Getting Halloween Decorations Cancelled for Entire Class?

What should teacher do?

• Switch to autumn decorations only

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Keep up whatever decorations are in the classroom

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
If one parent can get books banned from a school, I say absolutely one parent should be able to cancel classroom decorations they find offensive. That is the current culture we are living in.

there is no reason kids should be trick or treating during school hours

If one parent can get books banned from a school, I say absolutely one parent should be able to cancel classroom decorations they find offensive. That is the current culture we are living in.

there is no reason kids should be trick or treating during school hours
Do the decorations depict explicit sexual material?

Just FYI--this call may well be totally "baked." Stirs up calls pro/con, makes for interesting topic.
I was an elementary teacher before I started working with pre-service teachers. This particular call may be baked, but it would not surprise me if it were true.

Non-American here... How does the discussion Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays fit into this?

It might take a few years, but it might well happen that public discussion changes your holidays.

In my own country we have a big holiday which originally had one racist character in it. Not viewed as racist by most nowadays, but in essence it's a racist thing. Protests/remarks about this character have been there since the 80s. The last 5 years the protests became more intense and nowadays you do not see this character anymore at all, and on occasion in a modified form.

This one mother can be the start of omitting death and zombies etc from Halloween. Who knows how we think about this topic in ten, twenty years from now.

I do wonder what this mother thinks of Jack Skellington. :)

But, why? Why should my tax dollars go to give financial relief to those who want to send their kids to a school whose beliefs I find deplorable (I am an atheist and fervently despise all forms of religion).

But by saying that you wish the government supported those who wanted to send their kids to religious schools, you are in fact supporting a theocratic worldview.

Not to mention, where does it end? According to your wishes, should ALL religious schools get government funding? Suppose The Satanic Temple, a recognised religious organisation by the federal government, decided to set up an elementary school and I wanted to send my kids there as I wanted to raise them as Satanists. Should that school get government benefits, even though it's controversial? Or how about I set up an elementary school based on the beliefs that Lord Manhammer is a god (he is/I am). Should that school get funding? It's a real slippery slope, man.

As far as I know, a lot of schools keep the g word in the pledge. I told my kid to ignore the pledge and just not say anything. No issues.

I will say this though, Boss, and you'll like this since you're a catholic. I went to a jesuit school. Man, those guys rock. So the SJ's are a-ok in my book.
Did you guys know that in some states, religious schools DO get taxpayer funding? In Florida, private charter schools - many of which are religious based (and poorly regulated) are now entitled to a hefty slice of taxpayer funding that formerly went to public school budgets. So much for the separation of church and state. :(

Irish person here, Ireland is a very traditional Catholic country, we don't have separation between Church and State. Halloween started in Ireland, it is based on Pagan Celtic traditions which have become adapted and modernized. The Irish Pagan Celtic traditions were brought to American by Irish people escaping The Famine from 1845 onwards.

I really don't understand how Halloween is celebrated as part of Irish culture and heritage, yet in America people have these strange assumptions that it can't co exist with their religious viewpoint.

Protestant vs Catholic beliefs. For Catholics, All Hallows eve is the evening before All Saints Day- like Christmas Eve.

US Protestant traditions don't have same beliefs. Many are very anti anything Catholic, including Halloween.

We are Catholic and used to decorate and build an elaborate graveyard in our yard that people would take photos in.

I love to remember our loved ones who have died and am the genealogist in the family.

Irish person here, Ireland is a very traditional Catholic country, we don't have separation between Church and State. Halloween started in Ireland, it is based on Pagan Celtic traditions which have become adapted and modernized. The Irish Pagan Celtic traditions were brought to American by Irish people escaping The Famine from 1845 onwards.

I really don't understand how Halloween is celebrated as part of Irish culture and heritage, yet in America people have these strange assumptions that it can't co exist with their religious viewpoint.

Mom should probably gird her loins and buckle up. Diwali is maybe two weeks after Halloween this year and there's a good possibility that, unlike Halloween, there will be a segment of curriculum devoted to explaining the celebration and her child may also participate in making decorations for the classroom to mark the occasion.

Education has been devoting a lot of attention to multiculturism over the past 25 years. Matter of fact, mom probably wants to suit up even before Diwali -- it's a good possibility her child will be learning all about dia de los muertos the day after Halloween and coloring a mask.

I realize that things are different in this day and age, but I was always the Jewish kid in a classroom filled with Christmas decorations. We usually had at least one Hanukkah song in our holiday productions, and I was always given a Hanukkah option if we were doing arts and crafts projects. Mind you, while we didn't religiously celebrate Christmas, my parents did embrace certain things like holiday music and driving around to look at decorations. So, that helped things feel more comfortable in school.

I also have a child with severe peanut and tree nut allergies. I have always taken the angle that she needs to learn to live and survive in a world where people eat nuts. We NEVER had anything banned from her classrooms. She was allowed to move if someone near her was eating something with her allergens and she always brought her own lunch, snacks, and party treats. If I was present at a class party or met with the teacher in advance, we would have a game plan of what was safe for her to eat so she could participate with the group.

I never wanted anyone to miss out for just one person. I was never left out and my daughter was never left out, so I don't feel like the teacher should have to redo everything for one person.

You can't make any broad assumptions about American's beliefs, especially about things like Halloween. Unlike your country we are HUGE, and extremely diverse and we've lost count of the number of religions. Christianity alone has hundreds of different groups, most know nothing about the others and have their own opinions on what they "think" they are about. Some who fall under that category probably should not but so far there is no official "other" group.

Halloween is enjoyed by people in most every religion and has nothing whatsoever to do with Catholic vs Protestant vs ANYTHING else. It is a secular holiday enjoyed by most people AND is not enjoyed by small sects. This is why one parent is complaining yet I assume the other 30 did not. Halloween is misunderstood and often portrayed as something it is not by these sects.

I had neighbors that were a large family. All but one child would do themed very fancy costumes and trick or treat. The child who thought Halloween was "evil" would stay home. They then grew up to be a youth pastor who works at a mega church who hosts Halloween Trunk or Treat event. No idea if they participate in that but even within this one family they couldn't agree on Halloween.

Again, I am fine my kids celebrated FALL at school ... but I more than made up for it at home with a large Haunted House, yard cemetery and annual Halloween party for whole neighborhood. It was big at our house when I was a kid too ... grandparents were Protestant Methodist, Catholic and Jewish. Halloween had nothing to do with those religions.

I never got the whole religious view some apparently have that Halloween is somehow anti-religion or glorifies satan or whatever else they claim. A few people where I work always talk about these things and most of us tell them it is a fun holiday for children to get candy from their neighbors. There are lots of options for costumes where the girls dress up as a princess or boys can be an astronaut or your favorite comic strip character if some might be opposed to certain types of costumes. Seems like a few people with extreme views want to deprive everyone else of the enjoyment the children get from Halloween. Seriously doubt any of the children are opposed to celebrating, but more likely something brought about by their parents.

If some parents are opposed to trick-or-treating, then they should keep their children at home but let others who enjoy this holiday still do what they want.
How is it a religious holiday? Even Christmas at the root of it isn't religious. The early Christian church's marketing department just coopted a pagan celebration. Saturnalia and turned it into Christmas.
That’s my thing. Mickey Mouse Jack-o-Lanterns aren’t celebrating the occult or Satan. Calm down. It’s just fun for the kids.

Can’t speak for all, but I don’t think it’s Catholics who think this as much as other sects of Christianity that are here. Nola has a huge Catholic population & everyone I know went to Catholic schools as did their parents & now their own children. It’s a non issue for us.

My daughter went to a private school (kindergarten-4th grade) and started public school in 5th grade. The private school was way more into Halloween (well, all holidays). They were allowed to wear their costumes to school and each individual class had their own Halloween party (done by parents, of course). Special festivities in the auditorium. When she entered 5th grade in public school....none of that, not even decorations. This child's mom is not going to be able to call someone when he child is exposed to something she doesn't agree with, religious or otherwise. This can be a teachable moment for them. I can't see a school changing Halloween for one parent complaining, but I have seen some schools change because many parents complained. But, I still think the old saying applies, " The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few."

Did you guys know that in some states, religious schools DO get taxpayer funding? In Florida, private charter schools - many of which are religious based (and poorly regulated) are now entitled to a hefty slice of taxpayer funding that formerly went to public school budgets. So much for the separation of church and state. :(
Why shouldn’t they? If a parent chooses to send their child to a school that is available that aliens with their beliefs, shouldn’t the school taxes they already pay help pay for it?

We sent our kids to a private catholic school. We didn’t choose the school for the religious aspects but unfortunately in our area, there we no private schools that weren’t religion based.

I would have loved if the portion of our taxes that went to public schools went to the tuition we paid.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this situation. Children are in first grade, if that makes a difference. What should the teacher do in this situation?

On the way to work I listen to a local station (Kramer and Jess, 106.5 for my Baltimoreans). Today a mom called in for their "Bad Mom" segment. She wants to get Halloween decorations cancelled for her daughters entire class and wanted to know what listeners thought.

Mom's Side:
  1. Mom says their religion does not observe Halloween. This is her DDs first year in a public school.
  2. Mom said she is okay with autumn decorations such as pumpkins and leaves but not decorations specific to Halloween with skeletons, jack o'lanterns, zombies, etc. (not even cute fun ones).
  3. Mom did not say if she wants the Halloween party cancelled because her family does not celebrate; it was not stated whether or not the school has a parade or not.
  4. Mom feels Halloween is dark and her child should not have to sit with these decorations up for the entire month of October.
  5. Her DD told other kids in the class that , "Halloween is bad."
  6. Mom wants to contact the teacher to discuss her concerns.
Apparently another mom in the class started texting this mom, saying it would be "unfair parenting" to try to cancel Halloween decorations just because one child does not celebrate.

Neither radio show host has children, but one of the hosts compared the situation to a nut allergy, where if one child has a nut allergy then not nuts should be brought into the classroom (or school, if there is a schoolwide policy). He felt the mom had a good point. What say you?

You can listen to the segment but I was not sure if I can post links. If you Google, "Kramer and Jess 'Bad Mom' segment' Halloween" you can find the audio.
I'd be really surprised if they had a Halloween party. All the schools I've worked in over the last decade or so have specifically not been allowed to have Halloween parties.

I had to deal with this a little when I was involved in PTA for my DD's (14) elementary school. Most parents who did not observe the holidays were great, and understood that they were the minority. They were willing to work with the teachers, and pulled their kids during class parties, which were always scheduled for the last hour of the school day. We did keep the decorations around the school more on a seasonal look then specific holiday, which was required by the school district. At PTA events we were able to add some of the Holiday things since it was and optional event.

I always felt bad for the little boy in my daughters class who was not allowed to attend the Halloween party, the Christmas party nor the Valentines party. I understood the parents decision, but always felt he was left out of things.
Wow, I'd feel really bad for that little boy too. but also super disappointed that the school wasn't proactive and decide to make the festivities inclusive. Many schools moved to "winter" parties years ago. Seems like a simple solution that apparently wasn't considered...sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter