• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

getting the tomatos to grow when its so cold

LAinSEA

Meowmy to Tuxedo Cats
Two years ago I planted our tomatos first of May (from transplants bought at the nursery) and the poor little things barely grew for the first month - it was so cold. We got tomatoes ripe first part of September! Then last year I waited to plant until the first of June - tomatos didn't ripen until end of September and then frost got them first week of October!

How can I get them to grow and produce by the end of July?

Our vegi garden is in raised beds - great organic mix soil - on the south side of our house with lots of sun (when it isn't raining...sigh) and a timer irrigation system.

Please any ideas?

-LA

Take the wire tomato racks,and get some clear plastic bags and make a greenhouse
around your plants.You may have to make some holes in bags so it won't get to hot.
I have done this and it works great.

Tomatoes need hot weather to grow and ripen, especially warm nights. I would suggest starting your own seeds yourself in early Febuary. This way you will get a head start on the growing season. Also you can use black plastic in between the growing beds this will warm the soil.

You will need to harden-off the plants before you plant them in the soil. Also you can use a transplant solution. Most plants are shocked when planted and they just sit there and do nothing for a few weeks. This solution will get them moving a little faster.

Just a thought, but what kind of tomatoes are you growing? Some are supposed to produce fruit earlier than others ( for instance, 70 days instead of 88, but I don't remember off hand which ones) , but if you planted two different varieties, maybe one will produce fruit earlier for you.

Does anyone else like fried green tomatoes? That's what I love about tomatoes. I can eat some of the green ones while waiting for the rest to ripen.

Great ideas!

I usually grow romas, early girl, patio, and yellow plum. The early girl ripens the same as the rest - not early.

I will try the plastic to create the greenhouse around the cages and some black plastic between the plants also.

Today - for example - it going to be between 45 adn 47 degrees and we've got wind gusts up to 25 mph - snow level went back down to 4000'. Spring came and went on Friday (might make another appearance this Friday - up to 55).

I can't start too many seeds indoors - my cats like to eat any plants or cuttings and putting them up doesn't help as Matilda "has learned to levitate".

thanks again for all your great ideas,

-LA

A plastic, one-gallon milk jug (clear). Cut the bottom out of it, then place the "hood" over the tomato plant. Press firmly into ground to anchor. Instant green house! And the spout at the top allows rain or water to get through. Your plants will grow like wildfire!

How hot is hot enough? I've put tomatoes, bell peppers, and bush beans in containers, bought when it was a really hot day but now it is in the 60s. Should I "greenhouse" the plants?

Cheers :)

PD, how cold does it get at night? If it in the 60s during the day, but down to the 40s at night, then, yes, I would put some type of protective covering over them. I've always found that the more TLC I give my baby tomato plants, the healthier they are later on.

9244.jpg

I used the Wall of Water again this year, my plants are mostly over 4 feet tall now.

I have a couple early cool weather varieties that are smaller, but have tiny (dime sized) green ttomatoes...My first ripe tomatoes should be here in a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter