Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

They could have their merchandise sales and everything else they want if they could just figure out how to make an over-arching plan and then sell the plan on its merits. Like, we're building a stupendous new Superheroes land, here are the exciting new attractions planned and here's how a re-imagined Tower fits into our great new land.
Isn't that exactly what Disney announced at Comic-Con? That the GotG overlay on ToT is the first step in a larger Marvel land at DCA?

Isn't that exactly what Disney announced at Comic-Con? That the GotG overlay on ToT is the first step in a larger Marvel land at DCA?

Maybe they should sketch out the new, original attractions first. Throwing out a quick, cheap overlay and promising unspecificed "great things" in the future is like passing a post-dated check.

It's as if Universal was to overlay Dueling Dragons with Harry Potter's Dragon Challenge and then tell their fans, "But don't worry we'll build tons of great, new Harry Potter stuff as soon as our accountants tell us that we can start feeding cash into the project a little bit each quarter based on capital set aside from increased merchandise sales with a projected completion date 2024 ... plus or minus based on advance bookings, economic factors and other contingencies ... so just hang in there!"

Maybe they should sketch out the new, original attractions first. Throwing out a quick, cheap overlay and promising unspecificed "great things" in the future is like passing a post-dated check.

It's as if Universal was to overlay Dueling Dragons with Harry Potter's Dragon Challenge and then tell their fans, "But don't worry we'll build tons of great, new Harry Potter stuff as soon as our accountants tell us that we can start feeding cash into the project a little bit each quarter based on capital set aside from increased merchandise sales with a projected completion date 2024 ... plus or minus based on advance bookings, economic factors and other contingencies ... so just hang in there!"
Disney imagineers do sketch out tons of new original ideas. The Disney executives though don't think those ideas are safe and would rather go for cheaper IP overlays.

Just an FYI, as I haven't seen it here yet.

Spirit has put some damper on this for now. Actually he has scared WDWMagic to death....

Per him, there is still some push to do GOTG overlay in Orlando, instead of the Epcot version.

Per Spirit, IF the GOTG in Epcot gets green lighted, then the overlay will sit and wait...for quite a while. Many in Orlando are pushing against the tower due to all the things shut down and cost. Biggest argument would be that it would have to wait for SWL and TSL to be completed.

Only time will tell....

Spirit has put some damper on this for now. Actually he has scared WDWMagic to death....

Per him, there is still some push to do GOTG overlay in Orlando, instead of the Epcot version.

Per Spirit, IF the GOTG in Epcot gets green lighted, then the overlay will sit and wait...for quite a while. Many in Orlando are pushing against the tower due to all the things shut down and cost. Biggest argument would be that it would have to wait for SWL and TSL to be completed.

Only time will tell....

Maybe that will give everyone saying "I'm ok with it since it's just at DLR" something to think about.

I've never been to ToT at DLR, but the concept of changing the one at DHS just baffles me. It's a flawless ride right now, from the theming inside and out (and the perfect integration with old-school Hollywood), to the story that explains what happened, to the fact that you're in a freaking ELEVATOR, which beautifully plays on fears that everyone can relate to. You're in an elevator, with creepiness all around. Is this thing safe? Hey, wait - you're moving horizontally down the hotel hallway??!! You see ghosts of the family who died in an elevator accident? And then the wonderful freefall(s).

There is no way to improve this ride with any form of GoG overlay. Absolutely the worst idea ever.

I've never been to ToT at DLR, but the concept of changing the one at DHS just baffles me. It's a flawless ride right now, from the theming inside and out (and the perfect integration with old-school Hollywood), to the story that explains what happened, to the fact that you're in a freaking ELEVATOR, which beautifully plays on fears that everyone can relate to. You're in an elevator, with creepiness all around. Is this thing safe? Hey, wait - you're moving horizontally down the hotel hallway??!! You see ghosts of the family who died in an elevator accident? And then the wonderful freefall(s).

There is no way to improve this ride with any form of GoG overlay. Absolutely the worst idea ever.

I'm not sure that matters as long as they can move more merchandise. Or build more loyalty to the franchise for the next film.

Only time will tell....
I posted it in the news round up thread

Only time will tell....
If the Epcot plans happen then it's unlikely the ToT overlay ever happens in Florida. If the Epcot plans don't happen then the ToT overlay will likely happen after Toy story opens.

I would much rather have Guardians in Epcot in Energy rather than ToT.

I'm starting to think that Hollywood is a better place for Guardians. Like one of the posters in the Aerosmith thread said they can overlay Rock n Rollercoaster as well.

The rumor I've heard is that Disney's rights to the Twilight zone are coming due. So in all likelihood the ride is going to get a revamp. At DLR it's going to be Guardians. At WDW, I haven't heard what is replacing Twilight Zone as the theme for ToT. Maybe it'll be villians ;)
However, Guardians at Epcot is looking like a pretty good bet.

The rumor I've heard is that Disney's rights to the Twilight zone are coming due. So in all likelihood the ride is going to get a revamp. At DLR it's going to be Guardians. At WDW, I haven't heard what is replacing Twilight Zone as the theme for ToT. Maybe it'll be villians ;)
Nope it doesn't have anything to do with the rights as far as I am aware.

Even if this were the case, and they were going to be cheap and not keep the Twilight Zone license, there's no reason they couldn't record a new pre-show and keep the overall spooky element. My kids had never even heard of the Twilight Zone and they loved it. Rod Serling and the TZ music could be switched out and it wouldn't lose much for many people.

Having said that... please please please please don't take it away, Iger!

I saw a few things say it could have to do with rights as well. Nothing confirmed but I wouldn't rule it out either
If it was rights I think the insiders who broke the story would've said so. While possible I think it's not likely that is the cause.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter