Geriatric MM Warriors June 13, 2010

Lisa - I'm so sorry. My prayers and positive thoughts will be with you and Tom. I will continue to check in on the caring bridge site. :hug:

Hi Lisa - I am thinking about you and hope that Tom is comfortable at home. Do you have nursing help? I will continue to check in at the caringbridge site.
Nothing new here - except the 10 inches of snow! I am one of the lucky ones that still have heat/power.
Take care. :hug:

We don't have nursing help yet. He is not in pain and is able to give himself his blood thinner shots. He cannot walk very well and has to use a cane and hold onto doors, etc. Soon I think we will need help with a shower stool, etc. He is afraid of the shower now and has been taking baths. His leg is so heavy and cumbersome; he can barely move it.

We have a care nurse advocate from a service Blue Cross offers so I will be catching her up on the latest soon. She can help order help for us.

Our doctors want us to meet with hospice soon. They said most people wait too long and there is a lot of help they can give rather than just at the end.

Hi Lisa - Hospice was a godsend when my mother was sick. I called during the middle of the night when my mother was having trouble breathing and the nurse brought over an oxygen tank. I found out during our conversation that she was home when I called and didn't think twice about coming out in the middle of the night. Not only did she help my mother, she helped to calm me down as well. I only have the highest praise for them.

Sorry I have been away from the site for so long. I do not know where the days go to.

Lisa, I am so sorry the treatments did not work for Tom. We had such high hopes everything would be OK after the chemo when we had lunch in August. I will definitely pray that he is comfortable and that you will not suffer too much either, although that is probably not possible. I know how much you love Tom and he loves you.

Diane - you have your own nightmare with the job issue. I have a young friend who started out at Macy's part time and is now in a management position.

:hug: to both of you.

Oooh Jocelyn! I am so glad to 'see' you! I know that Lisa will be happy to hear from you too.

Lisa - I think about you so often during the day. I know that you have your mom & dad nearby - that must be helpful.

One of the jobs I interviewed for last Monday left me a phone message and said they will have a decision by next week. It was a long message and sounded positive (but who knows!). Keep your fingers crossed.

Hugs and prayers. :hug: xo

Hi Lisa - Wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Hi Lisa - I should hear on Monday from one of the interviews I had on the 24th (the one I want!). I have an interview on Thursday at the Culinary Institutre of America (not as a chef!) :). I work tomorrow at Macy's for the first time and again on Sunday - a total of 8 hrs.

I read the caringbridge post. I'm glad that JP is there with you both. I will continue to pray for all of you.

Hi Lisa - Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you. :hug:

Thanks, Diane! Did you hear anything on Monday? Still holding good thoughts for you! Tom is very tired and druggy most of the time, but he is comfortable and able to sleep at night, which was one of our goals.

Hi Lisa,
I'm happy to hear Tom is able to sleep at night. How are you sleeping? I hope you're taking something to help.

I haven't heard anything about the job yet.
I was broadsided on Sat. on my way to Macy's for the first day of work (a whopping 3 hrs.). My car was totalled and I have neck/shoulder/leg pain. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow and a lawyer on Friday. I have a rental car until the 26th and hopefully I'll be able to find a car to buy for the money they're giving me. It's ironic that I just finished paying for it in October. Grrr.
I had an interview scheduled for tomorrow at the Culinary, but had to reschedule. They're seeing me on the 30th! I'm kind of glad it's been postponed - less time I have to worry about how it went, since they're still interviewing until the end of the month.

Take care.
Love,
Diane :hug:

Hi Lisa - I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving day with your family. Are you parents coming over? You're such a smart lady scheduling all of Tom's visitors.

I'm going to my friend's house. She's having her boyfriend, mother, brother, nephew and me over for dinner. I had a falling out with my sister - really a knife into my heart. Owen always goes with his dad's family on Thanksgiving. He's there now, since this is the first time his dad is actually hosting it and he needs help (in more ways than one ;))

Two more interviews on Friday. One is for a crummy job and one is for an okay job. I'll take either one if they offer.

Take care.
Love,

Hi Lisa -
I've been checking in on the caringbridge site. I think you're doing the right thing in limiting visits if they sap Tom's energy. I don't know if you'll be checking here - but had to let you know.................I GOT A JOB!!!! :goodvibes I had my second interview today and she called this evening to offer me the position. Needless to say, I accepted! Whew.
It's not a dream job, but it will see me through for a while.
I pray for you, JP and Tom every night. I will continue to visit the caringbridge site.
Take care,
Diane
xo

Diane,

Something told me to check on your job situation tonight. Surely, you should win an award for your diligence and positive attitude. I am so happy for you! Let this be the stepping stone to all of your dreams.

We are pretty tired and yet the journey seems like it has barely begun. Not that I want to speed it up, of course, just that the road ahead seems scary as we are in such uncharted territory.

I spoke with a funeral home today. What a horrible job, but it makes things easier at the time if one is prepared and contracted in advance. My main goal is to make Tom's time of transition as easy as I can on JP and Bonnie, believe it or not I worry about her, too!

He is beginning to sleep more and eat less, which we know is one of the steps. He is terribly short of breath and more frail but can still chat up a storm with his friends, leaving nothing left for me and JP at the end of the night. JP asked me to make sure we take no more visitors this week. Smart kid.

I hope you really enjoy the new job and I can't wait to hear about it. Know that I think of you often, even thought I seldom have the energy to post.

Hi Lisa,
Today was my first day at work - I'm beat! ;) It seems like a good place and the people are nice. I am so thankful that it came along. It will help me stay afloat longer.
I think about you all the time. I know this is the hardest time in your life. When I worked at the church there was a lot of people who planned their own funeral services -they weren't even sick, just wanted to have it all worked out for their family. It must have been terribly difficult for you at the funeral home - I hope someone was with you.
How is Bonnie reacting to all of this? She must sense something.
How do you like hospice? They were angels during my mom's illness. I hope they are helping you too.
I know your time is filled. I will continue to check the caringbridge site and I will post here to let you know what's going on with me too.
Love,

Hi, Diane! How's the new job going?

Tom has been keeping me up with delusions all night every night. I am sorry I haven't been in touch; just too exhausted right now. A new medication made things escalate to a critical level on Friday night when he became physical and hurt my arm. We are dialing things back to just the morphine, but that doesn't keep him asleep. I don't know how much I can take of the sleepless nights...

Hi Lisa,
Don't worry about not posting - I know you're busy.
When I watch Judge Judy she asks people what they do for a living and several times people have responded that they take care of their grandmother, aunt, etc. who is sick/disabled. The govt. pays them. I'm not sure what that is called, but I would ask your hospice provider about it. Maybe you could have a relative, neighbor or friend pitch in and get paid for it.
Is JP still at your house? You really need to get a good night's sleep - at least one. It's easy to fall apart when you're tired.

I've actually received a second job offer! It's for the one I wanted - 8 miles from my house and enough money to live on! I start on Jan. 9. I haven't given the current job notice yet - I'm waiting until Jan. 2. They're really nice people, I hate to leave them high and dry - but they'll find someone else quick enough.

Owen & I are having Christmas alone this year at home. I'm making a pot roast and some special desserts. Later in the day he's going to his dad's and I might go to the movies with some friends.
I bought a car today to replace the one that was totaled. It cost less than what the insurance gave me for my old car - Yay!! It's an old fogey Buick century with 41,000 miles on it - so it should be good for awhile. Vinnie's friend sold it to me, so I'm not too worried about it.

Christmas blessings to you, Tom & JP.
xxoo

Hi Lisa,
I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you.
Robin emailed me and she wanted to let you know you're all in her thoughts and prayers.
Hugs and prayers,
Diane
xo

Hi Lisa,
I wanted to send you a hug for your birthday!
Love,
Diane
xo:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter