Grand Cal Contract @ $324 a point gone in 2 days !

Anyone interested in Buying VGC should read the trip report first posted this Sunday.
I read it. Most of the issues they experienced are more about the way DLR and GC work and not specific to VGC, and can be avoided if more familiar with DLR/GC. We’ve stayed at VGC around 7 weeks over the last couple of years and have not experienced those issues, other than the room key issues. Once I stopped keeping my room key in my bag next to my phone, the issue seemed to stop. We pretty much always use Bell Services and haven’t had issues other than it can take a while for them to come to the room to pick up our bags when checking out, but that happens at WDW too.

How is VGC "not worth 300 a point" if people are willing to pay this on the resale market?

Something is worth what people pay, not what people think something should be worth.
I agree, but please tell that too our property tax assessor here in North Georgia. No way in the world we could get what they are saying our home is worth. Such BS!!

The rack rates are higher at VGF and Poly than VGC. Why aren't they selling for $300 a point ? Plus the MF are lower at the VGF.
1) Panic buying/irrationality
and
2) Disneyland isn’t a week’s trip. I don’t even think they sell park passes beyond 5 days. This factors into contract pricing. You need fewer VGC points than WDW because you’re unlikely to be staying beyond 3-4 days. WDW is 5-7++ days.

Based on point charts, even with the most expensive VGC season, a 3 night stay is under 100 points. On average you can go for 4 nights and be under 100 points. So if you have a VGC contract and it was priced at $150, you could basically get a VGC annual trip for $15,000 plus ongoing dues.

The cosmos doesn’t like that idea. Because that’ll get you an annual vacation to Disneyland for cheap. For WDW, you’ll need more points as you’ll be staying longer. The laws of physics wants you to pay at least $30k for DVC ownership for a full vacation each year. That’s just the way it is. The payoff for VGC vs. renting VGC hotel room would be 2-4 trips. People don’t like that idea. So, pony up the premium so it’ll take a nice 5-8 years before you breakeven on the contract face value ex-dues.

That’s how life is. Sometime somewhere people agreed to overcharge for stuff and simultaneously other people agreed to overpay. How else do you explain $1000/night standard studios at Contemporary a year ago? Thousands paid it. Consumer debt does wonders.

1) Panic buying/irrationality

That’s how life is. Sometime somewhere people agreed to overcharge for stuff and simultaneously other people agreed to overpay. How else do you explain $1000/night standard studios at Contemporary a year ago? Thousands paid it. Consumer debt does wonders.

Lol. So many people bought into the hype on here after the VDH news dropped. Threads like this one and the other one a page back saying VGC sold for 365 just exacerbated it. VGC will likely end up averaging 250-270 per point. As for the people who bought at 300+ per point? I know everyone's situation is different but I don't know.. especially after we saw VGC go for 235 not that long ago. Congrats to the sellers who managed to cash in at the right time lol.

Last edited:

Sometimes the stars line up. There is a certain UR and amount for a certain resort that is "perfect" and I can see myself overpaying if it pops up.

Last edited:
For a while I was convinced that the guy on the facebook group who posted about every single VGC contract that was listed was just doing it to try to hype up prices for his own contract to sell :D

I agree, but please tell that too our property tax assessor here in North Georgia. No way in the world we could get what they are saying our home is worth. Such BS!!

See if you can protest it. I'm in the process of protesting ours here in Nebraska since they said my property value went up 40%......uh...nope! Not true at all for our market.

For a while I was convinced that the guy on the facebook group who posted about every single VGC contract that was listed was just doing it to try to hype up prices for his own contract to sell :D

Which FB group? I'm a member of a few but not many post about VGC so if you know of one that does, let me know!

See if you can protest it. I'm in the process of protesting ours here in Nebraska since they said my property value went up 40%......uh...nope! Not true at all for our market.

Which FB group? I'm a member of a few but not many post about VGC so if you know of one that does, let me know!
I thinks it’s DVC Fan

Lol. So many people bought into the hype on here after the VDH news dropped. Threads like this one and the other one a page back saying VGC sold for 365 just exacerbated it. VGC will likely end up averaging 250-270 per point. As for the people who bought at 300+ per point? I know everyone's situation is different but I don't know.. especially after we saw VGC go for 235 not that long ago. Congrats to the sellers who managed to cash in at the right time lol.
Yet, if a person who bought at $300+ holds for a long time, I don't think the difference in buy-in cost will concern them much. Particularly if they got a UY and point total that they were specifically looking for.

And maybe a congrats to the sellers at $300+...as long as they don't plan on staying at VGC any time soon for less than $800 per night for a standard view.

Yet, if a person who bought at $300+ holds for a long time, I don't think the difference in buy-in cost will concern them much. Particularly if they got a UY and point total that they were specifically looking for.

And maybe a congrats to the sellers at $300+...as long as they don't plan on staying at VGC any time soon for less than $800 per night for a standard view.
I own VGC and also pay cash rates. On one occasion this year I paid 550 a night (with tax) for Standard View (Mid-May) and 575 a night (1st weekend after NY) for Courtyard View (won't pay for that again) while people were trying to rent DVC rooms on points at the time for about 600 a night. I've seen it quite frequently lately that DVC at VGC is overpriced compared to cash, sure the advantage is free parking. So unless you own VGC owners are asking way to much to rent their points, compared to cash, and resale prices are probably in my opinion inflated too much right now given current cash rates.

Might try it, not hopeful though. It was 30% here in Walker county. I mean, what is to keep them from saying your home value is now at a million dollars if they want more tax money?

You never truly own your home, the government does.

I own VGC and also pay cash rates. On one occasion this year I paid 550 a night (with tax) for Standard View (Mid-May) and 575 a night (1st weekend after NY) for Courtyard View (won't pay for that again) while people were trying to rent DVC rooms on points at the time for about 600 a night. I've seen it quite frequently lately that DVC at VGC is overpriced compared to cash, sure the advantage is free parking. So unless you own VGC owners are asking way to much to rent their points, compared to cash, and resale prices are probably in my opinion inflated too much right now given current cash rates.

I suppose a person could find random times with a sub $600 rack rate but it’s definitely the exception, and won’t be the times that most people like to visit.

Such as the week after New Years for example. And I say this as an owner at $150 per point, but one that sees value at $300 per point based on when we travel.

True. I currently have GCH standard rooms booked at under 400/nt before tax so there’s definitely deals out there!

I suppose a person could find random times with a sub $600 rack rate but it’s definitely the exception, and won’t be the times that most people like to visit.

Such as the week after New Years for example. And I say this as an owner at $150 per point, but one that sees value at $300 per point based on when we travel.
I don’t know if I would call it an exception because it’s the rack rate (no sale). I stand by my opinion that rental rates (for confirmed reservations are easy to verify) I’ve seen are wholly over priced against rack. And the expensive times with high rack rates require 50-60% more points per night so that does diminish the value. The rack rates and point charts are more aligned at VGC than the WDW resorts for sure.

Edit: I own at VGC too and believe this to be true.

I don’t know if I would call it an exception because it’s the rack rate (no sale). I stand by my opinion that rental rates (for confirmed reservations are easy to verify) I’ve seen are wholly over priced against rack. And the expensive times with high rack rates require 50-60% more points per night so that does diminish the value. The rack rates and point charts are more aligned at VGC than the WDW resorts for sure.

Edit: I own at VGC too and believe this to be true.

I can't speak to the rental rate comparison with rack rates, but I do know as a VGC owner when we travel at our preferred time in October the rack rates for a standard room are over $800 with taxes.

So our DVC points for a premium view are quite valuable, and even if we had to pay $300 per point it would still give us large savings over many years.

Then you'll love VDH: 1st week of January is low seaon at VDH, but high season at VGC. I have no idea why...

Then you'll love VDH: 1st week of January is low seaon at VDH, but high season at VGC. I have no idea why...
It will be interesting to see the changes to the VGC points chart when the 2025 charts come out in December this year. May or may not coordinate with VDH's points chart.

How are people getting under $500 a night at the Grand Californian? We went in the off-season this year and at the time I think rack rates were something like $750, I think. We were only able to stay because we got a friends and family discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter