Grand Cal Contract @ $324 a point gone in 2 days !

Yes- it is fairly new but it is literally steps from the DVC wing. The best way to describe it is follow the signs to the grill and laundry area and use those doors to exit. There is a slightly closer door from a stairwell but I have a hard time finding it inside! It says Pixar Pier Hotel guests only, but in reality any onsite hotel can use it. It doesn't make a ton of sense for DL Hotel or even most general GCH guests but for DVC it is a game changer!
Oh it makes total sense for DLH users. We use it all the time when entering/exiting DCA. It’s a 5 min walk if that, depending on the traffic light on the corner when coming from the Frontier tower.

I was considering Buying into the VDH until I found out about the Transient tax and charging for parking. I wasn't even concerned about the Resale restrictions as I thought it wouldn't matter as much as a DL resort. But the greed is unbelievable. I am not blaming Anaheim for charging it ; I'm blaming Disney for not fighting it as they did for VGC. They sold out their DVC customers to get something else. I'm sure they don't need my money anyway as its proven they could get away with it by the ridiculous prices for a worn down VGC .
If you check out the VDH thread, you’ll learn that parking is currently included and the reasoning behind TOT. Disney is looking at the bigger prize and making peace with Anaheim and if a lower TOT was tossed out to get approval for VDH, then I’m fine with it. Those of us that aren’t VGC owners and want to stay in Anaheim all have to pay the TOT anywhere else anyway. VDH is selling well so most people don’t see it as a dealbreaker. I want DisneyForward to get built so I’m willing to trust Disney to sacrifice whatever they need to do to make it happen.

If you check out the VDH thread, you’ll learn that parking is currently included and the reasoning behind TOT. Disney is looking at the bigger prize and making peace with Anaheim and if a lower TOT was tossed out to get approval for VDH, then I’m fine with it. Those of us that aren’t VGC owners and want to stay in Anaheim all have to pay the TOT anywhere else anyway. VDH is selling well so most people don’t see it as a dealbreaker. I want DisneyForward to get built so I’m willing to trust Disney to sacrifice whatever they need to do to make it happen.
Not for nothing but Anaheim would be nothing without Disneyland . They should be dealt with differently than the leaches around it. Kind of the same way Disney World gets privileges is Florida. How many jobs does DL produce and tax revenue for both the state and city. Its outright greed to charge a $2.7 a point TOT. I'm not buying into it and neither should Disney.

Oh it makes total sense for DLH users. We use it all the time when entering/exiting DCA. It’s a 5 min walk if that, depending on the traffic light on the corner when coming from the Frontier tower.
Ahhhhh! I didnt Even think about that way. I was thinking cutting through hotel and DTD. Oh yeah- that’s nice!

Ahhhhh! I didnt Even think about that way. I was thinking cutting through hotel and DTD. Oh yeah- that’s nice!
Oh yeah, it’s great! It’s really great for getting out of the park after world of color and going back to DLH (but you have to swim upstream against the crowds heading the other way to the exit).

Same with MK for me when Magic Keys came out. I now have to check if I’m in a Disneyland forum or WDW one. 🤣
As an Anaheim native and former DL cast member, I still get caught on Magic Kingdom sometimes, and have to remind myself that it now refers to WDW and not DL. It doesn't help when the steam train spiel at Disneyland still says it's a "grand circle tour around walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" (many older DL spiels, like CircleVision also used Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom too)..

As an Anaheim native and former DL cast member, I still get caught on Magic Kingdom sometimes, and have to remind myself that it now refers to WDW and not DL. It doesn't help when the steam train spiel at Disneyland still says it's a "grand circle tour around walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" (many older DL spiels, like CircleVision also used Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom too).
I believe it’s magic kingdom, lower cased when referring to one of the Disneylands. Or that is what they tell you on a tour I took, and I recall reading this somewhere too.

I believe it’s magic kingdom, lower cased when referring to one of the Disneylands. Or that is what they tell you on a tour I took, and I recall reading this somewhere too.
I think the Wiki article covers it pretty well:

Magic Kingdom" was often used as an unofficial nickname for Disneyland before Walt Disney World was built. The official tagline for Disneyland is "The Happiest Place On Earth", while the tagline for Magic Kingdom is "The Most Magical Place On Earth". Up until the early 1990s, Magic Kingdom was officially known as "Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom", and was never printed without the Walt Disney World prefix. This purpose was to differentiate between the park and Disneyland in California. In 1994, to differentiate it from Disneyland, the park was officially renamed Magic Kingdom Park. Like all Disney theme parks, the official name of the park does not start with an article ("the"), though it is commonly referred to that way; however, a sign on the railroad station at the front of the park reads "The Magic Kingdom".
Magic Kingdom

Here's a park map from 1968:

1968 Map.jpg

1968 Crop.jpg

The term "Magic Kingdom" was still in use (and capitalized) at least into the early 80's (I started in fall of 1980).

Last edited:
Thank you for the history!
Yeah, it's a bit muddied. Disney might be running the "unofficial name" narrative today, but before WDW was built, there was a TON of Disneyland literature, merchandise and advertising that absolutely did use "Magic Kingdom" and "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" extensively. As I mentioned, it's still used in the steam train spiel. I think they created a mess for themselves and are now just saying it was never the "official" name for Disneyland, but back then if it was being used that extensively, you know 100% that Walt approved of it.

Once Florida opened, and they decided "Disneyland East" or "Disneyland Florida" wasn't going to work (although every other castle park built since DOES have "Disneyland" in the name), the Florida park was officially tagged as the "Magic Kingdom" (in several different iterations over the years). Disneyland kept the nickname as an "unofficial" one, but it was most definitely a moniker that Disney used extensively for the Anaheim park for many years.

I noticed the brokers are reducing prices on these VGC contracts and are now accepting offers below asking prices. I wonder how many potential buyers they scared away by not accepting any offers below asking price. Contracts are now sitting for a month. LOL

Another new low-income housing development was announced the other day for a tract of land just south of the resort area. The project is being co-funded by the county, the city, bank lenders and Disney:
The 102-unit complex is next to the 5 freeway on Orangewood Avenue. A variety of entities funded the apartment complex that cost $61 million to build, including the city, the county, U.S. Bank, the Disneyland Resort and the nonprofit affordable housing developer Jamboree Housing.

Anaheim unveils new affordable apartments near resort district

I'd say there is some serious bridge-mending going on.

I noticed the brokers are reducing prices on these VGC contracts and are now accepting offers below asking prices. I wonder how many potential buyers they scared away by not accepting any offers below asking price. Contracts are now sitting for a month. LOL
And my guess is that the owners are fine with it. I VERY nearly listed mine, just one signature shy. But, I would not have accepted any offer more than $5pp less. It was more of an okay, if we hit the high note, let’s do it but if we don’t, nothing lost. In the end, we’ll probably be very glad we didn’t sell in a decade when rooms are cost prohibitive let alone 2 bedroom suites.

The contracts weren’t listed until the pricing resurged which leads me to believe that most sellers feel as I do. We can afford to be patient or not sell at all because VGC is a singular property.

I think that the market is stablizing and the current sellers don't have to get a quick sale. They will hold on to the contracts until the price is right for them to sell. Thats one of the reasons the resale prices have been high for years. Limited amount of contracts which means limited amount of sellers and now owners have mulitple contracts over the years and are holding.

I think that the market is stablizing and the current sellers don't have to get a quick sale. They will hold on to the contracts until the price is right for them to sell. Thats one of the reasons the resale prices have been high for years. Limited amount of contracts which means limited amount of sellers and now owners have mulitple contracts over the years and are holding.
My observation is there was a quick run on VGC (I think in part unintentionally because of some threads on this site) specifically around the VDH price/point/tax disappointment, and with that now behind us, the addition of 3 million+ points to the west coast will put negative pressure on VGC resale for quite some time. I do think the floor is likely in the $200s but I’m not sure we’ll see a contract sell over $300 again in the next 2 years.

I know I can’t really build a mathematical case for it at $300+ without using some pretty freaking optimistic assumptions about cash room discounts, dues inflation vs hotel rate inflation vs overall inflation and a savings rate of effectively zero.

Or maybe I’ll be wrong! But that’s what I see from over here.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter