Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony. 14 nights food reviews from two little piggies!LAST DAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a rude waitress you had at CP & what's up with the WDW restaurants not having change? :confused: It seems to be a common thread on several posts I've read recently. It's not like they need the money.

On to better things... my DS ate the same sandwich at GF Cafe while DD & I had tea at GV Lounge & he also enjoyed it. Thanks for keeping us drooling over our keyboards.:cool1:

I just spent an hour reading all your reviews. They are GREAT!! I am sad this is coming to an end. You guys are the BEST eaters ever. :thumbsup2 I wish I could pack all that away. I would probably die. I actually got a stomach ache reading it, but I loved every minute of it. I am dying to read yor last day!!!!

I think keeping the change is just like stealing. No thank you! I will wait until somehow you find some change or give me a dollar. I will sit there all day and wait. I will call managers and managers of managers. I am just a mean old lady.

I think keeping the change is just like stealing. No thank you! I will wait until somehow you find some change or give me a dollar. I will sit there all day and wait. I will call managers and managers of managers. I am just a mean old lady.

No you are not just a mean old lady that is just absolutly ridiculous about them keeping the change at the table service restaurants. We hardly ever carry cash so I never saw anything like that happen to us but I think I will pay cash at a few places and see what happens next trip.

Thanks for your latest reviews, great as always. I cannot believe how rude your CP server was. We were lucky last year with the sweetest old lady server in there who couldn't do enough for us. I can definitely recommend the fish and chips at RR for your next trip.

Laur's princess:

So here we are on our last day, I don’t know about you but I can never fully appreciate the time I still have left in Disney on the last day, I am always too depressed that in a few hours we will be on a plane heading back to the land of rain. Guess I’m a glass half-empty person! :(

Breakfast today was at Cinderella’s Royal Table. I only got the urge to go here about three weeks before we flew out (reading reviews on here is so dangerous once you have made your ADR’s!), and was really lucky to get an ADR! This was literally the only slot for breckie or lunch they had free for our entire trip! :banana: We were so lucky!

Our ADR was for 8.30, got there a few minutes early, and by the time we had our picture taken with Cinderella our name was being called – lovely! We were seated quite near the entrance, up on a ledge (it felt like!) rather than being down the steps in the main part of the room, so we felt a tiny bit out of things (there were about 6 other tables there as well so we weren’t alone).

Our server wasn’t the best. She was Ok, we got drinks and food quickly. But I thought we were supposed to get an option of whether we wanted the hot food or a “healthy” plate. We didn’t get the option we were both given the hot stuff – amazingly I was actually going to go for the healthy plate for once as I love your granola! She also asked TG if he wanted any more food (it is pre-plated but eat all you want) and didn’t ask me!! Does she know who she is dealing with?!!! I felt a bit hurried as well, towards the end she came up and said as we had already paid for the meal we could leave whenever we wanted, and that was the last time we saw her!! Another lady – not our server – brought us both a wand and sword when the wishing ceremony took place, which was very kind! I hate being left out!!

Atmosphere – it was lovely to be in the castle, and a gorgeous setting, but to be honest it’s the first time I have been at a character meal and felt a bit out of place. The characters were all lovely and they all had a nice chat with us (Jasmine creased me up by moaning about marriage and saying she had been married 12 years and it was hard work. I couldn’t work out if she was in character or having a general whinge about men as we had our anniversary badges on!! Is the film Aladdin 12 years old?!). No I just felt a bit out of place as we were the only people there without kids – usually in other character meals there are quite a lot of couples / families without children, but here I couldn’t see any others. I felt a bit like we had gatecrashed a party we were too old for. TG didn’t feel like this at all though, so like I said earlier, maybe I was just a bit gloomy as it was out last day! We had been up since 6am packing which I HATE which did not help the mood situation (and yes, we did have to buy an extra suitcase - again!!)!

Onto food! Well, I was glad I didn’t get offered the option of a healthy plate because –with the exception of Tonga Toast – this was the best quality breakfast food we had all trip. The sausages were good – really thick and meaty not like those spindly little things we had been getting at the buffets. I LOVED the potato casserole (potato and cheese, what’s not to like) and was fully intending to order more of it, had she have bothered to ask me if I wanted it! I don’t usually like French toast, but this was the best I have ever had! It actually tasted quite like a waffle to me – lovely! Really nice berry sauce drizzled on it as well. Scrambles eggs I can also take or leave usually, but again these were excellent – fresh and not runny. I seem to remember the bacon being nice as well! The fruit was nice, not much you can do to mess that up! Only slight disappointment was the danish basket – I grabbed the only croissant as I loved the one at Crystal Palace yesterday, and it was rock hard! Nearly broke a tooth!! So I had a muffin instead which was OK.

Hot stuff, not much but it was good! :thumbsup2
CIMG3111-1-1.jpg

You can see the fruit here
CIMG3119-1-1.jpg

All in all very nice, for food I would definitely give it 9/10, but server 7/10! I don’t know if I would go back though, it’s a lot of money for breakfast for what you get. I won’t grade on the atmosphere because I think it was me who felt funny, not the place. Maybe I am getting too old for princesses?!!!!! :scared1:

TG says “9/10 excellent quality food, very fresh and good atmos”. I think he liked the ladies here . . .

Again, I can find no photo’s of snacks during the morning!! Don’t know what went wrong . . . I can’t believe we didn’t have any! So on to lunch.

We weren’t in a rush to be anywhere so didn’t mind how long the wait for Beaches and Cream was. We arrived about 1.30 and it was anarchy!! People were handing back their buzzers left right and centre and complaining about the wait before walking off! Do your research then people, you gotta get there for 12 if you don’t want to wait. The hostess on the podium looked frankly horrified when we approached and asked for a table, I think she though someone else was about to kick off!! We said we didn’t mind how long the wait was and we didn’t mind whether we had table or counter seat which soothed her. She said it would be about an hour, so we went off to the bar in the Yacht Club for a drink. They had WINGS on the bar menu, I was SO close to ordering them – I couldn’t bear the thought that those horrible wings in Bahama Breeze would be my last taste of American wings for a year, but I resisted. My strength shocks me sometimes. ::yes::

We got buzzed after about 45 minutes, counter seats worst luck!!! In retrospect I would probably ask to wait for a table. It was nice being able to see everything being made, but I felt a bit on display perched up there! Waiter was very nice and efficient.

Well we both knew after eating there before that we wanted burgers and fries. TG ordered a double cheese burger and fries. I had never had a double burger in my life . .. . but it was so good the other day that I ordered one as well!! With cheese of course. On the understanding with TG that if we had double burgers we would definitely have to resist the kitchen sink . . .

Oh we had a strawberry milkshake as well to share. So thick and creamy and GOOD.

CIMG3165-1.jpg

Burgers and fries . . . simply divine. There is not a duff calorie on the plate! The burgers are moist, the bread is light and soft, and the fries are crisp but not dry or greasy. I even ate the pickle! And I managed a double burger with ease it seems . . .

Only one piccie as we had exactly the same as each other! Proving sadly that I can eat as much as any man

CIMG3166-1.jpg

Onto dessert. It seems I had over icecreamed this trip, I just didn’t fancy the kitchen sink anymore. :confused: This is the closest we got to it sadly!
CIMG3171-1.jpg

So instead I went for the brownie a la mode (brownie with cream and icecream) and TG went for the Milky Way Sundae (bundt cake topped with three scoops of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, butterscotch, whipped cream and a cherry). I swear his sundae was even bigger than the one he had last time, and he ate it all! I ate the brownie and cream, and left the icecream – why I didn’t just order it without the icecream is beyond me. This was good! Massive brownie, and gooey inside and crisp on the top, just as it should have been. Whole meal is a big 10/10!

TG “10/10, not as good sitting at the bar, but still top food”

Brownie
CIMG3173.jpg

Milky Way Sundae
CIMG3174-1.jpg

He never looks at me that way!!!!!:rotfl2:
CIMG3172-1.jpg

And that was it!!!!!!! We mooched around DTD for a while trying to put off the inevitable, then got to the airport around 5pm for our 7pm flight . . . which had been delayed until 10.30!! Thank you Virgin! So my final meal in the US was a large pack of ready salted chips from the airport shop. Grim, but not much else to choose from once we got to the gate! Usually I wouldn’t comment on aeroplane food but Virgin annoyed me, so . . . the breakfast on board next morning was so bad even I didn’t eat it! It was the greasiest croissant ever with powdered and reformed egg in it. Utterly rancid, if you have a flight coming up with Virgin pack a breakfast!! I would quite happily have sold a kidney at that point for some tonga toast!!!

So there you have it, we came, we ate, we fitted in a few parks around our eating schedule, we ate some more, we got home, we weighed ourselves, and then we cried!!

Coming up in our final edition: summary and final thoughts on the food, favourite and worst places / foods, and our food schedule for May 09 which is already decided (though TG doesn’t know that)!!! :rotfl:

It is a shame you felt out of place at CRT. I really want to go there next year when Aaron and I take an adults only trip to WDW. Now I just don't know because I was already apprehensive about going sans child.
I am so sad to see your tr come to an end. I can not wait for the next one.

I will answer all your messages tomorrow, now off to bed! Just before I go, this was our anniversary last week . . . now that's what I call a good selection of perfectly cooked KK's - Florida, take note!

And as I'm on diet I ONLY had three :rotfl2: :rotfl: :confused3

kk2-1.jpg

We did the lunch in Nov with 3 adult kids :17,22,23 and they had a great time. We also did hubby and myself for dinner in May for our 25th ann and it was great! No characters really just a show, great food and an anniversary gift from the Fairy Godmother! You will always feel just a bit weird w/o kids but it wasn't bad and I'm glad we went!

It is a shame you felt out of place at CRT. I really want to go there next year when Aaron and I take an adults only trip to WDW. Now I just don't know because I was already apprehensive about going sans child.
I am so sad to see your tr come to an end. I can not wait for the next one.

Monday 12th May

Finally a whole day of Disney meals!

So we decided to do something we had never managed before this vacation – make the rope drops at the parks! So for the next three days we had the same breakfast in our room for speed– Cornflakes and grapefruit that we picked up at Walmarts (another chain, I’m sorry!!) and a coffee and BEIGNETS from the foodcourt. Believe it or not from these reviews we’re not actually big breakfast people, so this was perfect for us! :)

I won’t review Cornflakes, lets focus on the Beignets! Prior to going I had wondered what on earth the fuss was about – they certainly don’t look like much! However in my mission to try every single item of food that had even been mentioned on these boards I sent TG to get an order of 3 (instead of 6, see that restraint I spoke about?!). I had 1, TG had 2. :worship: Deep fried puffed up pastry with about an inch of icing sugar on the top – what more do you need?! TG gives them 8/10, I’m a resounding 10/10! Only problem is they are really messy –best to eat before getting dressed which is easy in your room, not quite so easy in the food court. Oh, and we liked the foodcourt coffee, I know it gets slated but for a Nescafe girl it tasted nice and smooth!

We managed to make it to lunch without snacking (shocker). Lunch was booked for 12 at Chefs De France and we were one of the first taken in – got a lovely window seat. We had never been here and I had booked this restaurant on the basis on one review that I read getting on for a year ago than sung the praises of the Quiche Lorraine– I adore quiche! I was determined to just be good and have one course. Then I spotted the French Onion Soup on the menu . . . I love me some french onion soup. Sigh. I had a rather nasty incident with it in LA last year which I feared may have put me off it forever :sick: , but there it was, calling to me – who was I to deny it?! So I ordered that and the quiche – TG ordered the soup and the croque monsieur (toasted ham and cheese sandwich).

Rolls came first – nice – soft and warm. I had half, which I’m probably means TG had 1 and a ½! Then the soup arrived. It was seriously lovely. Rich good quality soup, shed loads of onion, lots of bread and cheese on top– we both loved it and licked the bowls clean. One of the nicest I have ever had.

Entrée – Both dishes came with a small salad which had a nice dressing on it. TG’s croque monsieur was lovely – really light yet filling, just the right amounts of ham and cheese. I tasted a tiny bit and loved it. I wished I had ordered it . . . . the quiche was a bit of a let down after a years drooling for one vital reason – it was HOT! I don’t like hot quiche! I like it to be chilled so the eggy goo sets firmly!!! To be fair the pastry was light and crumbly, and there was loads of filling which tasted nice – it just wasn’t what I had been imagining. If you like hot quiche (like most normal people do) I’m sure you would love it. TG gives his meal 10/10 and says it was one of the best meals of the trip. I give mine 8.5/10 (soup 10, quiche 7). We thought the food was really good quality, the restaurant was elegant, service excellent and will definitely return.

Mid afternoon we found ourselves in need of a rest so headed to the Fountain View café, where we could sit outside and people watch. We both had waffle cones – I had one scoop of good old chocolate and TG has 2 scoops – one vanilla and one rainbow sherbet. Both excellent – sometimes you just need some icecream.

Dinner! Boma was booked for about 7.30pm . I booked this because of all the good reviews. It took a heck of a lot of arm twisting of TG – he is not very adventurous when it comes to food but eventually he agreed to give it a try – yey! We arrived a few minutes early, and had to wait what felt like ages to be seated (prob about 15 mins). Got to our table. Waited, and waited, and waited. After about 15 mins we still hadn’t seen a waiter to even give a drink order. Ordinarily we would have just gone up to the buffet and got cracking, but I had read on here from other people about the waiters explaining about all the different pods and what was on them, so we waited.

What to do while waiting . . . take loads of pictures of yourself!!!!

After about 10 mins our waiter hussled up, moaned about how busy he was, took our drinks orders and cleared off again. :mad: Not a word about the food!!! We decided to be take on the spirit of adventure and go forth to the food.

1st plate – I had the three types of hummus (chick pea, tomato and bean I think???), and African bread (which was crisp) and pitta bread to mop it up. Also had some sort of coconut salad, and a teensy tiny bit of watermelon rind salad. All lovely apart from the watermelon rind salad – what the heck possesses anyone to eat that?! TG surprised me by trying hummus (he never has any when I have it at home) the two breads and I think some salad. I made him try the watermelon rind as well. Why suffer alone?! I think he spat it into a tissue, so also not a great endorsement.
Appetizers

2nd plates – we both had roughly the same. I had some cornbread which I had decided I was going to try this year (never had it before!) – So moist - loved it!!! How have I never had any before!? We both tried falafel which we had never had before, sausage, chicken (tenders for me, roast for TG), potatoes with Afritude, coconut rice and corn. All very good and well flavoured, a really nice surprise! The chef did see fit to explain to me what a sausage was which made me laugh! Obviously I looked bemused, but I was more bemused that they had big pork sausages in Africa, rather than not knowing what it was!! The only thing I wasn’t so keen on was a beef and lamb mix (looked like a pie) with what resembled pastry on the top, but was actually more of an egg topping – sort of like lasagne. TG loved it and had seconds! Which was surprising to me as at home he won’t eat lamb so I have to cook 2 meals whenever I want it!!! Actually he had seconds of most of the above, I just had a little more rice (love coconut) and another falafel. I started off liking those but went off them the more I had!!!
Our first entrees

On to dessert and something I had been waiting to try for months – zebra domes. I knew I would like them so grabbed 2! I also had crunchy choc mousse, banana bread and warm vanilla sauce, pineapple cheesecake and flourless chocolate cake. Whew! Chocolate crunchy mousse was Ok – bit flavourless, the pineapple cheesecake was good – really rich. The banana bread and warm vanilla sauce was a revelation – I really loved that. Zebra Domes . .. . sorry but I don’t get them!! Can’t put my finger on why, but I didn’t love them. They were just OK; TG said the same. They were squishier than I expected. I was stuffed so just picked at all those desserts and didn’t finish much!

TG had a plate of fresh fruit, with cookies and then somefruit tarts (I think) I was too full to lift the camera by then.

All in all we really liked it! TG says “Boma surprised me how tasty it was” so pass that on if you have any picky eaters in your group who are dithering about going! He scored it 9/10. Me 8/10. The service didn’t pick up much all night so I just hope you don’t get our server! Will definitely return.

SO! There we are full up for the night. . . :rotfl2: ;)

NOPE!!!! Because we had been to Epcot today. And what do Epcot have that I have been reading about for months?! That’s right – schoolbread!!!!! :banana: We had brought one earlier and put it in our fridge for safe keeping. Got back to the room and panic overcame us – what if it went stale overnight?! We wanted to give it a fair review, and in order to be fair surely the food had to be fresh!? Yep, we cracked into it. TG was so desperate he cut it in half before I could get a piccie, so this is a cross-section for you.

Hands off girls - this romantic fool is all mine!!!!!!!

I only ate ½ of my half (someone else stuffed all of his!) but that was enough to discover the pure exquisiteness! How do they make bread and custard that light?! And who thought to put coconut on top?! The Norwegians are geniuses. Loved this, we gave it 9/10 each – I can’t remember why not 10. Possibly because it was really sickly and we had started it after a rather large buffet?!

So another days stuffing over – I estimate 20000 calories and I don’t think I even managed one portion of fruit and veg. I love vacation!!!!!

Up tomorrow – FQ foodcourt again, Flame Tree BBQ lunch and Cheesecake Factory dinner. Plus our first visit too Ghirardellis.

I absolutely love your reviews--you are very comical (you remind me of me) :)

Keep it coming--looking forward to the upcoming reviews!!

Your TR has inspired me to book a solo trip for a weekend in September, and I have no ADRs planned, (as I have about 7 booked for December), but I AM going to get to Beaches and Cream for a burger (they look divine), and Earl of Sandwich. All CS, I'm thinkin'. But I will get a schoolbread and a magic cookie bar, as I'm staying at POR for the first time.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Alright, now you've done it. That last review was so good, I'm sad there won't be anymore!

However, I am anxiously awaiting the recap, and hoping you go again soon, so I can read more food reviews!:thumbsup2

But seriously, thanks for writing them. Because of your reviews, I changed my ADRs for my upcoming trip to include the Grand Floridian Cafe, and I'm really excited about it. And I now know I absolutely must make it to Beaches and Cream for a No Way Jose, and I know my DH would be all over that Milky Way sundae! Too funny, the comment about your dear man not looking at you like that!:rotfl2:

Hi:wave:

I just found your Dining TR today and I must say my stomach is hurting from looking at all the food. I WAS going to finish the whole TR before replying but this picture caught my eye and made me laugh. With all the sugar you guys had been eating, did you decide not to have any more in your coffee and use Splenda instead? :rotfl2: Nothing like using Splenda to give yourself the excuse to eat more sugary stuff. I thought this was hysterical!!:lmao:

I am really enjoying your TR. Hope you have the cornbread & chili dog knowledge down for your naturalization test. Since you like the biscuits and gravy, you might want to study that one too! Sawmill gravy and biscuits are my FAVORITE! Next time you're in the US, try going to a Cracker Barrel for every meal of the day, their biscuits and gravy are the best! :thumbsup2

I must say that this was the most helpful review I have ever read....thank you!

We did the lunch in Nov with 3 adult kids :17,22,23 and they had a great time. We also did hubby and myself for dinner in May for our 25th ann and it was great! No characters really just a show, great food and an anniversary gift from the Fairy Godmother! You will always feel just a bit weird w/o kids but it wasn't bad and I'm glad we went!

That is very good to know. I really do want to go because even thought I am now 29 I still think I am a princess lol!

I have loved your reviews, thanks for sharing. I am always miserable on the last day too (and usually the last full day as well), maybe it is something to do with coming back to the English weather! I am trying to persuade hubby about trying CRT, may have more success if bump is a girl!

Laur's princess:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter