Going Back to CBR - Can Someone Summarize the Changes?

boltjames

Mouseketeer
Hello! Exactly one year ago, you folks gave me some wonderful advice for my annual March trek to Disney and the Carribean Beach Resort. Jamaica 45 is the only way to go :)

That said.....I heard that CBR was shut down for a spell and rennovated......

Can someone kindly summarize the changes and let me know what's better and what's worse so that I can prepare for our flight exactly one month from today?

TIA

When we went last year, the rooms had been redone and they are really nice! The food court was just redone and a new restaurant to replace the old one that was there. I'm so happy for you! Have fun!

The resort hasn't changed all that much. Old Port Royale has changed. I have pictures up of OPR. I have pictures on my web site that you can view. No sure you went after the rooms have been refurbished.

Thanks for the update!

Questions if you don't mind....

1. From your photos, it looks like all they did was refurb the 'row' of old food venues and add some lighting. Is this correct, or did they add more food choices in a circular fashion around the table area?

2. Is that a covered bridge of sorts on the way to the island?

3. Did they add any activities besides the usual boats and bicycles?

4. Are the hammocks brand new?

5. Anything else improved? Satellite pools? Laundry rooms? Jungle gyms? Beach?

TIA

No they didn't add any more food choices. They are where they always were. They did add new sign boards. Where the bakery and the entrance to the bathrooms were is now the grab and go market.

No covered bridge leading to the island.

No new activities that I saw.

the hammocks have been there for years. The ones that we used were in very good shape.

Pools and laundry rooms are the same as they always were. Nothing I could see different. Beaches didn't change. I didn't notice any jungle jims but my kids are older. Maybe someone else knows.

It is beautiful.

Yes, there is playground equipment at CBR, in fact, there is the main one on Parrot Cay in the middle of the resort, as well as 2 located on beaches near Barbados and Trinidad South.

The refurbishment of the rooms was completed in the fall of 2001. We stayed in a refurbished room in Barbados in May of 2001 and it was quite beautiful!

The quiet pools are the best in all of WDW... you won't be disappointed. There is one in each village, making fo 6 quiet pools and the main pool at Old Port Royale.

The Captain's Tavern Restaurant was replaced by Shutters in December of 2002. I haven't had the opportunity to eat there, but understand it is quite good, and a step above the previous. It is also in a different location from the old restaurant, but still located within the interior of Old Port Royale.

As for the food court... although the counter service offerings remain the same, the method by which you pay has been changed. Instead of having to pay at each counterservice individually, you may now pay in one central area, like the other moderate resorts.

I think you will love CBR! Have a great vacation!:)

I walked around the island when I was there in Feb 2003 and I didn't see any playground equipment. There had been some on the island in previous years.

Shutters is at the opposite end of the food court from where the old restaurant was.

Yes, the new arrangment for paying for your food is great. You can also pay in the Grab and go market. We were there when the cheerleaders were and we got through the line to pay very quickly.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

We've gone to CBR every March for the last 5 years, and I was expecting a lot more 'upgrades' seeing that they had to close the resort down for a few months.

No complaints mind you......loved it the way it was and will still love it now.

Did they really kill the mini-playgrounds on the beaches? My kids loved the monkey bars and the climbing stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts