Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

Does GoTG really havin staying power? I didn't see the movie, still not very interested in it. This seems like they're willing to put anything in

The movie was hugely popular, there is a second movie coming out, they have their own animated series, and the characters will be in the upcoming Avengers Infinity War 2 movie package which will be HUGE money makers. Lots of staying power and a smart move by Disney to cash in on this. I'm very much looking forward to this attraction.

So you have things like the Seas, Land, Air, Space, Communication, Energy, Technology and Innovation but can all tie them into Disney film properties like Finding Nemo/Dory, Up, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wreck-it-Ralph, Tron etc. And in World Showcase you show the culture and beside it, how the culture is reflected in Disney movies. Like Frozen for Norway, Snow White/Tangled for Germany, Beauty and the Beast/Ratatouille for France etc. So you end up keeping the core of Epcot, but instead of corporate sponsorship, you have Disney film and legacy tied into the different aspects of each area/pavilion.
That's actually pretty smart if you ask me. Although I don't mind "Movie-based rides" in World Showcase I would prefer the areas surrounding it stay the country instead of the movie if that makes any sense. For example sure have Frozen ever after, but don't change the rest of Norway into Arendelle

I didn't have any formal legal training as a Casualty Claims Adjuster, and yet I had to read legal contracts, and make legal decisions as part of my job. Guess I was practing pseudo law for huge municipalities.
Fine, I give up. Law is easy and random people pontificating about the Marvel contract online probably know more about it than Disney's lawyers. I am sorry I brought it up.

Guardians of the Galaxy should have its own ride without remodeling or replace any old ride even though some people I know think Ellen's and Nye's ride and views on evolution make as much sense as talking trees.

I'm excited about this. GotG doesn't rank as my 'favorite movie ever', but I really enjoyed it.

All in all, I'm glad EPCOT is receiving its much needed and due attention. We can probably argue left and right about whether or not they're going about it the right way and never really come to a common consensus, because nothing will ever please everyone. But I think one thing everyone can agree on is that EPCOT has so much potential with so much wasted space that it's heartwrenching to those who love it.

As far as things changing from the 'original' EPCOT theme and direction... EPCOT never was what it was meant to be. Imagineers in the 70s and 80s did what they could with what they felt was right for the park at the time, but they still took a different route from what Walt wanted.

Now we just have to trust that our own set of Imagineers will do what they can to give it a new breath of life, even if it means yet again taking a new direction. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but change has to happen. We keep moving forward :)

I don't know how they are going to add speed to Ellen. I think they should redo test track and put it there. And then cover the track part.

Guardians of the Galaxy should have its own ride without remodeling or replace any old ride even though some people I know think Ellen's and Nye's ride and views on evolution make as much sense as talking trees.

Absolutely! They need to stop replacing existing rides, especially in a park that needs more rides! For once, just add a net new attraction!

Absolutely! They need to stop replacing existing rides, especially in a park that needs more rides! For once, just add a net new attraction!
I can't imagine something high energy going into UoE unless they plan to tear the whole thing down. That would be a shame because it's an interesting building.

Fine, I give up. Law is easy and random people pontificating about the Marvel contract online probably know more about it than Disney's lawyers. I am sorry I brought it up.

I didn't say it was easy, but as someone with little to no legal training, can look at contracts and make legal determinations, then yes internet lawyers can make determinations too. They just may not be correct.....although everyone on the internet is always correct.

There's incredible potential for Epcot, I know people have very different opinions but movie-based rides seem like the logical step forward in my mind if Disney wants that park to absorb more crowds and keep up with the neighbours.

I highly doubt it would happen but I'd love to see things like Mary Poppins dark ride in England, Mulan based attraction in China, and get rid of some of the incredibly dated pavilions... or at least change up the features. I'm Canadian but Canada is 20 years beyond anything that resembles the country other than the building that looks like a Fairmont hotel! Heck, I'd even be thrilled if they relocated Magic Carpets from MK and placed it in Morocco somehow, it would be nice to have space to move in that area of MK.

Anyway, everyone is welcome to their own opinion but I feel really excited by the possible Guardians of the Galaxy expansion... good things are to come!

There's incredible potential for Epcot, I know people have very different opinions but movie-based rides seem like the logical step forward in my mind if Disney wants that park to absorb more crowds and keep up with the neighbours.

I highly doubt it would happen but I'd love to see things like Mary Poppins dark ride in England, Mulan based attraction in China, and get rid of some of the incredibly dated pavilions... or at least change up the features. I'm Canadian but Canada is 20 years beyond anything that resembles the country other than the building that looks like a Fairmont hotel! Heck, I'd even be thrilled if they relocated Magic Carpets from MK and placed it in Morocco somehow, it would be nice to have space to move in that area of MK.

Anyway, everyone is welcome to their own opinion but I feel really excited by the possible Guardians of the Galaxy expansion... good things are to come!
I could get behind this. As much as I love EPCOT, something has got to give.

This whole marvel thing with Universal is annoying. Besides, while I agree that GoG is a good movie, one of the best for Marvel even. It's definitely one of the weaker performing films at the Box Office for Marvel.

I can't imagine something high energy going into UoE unless they plan to tear the whole thing down. That would be a shame because it's an interesting building

I don't know, as it is a big enough space, maybe they could just gut it and the track and put something in on a par with Spiderman or Transformers over at Universal (And we've all see how quickly stuff like that can go up, Disney just needs to poach a few peeps and stump up the construction cash :-))

This whole marvel thing with Universal is annoying. Besides, while I agree that GoG is a good movie, one of the best for Marvel even. It's definitely one of the weaker performing films at the Box Office for Marvel.

Nearly 800 million at the box office is weak?

With the way things are going lately and the lack of attention that EPCOT (my personal favorite park) is getting, it would make more sense to work the movies into the existing countries. Like another PP said, sure have Frozen in Norway, but don't make Norway into Arendelle. The same would go for the other countries, and it would be very cool to get updates into the countries themselves.

The entire front end of the park does need some kind of re-theme. I don't think you need to change the name, since it's recognizable for many and they already dropped the acronym and just have it go by EPCOT. It's a mish-mash right now and there is really no logical sense of having club cool next to starbucks and figment in the same front end as test track. Innovations is nice for the AC and the distractions for some younger kids, but again it's just completely dated at this point. There could be a lot of improvements made if the time allows for it.

With the way things are going lately and the lack of attention that EPCOT (my personal favorite park) is getting, it would make more sense to work the movies into the existing countries. Like another PP said, sure have Frozen in Norway, but don't make Norway into Arendelle. The same would go for the other countries, and it would be very cool to get updates into the countries themselves.

The entire front end of the park does need some kind of re-theme. I don't think you need to change the name, since it's recognizable for many and they already dropped the acronym and just have it go by EPCOT. It's a mish-mash right now and there is really no logical sense of having club cool next to starbucks and figment in the same front end as test track. Innovations is nice for the AC and the distractions for some younger kids, but again it's just completely dated at this point. There could be a lot of improvements made if the time allows for it.
I loved Epcot, but also remember Epcot was not my favorite as a kid (still liked it, but wanted more rides). As an adult we appreciate it more, but we easily forget what it lacked. While some stuck on the past will never be able to look past Arendell, I think what FEA did for the Norway Pavilian has also been good - the theming is great, adds so much more, adds a more popular ride. Just imagine for a minute, if in 10 years, every country had a fun ride an the same level of theming Norway now has (yes I know not likely, but still imagine). The park would have a whole lot of traffic, and not lost it's theme there.

Now we have no idea what they have in store for GotG in Epcot, but there is potential. I think people could argue about it being anywhere, so if you get past that, and think about the potential it could bring, and maybe the possibilities of how Disney could tie all of Future world together (maybe not in same theme as now) that is still unique to the other parks, then you see there is potential.

I know some are hard to trust Disney, but I am not. I think Epcot is a lot harder park then anybody realizes. it was a great theme, but that ship has sailed. It just can't work, from having to get sponsors, to the constant updates needed...Disney realized it long ago, and while us "casual" fans haven't figured it out yet, I think many others have.

I loved Epcot, but also remember Epcot was not my favorite as a kid (still liked it, but wanted more rides). As an adult we appreciate it more, but we easily forget what it lacked. While some stuck on the past will never be able to look past Arendell, I think what FEA did for the Norway Pavilian has also been good - the theming is great, adds so much more, adds a more popular ride. Just imagine for a minute, if in 10 years, every country had a fun ride an the same level of theming Norway now has (yes I know not likely, but still imagine). The park would have a whole lot of traffic, and not lost it's theme there.

Now we have no idea what they have in store for GotG in Epcot, but there is potential. I think people could argue about it being anywhere, so if you get past that, and think about the potential it could bring, and maybe the possibilities of how Disney could tie all of Future world together (maybe not in same theme as now) that is still unique to the other parks, then you see there is potential.

I know some are hard to trust Disney, but I am not. I think Epcot is a lot harder park then anybody realizes. it was a great theme, but that ship has sailed. It just can't work, from having to get sponsors, to the constant updates needed...Disney realized it long ago, and while us "casual" fans haven't figured it out yet, I think many others have.

I agree, if the head honchos were able to recognize this, it would mean awesome things for EPCOT. Also, I'm only 22 so I think I still qualify on the kid-end of things, and EPCOT has been my favorite since our 2010 trip, when I was 16. I was never a big ride person but absolutely love the cultures and the country theming. So I agree that it's good for those who are more interested in cultural lessons or in gentle rides/shows, but not for those who are ride junkies :)

I agree, if the head honchos were able to recognize this, it would mean awesome things for EPCOT. Also, I'm only 22 so I think I still qualify on the kid-end of things, and EPCOT has been my favorite since our 2010 trip, when I was 16. I was never a big ride person but absolutely love the cultures and the country theming. So I agree that it's good for those who are more interested in cultural lessons or in gentle rides/shows, but not for those who are ride junkies :)
I'm a back-in-the-day Epcot lover, but my mourning period for the good old days is long over. If adding cartoon-based rides to the countries gets children interested in those cultures and traveling outside their comfort zone (and you don't even need to leave the United States - we offer PLENTY of different cultures), lets do it. If knocking down anachronistic attractions like Energy and replacing them with things like GoG is going to bring more people to the park to be explore the countries, awesome - I would love if there was an educational bend to it, but they can sneak it into a ride just like vegetables get snuck into kids meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter