• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuity on DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgoagainsoon

North Central PA
SO, let me make sure I understand this: When using the DDP, we now pay OOP for the gratuity, which they PREFER is 18-20%, HOWEVER, we can leave whatever we are comfortable with (more or less). AND, that we can either have that charged to our KTTW card or just leave cash on the table?

Does this apply to the FREE dining, as well?

TIA

SO, let me make sure I understand this: When using the DDP, we now pay OOP for the gratuity, which they PREFER is 18-20%, HOWEVER, we can leave whatever we are comfortable with (more or less). AND, that we can either have that charged to our KTTW card or just leave cash on the table?

Does this apply to the FREE dining, as well?

TIA

It applies to ALL customers EXCEPT those who are using DDE (Disney Dining Experience - NOT the same as the Disney Dining Plan) or any party of 6 or more. These two categories of customers will pay an automatic gratuity of 18% on the total bill amount.

You are correct that the Disney Dining Plan no longer includes the tip.

When we went in Feb, all 3 TS waitors asked if we were charging the tip or leaving it in cash. They took the cash when they took the KTTW card to deduct the credits. It was kind of awkward.. I suppose we could have told them we preferred to leave it on the table later but they were very forward about it. I guess they wanted to make sure we tipped?

When we went in Feb, all 3 TS waitors asked if we were charging the tip or leaving it in cash. They took the cash when they took the KTTW card to deduct the credits. It was kind of awkward.. I suppose we could have told them we preferred to leave it on the table later but they were very forward about it. I guess they wanted to make sure we tipped?
Can't blame them for wanting to make sure...they work hard and I bet this is really hurting them with people not paying the tip like they should

Disney has put their employees in a akward position by removing the tip.

I always tip 18 - 20% or more

But if they want to only add 18% I leave it and don't tip additional unless the service and attitude merits it. Since at the time that was the norm.

Now that the tip isn't included I will base the tip on my service.

We had a rude server last 4th of July at the Liberty Tree Tavern. We were a table of 7 when we were finally seated after many who arrived after us (large parties also) We proceeded to have the worst server ever. He was slow and disappeared for long amounts of time. He had such a bad attitude too. Servers flew round us and people had their food way before us and refills too. He knew he had his standard tip due :confused: to our group size and he treated us awful. Next time that happens I'll be sure to call for a manager on the spot to take care of that.

I left cash tips for all our TS meals. On the sales slip, I just zeroed out the tip amount and left cash on the table. No one had a problem with this and there was never any confusion. These days with most everyone charging everything, I think waitstaff likes to go home with some cash at the end of their shift. I cooked in a restaurant for years, my wife waitressed also. Everyone loves cash. :goodvibes We charged everything (resort, tix, DDP) beforehand, so I wanted to pay all incidentals in cash. Checkout tab was zero $. :woohoo:

The charged tips get converted to cash for the servers before they go home. But maybe it's easier to declare less of it on your taxes if it never shows up on charge slips.

The charged tips get converted to cash for the servers before they go home. But maybe it's easier to declare less of it on your taxes if it never shows up on charge slips.

My mother works at Artist Point and ironically we were just talking sbou this at Disney the charged tips aren't converted in cash. Any charged tips are put into the employees next paycheck. That was one of the reason's the wait staff hated the tip being included into the DDP. They were hoping that more people would just pay cash for their tips.

I'm not sure why they thought that; was it like that before 2005? I cannot imagine it was: As a resort guest, I would never carry cash at WDW.

I'm not sure why they thought that; was it like that before 2005? I cannot imagine it was: As a resort guest, I would never carry cash at WDW.

I am not sure, I have a feeling their union may have had something to do with it, but not positive. We carry very little cash either, but we also don't use the DDP. We always charge the tip along with the bill. MAybe they thought they'd get better tips...I have no clue, but they are beginning to realize (according to my mother anyway) they are making less money without the tip being included on the DDP.

I'm with you, we don't carry cash either,especially on vacation. Checks, yes, cash nope.

I am not sure, I have a feeling their union may have had something to do with it, but not positive. We carry very little cash either, but we also don't use the DDP. We always charge the tip along with the bill. MAybe they thought they'd get better tips...I have no clue, but they are beginning to realize (according to my mother anyway) they are making less money without the tip being included on the DDP.

I read on one of the thread that Disney was considering changes to the DDP at mid-year due to the increasing amount of complaints from visitors and cast members. Have the CMs heard anything? thanks

So let me get this right, because we WILL be paying cash for all of our tips. When they take your KTTW card to deduct the credits, they ASK for the tip/cash then???? You don't just leave it like you would when you are finished and stand up to leave? Please only respond if you have done this, not only if you are assuming, btw.

I read on one of the thread that Disney was considering changes to the DDP at mid-year due to the increasing amount of complaints from visitors and cast members. Have the CMs heard anything? thanks
Not that any of them are sharing. It is almost surely not the case -- just a matter of wishful thinking on the part of those posters. The kind of changes guests want to see would almost surely be accompanied by price increases and that they cannot do until the end of the year.

However, what you may be hearing is that next year's Dining Plan (the 2009 Dining Plan, starting January 1) will be structured differently. THAT we'll actually learn about over the next month or two.

It applies to ALL customers EXCEPT those who are using DDE (Disney Dining Experience - NOT the same as the Disney Dining Plan) or any party of 6 or more. These two categories of customers will pay an automatic gratuity of 18% on the total bill amount.

If we are going with my in-laws and we all sit together (which is more than 6 people), but each family has their own plan, do we pay the automatic 18%, or will it be each party at the table leaving what they feel they are comfortable with?

Once again, TIA.

If we are going with my in-laws and we all sit together (which is more than 6 people), but each family has their own plan, do we pay the automatic 18%, or will it be each party at the table leaving what they feel they are comfortable with?

Once again, TIA.

Each family will be billed for an 18% tip on the actual cost of what they ordered on the plan.

As long as there are 6 people at the table, the auto tip will be added.

Regardless of how many rooms you are split if your party is 6 or more than the 18% is automatic. Of course it is split by the room cards so noone is paying anyone else's share. Example: You have say four in your family, and you are meeting up with granny and the cousins, so there are three in your sister's family and two in granny's room since she has gramps with her. The server will ask how the bill should be split up--granny and gramps on one reciept, your sister and her kids on one and your family on one. Your party is 9 so you all pay an additional 18% on whatever your order total was before tax.

Does anyone know if you can use a Disney gift card or Disney Rewards Visa card to pay for the tip or is it only cash or credit?

I don't know. I willprobably talk to my mom tomorrow (tonight is Bingo night;) ) so I will ask her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter