Grand Cal Contract @ $324 a point gone in 2 days !

I was just looking up DL hotels walking distance to Disneyland and there were some nice hotels with reasonable costs compared to the $732 a night at the VGC. The Hilton , Marriot, Holiday in all under $200 a night. Thats not a motel 6. The difference in the DW hotels are that they are all off property at those rates and a considerable travel time to the Parks. The VGF , BLT , BWV BCV all are walking distance to a Park . POLY , RIV , WL are all short boat rides or Sky Liner trips. So My argument would be that they are a much greater value than the VGC or VDH and in my opinion better Resorts. A 200 point resale contract @ VGC would be about 65K as opposed to 33K for The VGF or the CCV . Thats a lot of cash . Just saying. Plus DL isn't even comparable to DW.
Your are right that DW can not compare with DL! I find DL to be so much better 😉!

I was just looking up DL hotels walking distance to Disneyland and there were some nice hotels with reasonable costs compared to the $732 a night at the VGC. The Hilton , Marriot, Holiday in all under $200 a night. Thats not a motel 6. The difference in the DW hotels are that they are all off property at those rates and a considerable travel time to the Parks. The VGF , BLT , BWV BCV all are walking distance to a Park . POLY , RIV , WL are all short boat rides or Sky Liner trips. So My argument would be that they are a much greater value than the VGC or VDH and in my opinion better Resorts. A 200 point resale contract @ VGC would be about 65K as opposed to 33K for The VGF or the CCV . Thats a lot of cash . Just saying. Plus DL isn't even comparable to DW.
If the goal is to avoid Disney properties and try to save a few bucks, as a local, I'd definitely recommend the JW Marriott. Put family up there on points several times, I like it and it's brand new. Right next to Garden Walk which, although practically useless for shopping, does have some good dining connected to the hotel. Bubba Gump's, PF Chang's, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, Roy's and McCormick & Schmick's offer a decent variety of options. Best cluster of restaurants in the Anaheim Resort for sure. Does have a more formal feel, so not as kid-friendly atmosphere-wise.

The Anaheim Marriott is a bit closer to the parks, and although a bit older, also very nice (kinda feels more "vacation-y" than the JW, which gives off more of a business vibe). Nice resort feel. Much more of a family destination vibe for sure. It's also set back from Harbor on Convention way, so the grounds are far more spread out and the landscaping is a bit more lush and tropical. Prior to the JW opening, we also had family stay at the Marriott.

I'd skip the Anaheim Hilton. It's got a terrible 80's mausoleum feel to it, and it just feels really cold (and it's massive with 1,600 rooms). There are walks to the elevators that would rival any at a WDW DVC resort (talking to you, Kidani).

We bought VGC based on the numbers alone. I tried getting the family to go somewhere else but everyone (even me) really only want to stay at the Grand Cal when we go to Disneyland. We go at least once, usually twice a year. We prefer to get the two bedroom villas and the cost to get anything close on the hotel side would be absolutely insane. Basically the rough equivalent to a 2-bed villa is one of the 2-bedroom suites going for $3000+/nt. Of course those don't offer kitchens or laundry, so that's a deal breaker. Luckily we didn't pay $300+ for our points but I could still make the case for doing so, given our use patterns.

Your are right that DW can not compare with DL! I find DL to be so much better 😉!
To each his own. But I'm not sure the majority would agree. I get the fact that you would want to stay in the DL bubble. I feel that way about DW. But if I had to pay $300 a point to do it or $750 a night then I guess it would be Port Orleans or All-Star resorts for me. DVC is supposed to save me money on High End resorts not cost me more or break even.

Last edited:
DVC for VGC does save money if you want to stay at the Grand Californian.

But if you don't want to stay there, that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to stay there. Or to like Disneyland. It's perfectly fine to like WDW more and just go there. Don't worry, no one will tell you how to spend your time or money.

I just picked a weekend in October, far enough out to have hotel availability and lower middle of the points chart. A standard view room, cheapest you can get starts at $839+ tax. $2944 for the three nights after tax. For the cheapest no view room.
Gand Floridian either doesn’t have a standard view or it’s sold out, but their cheapest room (resort view) is $3081 for the same weekend. Changing Cal to a woods view which seems more comparable in the description, you are looking at $3109 for the weekend. And it’s 5x further from a theme park. 15 minutes vs 3.
Grand Cal is 68 points for a studio which could be theme park view. Grand Floridian is 70 for standard, so decently comparable in cost dollars and points. VGC is so much more because supply and demand.

Now I’m not sure how to calculate the exact break down of cost per point plus dues etc etc. but if you are willing to spend $3000 a year for a 68 point 3 night reservation. At 300 a point, you’d still come out ahead in 7 years and you’d have a kitchenette and a view of World pf Color from your balcony. Let’s say 10 with dues.

I get that $300 is high. Too high probably. But it’s just not accurate to dismiss it as it not saving you money If you stay in it for the long run. Or heck, if you have a newborn, you’re saving money by the time that kid can ride Incredicoaster!

Prices are creeping back down. Most are below $300 now. They are super stripped. Seems like brokers are buying them, renting out what they can at $25 a point and reselling. This makes VGC even harder to book at 7 months, making it more critical to own there and keeps this cycle going. As far as I know, VGC is the only resort that sees this buy/strip/rent/resell trend.

view of World pf Color from your balcony
This is true for really only 2 studios at VGC all others are really blocked by trees or pool view. I say this for the studios since you are referencing studios in your post. Much more options if larger rooms. So really I’d say odds are VGC is woods or pool view and thus comparing to VGF standard is fair (given some have excellent views that are luck of the draw).

I say this having lucked out getting a world of color view studio just this weekend and the only one down the hall that faces DCA last year was blocked by trees on the same floor (so all lower floors would be blocked).

Edit: To add, VGC and VGF/WDW are two very different vacations for me. VGC is a very nice hotel but lacks the resort feel to a degree that the DVC in WDW have (larger pools/grounds/more activities/etc). However, I do agree that VGC just has the benefit and always will because of its direct park entrance. Though at some point more high priced resales happen people want the studios only which may end up a strain on reservations there.

Last edited:
Ah! Good to know! We actually don’t like the theme park view and request a quiet view after getting PP view during Grad Nights! When we do a studio we almost always get x509 with the quiet request which is a side pool view. We usually go between studio and 1 bedroom depending on what type of trip it is. In December, we had a ground floor 2 bedroom and my husband made it to the room and back in one cycle of the swings using the entrance by corn dog castle! When we go for the race I’m already thinking about popping into DCA for a bread bowl for dinner while I’m resting in the room.

Ah! Good to know! We actually don’t like the theme park view and request a quiet view after getting PP view during Grad Nights! When we do a studio we almost always get x509 with the quiet request which is a side pool view. We usually go between studio and 1 bedroom depending on what type of trip it is. In December, we had a ground floor 2 bedroom and my husband made it to the room and back in one cycle of the swings using the entrance by corn dog castle! When we go for the race I’m already thinking about popping into DCA for a bread bowl for dinner while I’m resting in the room.
Totally agree on theme park view. Our first stay as owners was in a 2-bedroom with an absolutely amazing view of WOC. Then Grad Nights for 3 straight nights… Never again. There is an entrance by Corn Dog Castle??

I was considering Buying into the VDH until I found out about the Transient tax and charging for parking. I wasn't even concerned about the Resale restrictions as I thought it wouldn't matter as much as a DL resort. But the greed is unbelievable. I am not blaming Anaheim for charging it ; I'm blaming Disney for not fighting it as they did for VGC. They sold out their DVC customers to get something else. I'm sure they don't need my money anyway as its proven they could get away with it by the ridiculous prices for a worn down VGC .

Yesterday, I still saw studios starting Jan 22/2024. Today at 7 month mark at 8:05 am, all gone. In fairness I was doing something else right at 8:00 so maybe I would have been successful earlier, but goes to show it’s definitely not easy to book even in lower season.

I'm blaming Disney for not fighting it as they did for VGC. They sold out their DVC customers to get something else. I'm sure they don't need my money anyway as its proven they could get away with it by the ridiculous prices for a worn down VGC .
I think it was either negotiate a lower TOT and get the entire project denied like the DTD hotel project or accept the high TOT and get the tower built. I don't think it has much to do about Disney selling out DVC members, but a different political landscape compared to 2008-2009 when VGC was in the planning stages.

Also, VGC is due for a full refurbishment, but when all the other resorts were ready for a full refurbishment, the rooms looked dated and worn down like the recent full refresh of BRV, SSR. Since dues pay for the refurbishment, I rather wait as long as possible rather than paying more to keep replenishing the capital reserves.

I think it was either negotiate a lower TOT and get the entire project denied like the DTD hotel project or accept the high TOT and get the tower built. I don't think it has much to do about Disney selling out DVC members, but a different political landscape compared to 2008-2009 when VGC was in the planning stages.

Also, VGC is due for a full refurbishment, but when all the other resorts were ready for a full refurbishment, the rooms looked dated and worn down like the recent full refresh of BRV, SSR. Since dues pay for the refurbishment, I rather wait as long as possible rather than paying more to keep replenishing the capital reserves.
Its ridiculous to charge that amount of tax to someone who actually owns a real estate interest. Think about this. If I wanted to take my family to DL every Christmas in the future and decided to buy the 1250 points it would be for a GV at the VDH . The outlay for one week would be $287000 plus $11250 MF per year Plus $3412 TOT for each stay ! ABsolutely ridiculous.

Do you just contact member services and ask to have a quiet room for your stay? I'll be making my first VGC reservation soon and quiet is definitely our priority over view.

Its ridiculous to charge that amount of tax to someone who actually owns a real estate interest. Think about this. If I wanted to take my family to DL every Christmas in the future and decided to buy the 1250 points it would be for a GV at the VDH . The outlay for one week would be $287000 plus $11250 MF per year Plus $3412 TOT for each stay ! ABsolutely ridiculous.
This I agree with! I do think Anaheim tied their hands and they had to make a choice between rolling it into dues making them $12-$13 a point or adding the tax at checkout. Either way- it is going to scare away buyers. But people have been screaming for another option to VGC for years. Now DVC has given it to them. I don't love that this model attracts even more brokers to CA DVC. They pass that tax onto the renters.

On another note- did you guys see Travel and Leisure voted Grand Cal the 9th best Hotel in the nation for families? Aulani was 5. HH and VB were like 10 and 12 I think. AKL was the first Florida property at 13. Honestly.... a savannah room at AKV is pretty hard to beat for my kids- plus all the activities (or at least pre-covid, we haven't been there lately). Interesting TL put GC above that!

Do you just contact member services and ask to have a quiet room for your stay? I'll be making my first VGC reservation soon and quiet is definitely our priority over view.
Yes- I love the chat feature for this. They will give you the standard "requests are not guaranteed line" but I have always gotten it. I just request a "quiet view." One time I requested a "non theme-park view" and I got a great theme park view. My guess is they mis read it on a quick scan.

This I agree with! I do think Anaheim tied their hands and they had to make a choice between rolling it into dues making them $12-$13 a point or adding the tax at checkout. Either way- it is going to scare away buyers. But people have been screaming for another option to VGC for years. Now DVC has given it to them. I don't love that this model attracts even more brokers to CA DVC. They pass that tax onto the renters.

On another note- did you guys see Travel and Leisure voted Grand Cal the 9th best Hotel in the nation for families? Aulani was 5. HH and VB were like 10 and 12 I think. AKL was the first Florida property at 13. Honestly.... a savannah room at AKV is pretty hard to beat for my kids- plus all the activities (or at least pre-covid, we haven't been there lately). Interesting TL put GC above that!

We never had any desire to stay at the Grand Cali due to the cost. But once we were able to stay there as a big discount...we seriously fell in love and totally "get it" now. Walking to the parks and having DTD right there too really can't be beat. Plus, I just love the style of the hotel.

Totally agree on theme park view. Our first stay as owners was in a 2-bedroom with an absolutely amazing view of WOC. Then Grad Nights for 3 straight nights… Never again. There is an entrance by Corn Dog Castle??
Yes- it is fairly new but it is literally steps from the DVC wing. The best way to describe it is follow the signs to the grill and laundry area and use those doors to exit. There is a slightly closer door from a stairwell but I have a hard time finding it inside! It says Pixar Pier Hotel guests only, but in reality any onsite hotel can use it. It doesn't make a ton of sense for DL Hotel or even most general GCH guests but for DVC it is a game changer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter