Grand Californian Super Thread

We are there in April as well. :-) While the lobby will still be intact (from what I've read), all the other construction (and pools being closed) has us thinking about changing hotels. I've heard wonderful things about Napa Rose.

I have to admit we were going to book there for March, but between all the hotel construction and the construction in the park I think we will probably wait until things settle down some. Sorry it's affecting your trip. :(

I know at this point nobody can say for sure, but do you think by Fall 2017 means before the Thanksgiving holidays. Trying to decide where we want to stay next year.

Does anyone have any links to a map of the villas at the GC? The search I did came up with only one but it was linked to a page that was from 2010 and didn't load. It linked to an iCloud page that wanted log in info. THANK YOU! I know the villas are in one wing near the entrance to DCA, but other than that, I don't know anything. This is our first trip to DLR AND the VGC. :)

I have to admit we were going to book there for March, but between all the hotel construction and the construction in the park I think we will probably wait until things settle down some. Sorry it's affecting your trip. :(

We'll be okay since we will be at Disney :-). I'm not as worried about the park construction. Every year I go to WDW and there's always some sort of park construction going on. Just got back a few weeks ago and most of DHS is "closed". We still managed to have a great time. I was (am) just bummed that the hotel will be in reno mode during our visit and DH has never stayed there before.

Does anyone have any links to a map of the villas at the GC? The search I did came up with only one but it was linked to a page that was from 2010 and didn't load. It linked to an iCloud page that wanted log in info. THANK YOU! I know the villas are in one wing near the entrance to DCA, but other than that, I don't know anything. This is our first trip to DLR AND the VGC. :)

Here you go ............

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5929585/VGC_color_6.pdf

Thanks goes to Nonsuch for the maps !

You're welcome :goodvibes
I created the "floor by floor' maps to assist with villa requests.

One of my many overdue projects is to make a similar map for the entire hotel.

The floor by floor map has been most helpful for planning our 1st visit to DL .
We have a trip coming up in January in a 1 bedroom, and still pondering over what to request. I am not sure if a specific room number is best or a general location. We will be staying for 7 nights so, I am sure that complicates the reservation request.
For a good park view 1 bedroom, I am thinking 4514 or 5514 ?
Just not exactly sure where the DVC park viewing area is , in relation to the map.

Random exterior pictures

I had a hard time picturing where the parking lot was in proximity to the hotel before our stay, so I took these from the street in front of the parking lot (actually, across the street from the parking lot).

DSC03503 - Copy.JPG
DSC03613 - Copy.JPG

The front door for the lobby and valet drop off/luggage drop off DSC03615 - Copy.JPG

The entrance from California Adventure into the GCH DSC03612 - Copy.JPG

Here you go ............

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5929585/VGC_color_6.pdf
Thanks goes to Nonsuch for the maps !
Thanks for that updated link. I knew Nonsuch had created maps but the only link I could find was an old one. This was VERY helpful! And thanks to Nonsuch!

We too were using it to plan our requests. Knowing now that there are 1st floor studios, I'm just going to request a higher floor room. I LOATHE the low levels.

I am one that usually books at most just weeks or even days in advance so I do not know the answer to this question...how far out is the booking window for the GCH?

If I wanna book for next NYE 2018 already...when does that reservation window open?

Our view, including a side-view of WOC. This is a standard room.
dsc03366-copy-jpg.207808
You may have been upgraded to a Park View :goodvibes
It's difficult to know, since view categories are one of the mysteries of GCH :laughing:

It's difficult to know, since view categories are one of the mysteries of GCH :laughing:
They are CONSTANTLY changing those at WDW. What looks like one thing on a architectural plan can and often is quite another in real life. They'll give the most expensive rates to as many rooms as possible until complaints overwhelm them and they have to downgrade some.

When we first checked in, our room wasn't ready but the person checking us in showed us on the map what wing we would be in and said we were on the 5th floor. I could see that the front of the wing faced the front drive and the back faced CA. I assumed that we would be facing the valet/luggage drop off area in the front and asked if they had a quieter location, maybe in the courtyard? He gave me a funny look and pointed to CA on the map and said, "This is California Adventure, right here." I immediately asked if we had been upgraded to a Theme Park view and he said that it was a standard room. I again assumed that we were facing the drive but decided to drop the subject because I remembered reading not to argue if you get a vibe from the CM checking you in. I was thrilled when I opened the blinds to our balcony! We spent a lot of time enjoying our view. I still can't figure out how that can possibly be considered a standard room, but maybe it's because it's down a long hallway and pretty far away from everything. TOTALLY worth the walk!

When we first checked in, our room wasn't ready but the person checking us in showed us on the map what wing we would be in and said we were on the 5th floor. I could see that the front of the wing faced the front drive and the back faced CA. I assumed that we would be facing the valet/luggage drop off area in the front and asked if they had a quieter location, maybe in the courtyard? He gave me a funny look and pointed to CA on the map and said, "This is California Adventure, right here." I immediately asked if we had been upgraded to a Theme Park view and he said that it was a standard room. I again assumed that we were facing the drive but decided to drop the subject because I remembered reading not to argue if you get a vibe from the CM checking you in. I was thrilled when I opened the blinds to our balcony! We spent a lot of time enjoying our view. I still can't figure out how that can possibly be considered a standard room, but maybe it's because it's down a long hallway and pretty far away from everything. TOTALLY worth the walk!
Viva for rooms like that. We had a garden view room once at the Poly and it had the most stunning view of the Magic Kingdom! Great view of the castle and fireworks and all from an unobstructed garden view. Just a few doors down from us, they considered it a Theme Park view, but for the life of me, I would have considered it in my room as well. :)

...We have a trip coming up in January in a 1 bedroom, and still pondering over what to request. I am not sure if a specific room number is best or a general location. We will be staying for 7 nights so, I am sure that complicates the reservation request...
I have had good results using a list of room numbers.
Your 7 night stay should not "complicate" your request, since villa are assigned a week or more in advance. It may make it hard to change villas at check-in, so certainly summit requests to DVC Member Services in advance (if you are renting, this must be done by the owner).
...For a good park view 1 bedroom, I am thinking 4514 or 5514 ?
I have stayed in both :teacher:
Those villas are very quiet, but the view is of trees (the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail).
They will be "less quite" during pool construction, although not directly overlooking the pools.
...Just not exactly sure where the DVC park viewing area is , in relation to the map.
The Viewing Patio (if that is what you mean) is open to all GCH guests (not just DVC), on the 6th floor adjacent to 6500.

The best VGC Park Views are facing South (the bottom of the map), overlooking the Paradise Pier area of DCA.

This is the request I made recently:
(arriving in 3 days, so fingers crossed :wizard:)
Prefer a high floor with Paradise Pier Park View.
The room order of preference is: 6502, 5508, 4508, 5502, 4502, 3508,
3502, 5514, 4514, 3514, 2522, 2508, 2502, 2514
These are all the 1 bedroom villas, excluding those on the ground floor or pool view.
Due to pool construction, you might want to eliminate x514.

I immediately asked if we had been upgraded to a Theme Park view and he said that it was a standard room.

Here is the thing about the Grand...they sell way more "standard" rooms than there are actual standard rooms...which technically are just a few facing the front driveway area. One of the reasons room types are such a mystery is that except for vert specific Theme Park, DTD views the rest of the room categories are on a sliding scale as far as quantities...that is why if you book a standard you may should only expect to look out at the driveway, but so many actually get something better.

On the Disneyland website it says gc lounge will be relocated from August-October when we are going. Does anyone know what that means, where it will be and will it have the same foods and schedule?? Debating moving to pp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter