• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ginger for seasickness

ciska

Mouseketeer
Hi

Called my docter today to ask if i could take bonine against seasickness. I had to ask because I am taking tablets for an disease called Meniere. She told me that if I would made tablets with Ginger this would help against seasickness she tried it herself and said it worked. Anyone heard of ginger helping against seasickness??

Love Ciska :earsgirl: :earsboy: :banana: :dog:

ciska said:
Hi

Called my docter today to ask if i could take bonine against seasickness. I had to ask because I am taking tablets for an disease called Meniere. She told me that if I would made tablets with Ginger this would help against seasickness she tried it herself and said it worked. Anyone heard of ginger helping against seasickness??

Love Ciska :earsgirl: :earsboy: :banana: :dog:

Yes, I have most definitely heard of this...I even bought motion pills with this for my FIL...I must say, that they did not help..Perhaps for someone else they did, but not him....

I've heard of Ginger settling your stomach once you are sick. I have not heard it used as a preventive method though. So my thought might be like apples and crackers, ginger helps you recover from seasickness but I don't know if it would prevent it like bonine or dramamine.

I bought ginger tablets at our local GNC...I even use them for air sickness(I don't fly well). My entire family takes them the day before we cruise and the day of the cruise. Never had any problems or need for stronger medicine. DS even took them when he went deep sea fishing. They work for us....

Bethipooh4 said:
I bought ginger tablets at our local GNC...I even use them for air sickness(I don't fly well). My entire family takes them the day before we cruise and the day of the cruise. Never had any problems or need for stronger medicine. DS even took them when he went deep sea fishing. They work for us....

Were the ginger tablets you got chewable? My kids are 8 & 5 and don't swallow pills yet. Just wondering how they come...
Thanks!

I have heard of ginger helping out...with motion sickness. I've even heard of ginger candy, ginger snaps and ginger ale (anything with ginger in it)....so those might be a possablity if the tablets are not chewable.

it was also a custom to put ground ginger in water to prevent someone who has been overexerting themselves in the heat from getting sick to their stomach.

Had some friends that went with us Deep sea fishing and took ginger.

They got sick as dogs.

The problem with stories of people who say they took it and it worked can never be sure they would have actually been sick if the hadn't taken them.

Since I don't get SS, I could eat dirt and it would "work" for me.

Living on the water and having sailed across the atlantic twice and cruised many times, Bonine is the one that works consistently for people who take it that normally would get seasick, when others around them are getting seasick.

Just my two cents.

Jiim

mott said:
Were the ginger tablets you got chewable? My kids are 8 & 5 and don't swallow pills yet. Just wondering how they come...
Thanks!

Sorry, the ones I have are actually kinda large...check around though, they may make chewables

Ginger helps to settle an upset stomach. You need real ginger not articial ginger (as in ginger ale now).

On our first Disney cruise, I was sooo seasick....you can even seen the green tint to my face in pictures from that night (I had to excuse myself from dinner after the appetisers because I couldn't keep anything down)! The "less drowsy" Dramamine built up so much in my system (and I took only the recommended dose, no more) that I ended up sleeping almost the entire day that we were at Freeport...I physically couldn't keep my eyes open. I still hate that I missed a whole day of our cruise!

So, when we went to Hawaii earlier this year, I tried ginger pills (from the Vitamin Shoppe) to help with seasickness, since we were scheduled for several whale-watching cruises in pretty choppy waters. I NEVER got sick once!

Ginger may not work for everyone, but it does work for me. You could give it a try -- maybe it'll work for you, too!

Erica

We usually just take Dramamine/Motrin on the first night for a headache but we brought Ginger Snaps with us last year. We didn't need anything at all this last time. Did have a headache later in the night but I think it was more tiredness of a long day.

Kim ºOº

Last year we had very rough seas during the first few days of our trip. Our server constantly had a fresh piece of ginger (the type and size that you have with sushi) in his mouth, and he offered one to us at each meal too. It really did help.

This year I've decided to try something else--lollipops that were initially used for morning sickness and are now used for motion sickness and for the sickness associated with chemo. I ordered them from www.queasypops.com and I believe I paid $10 for 15 lollipops.

I know that my sister's dog (in my siggy- the Schnauzer) gets car sick. We started to give him ginger before he went for a caar ride, and no more puking!!! He couldn't even make it on a 10 minute ride before the ginger....

I was advised by my step-mother-in-law who is an avid cruiser to take Ginger Caps for our 2nd cruise this past May since I experienced 1 day of sea sickness on our first cruise. I had the sea bands for the first cruise which didn't work and then I took the "non-drowsy Dramamine which made me very sleepy, so we missed dinner and I was out for the count until the next day. After that, I was fine but I didn't want to miss out on anything again. So, I was advised to try the patch if I took another cruise which is by perscription only.

So I got the got the patch for our May 2005 cruise and followed the recommendation to try it out at home a few days before our cruise date. The patch gets changed every 3 days and you alternate ear bases. I had no problems but I also took a ginger cap the day before we cruised and had the patch on as well. The patch worked so well, that I didn't need the ginger caps for the rest of the trip. I was like bring on the waves!!!

I can't make a fair assessment to say whether the ginger caps helped or not. My step-mother-in-law swears by them and I swear by the patch!

I also have Meniere's Disease and I would not recommend taking dramamine or using sea bands or patches without clearing with both your Doctor and the pharmacist. The medicine you take for Meniere's could amplify the medications in these products and might cause serious side effects. As you have probably read on the literature that comes with your prescription, you should check with your Doctor or pharmacist before taking ANY OTC medications. This stuff isn't anything to mess around with. I don't mean to alarm you - but I think perhaps alot of the previous posters aren't aware of the nature of your illness or the nature of the medications used to help with it.

I had severe morning sickness with all of my pregnancies and was not allowed any OTC medicines. I took ginger capsules as well as used ginger liberally as a spice on more of my food. It helped tremendously. I wasn't well, but I was functional. I would definately recommend the ginger.

Have a great trip!

Aboard the tall ship Lady Washington, they commonly provide candied ginger to people on day sails who feel sick or actually "feed the dolphins". I have observed that it seems to help them feel much better. Don't know if the ginger actually settles the stomach, or just gives them something else to think about...

You can also get Ginger tea bags at a health food store or most grocery stores with a decent selection of herbal teas - that might help kids who can't swallow pills. I think the success of ginger simply varies from person to person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter