would estimate the wait to be 40-60 minutes.

We were able to watch vloggers we follow ride GotG 4x last night for a D23 event. Did anyone else notice that it isn't Bradley Cooper as voice of Rocket or Vin Diesel for Groot? You do get Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista. Maybe that's nit picking, but it sort of diminished the pre show a tad for me.

The ride looked fun to me. Doable from the standpoint that it didn't look to have intense hills and the motion parts of the ride seemed pretty short. But tough to tell from a vlog with how dark it is. I do know that one of the vloggers is not into big coasters and such (she wouldn't go on EE or RnR), and she seemed fine with going on it 3x in a short period. They mostly compared it to Space Mt., because of the darkness, but without the jerkiness, intensity closer to Mine Train.

We were able to watch vloggers we follow ride GotG 4x last night for a D23 event. Did anyone else notice that it isn't Bradley Cooper as voice of Rocket or Vin Diesel for Groot? You do get Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista. Maybe that's nit picking, but it sort of diminished the pre show a tad for me.
I noticed with Rocket, and, honestly, it did take away something for me. It's especially obvious in one of the videos in the queue.

I don't know that that was entirely it - but something felt "off" about most of the video in terms of the characters. Mission Breakout feels almost exactly like a Guardians movie. (Rocket in the pre-show is incredible.) But, somehow, this just felt like it wasn't quite the real thing.

To be fair, I only rode it once - I do want to ride it a few more times to give it a chance.

Last edited:
I noticed with Rocket, and, honestly, it did take away something for me. It's especially obvious in one of the videos in the queue.

I don't know that that was entirely it - but something felt "off" about most of the video in terms of the characters. Mission Breakout feels almost exactly like a Guardians movie. (Rocket in the pre-show is incredible.) But, somehow, this just like it wasn't quite the real thing.

To be fair, I only rode it once - I do want to ride it a few more times to give it a chance.
I do like that there are, what 5 different songs that plays for your rides at random. But it would be even cooler if they added some more. I noticed the ending scene with Drax varies a little bit, which is neat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter