Gastroparesis & Autism related restrictive diets: Do better Disney!

Steve, I sincerely apologize for mistaking your posts as rude if they were not written with that intention. When you said I just want a discount, all reason went out the window. Now I understand you were just trying to speak factually. At the time I honestly felt it was a jab. Sorry for my harsh response.
No need to apologize. I am sorry that you interpreted my comments as an attack. They weren’t intended as such.

Disney is limited in how customized guest treatment can be in the parks in many ways. it would be really challenging to both determine who might qualify for a good container takeaway in AYCTEs and explain in a satisfactory way why only some people could have boxes. Disney would run into all sorts of legal issues if they offered such a service to only one (or a small subset of all conditions. They would be accused of giving preferential treatment (or discriminating against other disabilities). And people with the same/similar need. and those desiring the benefit for other reasons would complain loudly.

Disney isn’t in a position to evaluate each guest’s medical condition, and there are issues regarding whether an accommodation provides an advantage or not, in terms of if proof of disability needs to be provided/evaluated. And Disney would need a medically trained staff or contractor to evaluate documentation. For DAS, they want to know the impacts of waiting in line, not the diagnosis

As others have posted, Disney-operated table service restaurants can provide adult-sized portions of child dishes and often/sometimes will permit the ordering of a child’s meal for an adult (though I don’t honestly know what reaction to expect if only child’s entrees were ordered- I’d be sure to note with the waitstaff that the tip would be based as if adult entries were ordered).

Non-Disney operated restaurants are another story. For example sone of the restaurants in Epcot, (at least historically) the Pepper Market at CSR, and many of the restaurants at Disney Springs.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, “reasonable“ is evaluated in the context of what changes/resources the entity needs to make/provide to meet the identified need. Factors considered in the evaluation include economic expense as well as the impact on what, if any, business processes would need to be changed. Generally, there is not an expectation that the business will fundamentally alter its business model to accommodate the needs of a disabled customer (eg, a motorcycle rental company likely does not have to provide a motorcycle capable of accommodating a wheelchair).

I am sorry if your experience at Disney was not what you expected and that planning takes time. I have a rather complex set of challenges to address (and it keeps getting bigger), and I usually have at least one backup to the primary plan, so I very much understand the effort required.

Last edited:
@Mia22 First of all, welcome to our little corner of the DIS. We aren’t the biggest group, but overall I have found the advice given here to be *accurate*, and based on Disney’s own posted rules. Some other places on the interwebs seem to be intent on telling folks all of the “hacks” for Disney… and while it’s great to know how many uses there are for a quart-size zip-lock bag at Disney World 😂 you, me and most of the folks around here need real life, solid information we can plan around. Luckily, we can find that here, because everyone is aware of the consequences of not setting a proper expectation.

My own personal experience with ordering kids meals at table service locations at WDW has been mixed at best. Typically, if our (adult) family member asks the waiter if it would be OK to order from the kids menu, they will give 1 of 2 responses: either “I’m sorry, but we can’t really do that” or “Yes, but the meal will be priced at the adult portion rate”. I have also learned that appealing the “no” decision usually does not work, no matter how many pretty-pleases-with-sugar-on-top you add!

Most of the time, our family does not get the full ”value” of an AYCTE if you look only at food consumption. We go, knowing that we are paying for the atmosphere, character interactions and/or other features of that venue. We tend to seek out the type of experiences that are similar to Garden Grill at EPCOT, or Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge. Those present “family-style” dining where it is still an all you can eat format, but a relatively fixed menu, and they tend to be a bit more accommodating (for example, they can bring the mashed potatoes out in a separate bowl if someone needs them to not touch the other food, or they can leave off the bbq ribs if no one is going to eat them). I have also noticed that planning those kinds of meals for “off-schedule” times (ie, lunch at 2:00 pm, or dinner at 4:00 pm, etc.) often results in a much more relaxed, easygoing atmosphere for everyone, including your server.

We have family members who regularly bring their own food, and while Disney kitchens can’t warm that food, or present it with the other food ordered, we have had no pushback when it comes to guest-supplied food at quick service locations. At table service locations, we would expect to see a “plate charge” on our bill, however in all honesty, we never try to take our own food into a table service venue of any kind at WDW, so I can’t speak to what might actually happen there.

I truly hope you all have a great trip when next you go to WDW, and that you can find several strategies here to help make the overall experience easier for you, and all of your family members. So often, we find that we have to create our own customized way of doing things when we travel; hopefully you find ideas that work for your entire family as well!

I’ve heard such wonderful things about how Disney handles special diets for those with allergies, special diets due to religious beliefs and those with lifestyle choices such as vegan diets. We love WDW and feel supported by the DAS system in the parks and are grateful that my daughter has reasonable accommodations so that she can enjoy herself.
Not all people on a vegan diet have done so because of "lifestyle choices". My daughter is allergic to all meat and some dairy. We study the menus before we go and plan accordingly.

I also work with students with autism, and there are ways to expand the selective palate. I actually thought my daughter was being selective when she used to gag eating meat. Turned out that was an allergy response! Anyways, there are ways to work through the food issues as long as it isn't an allergy. That might help her out a whole bunch :)

I’m sitting here in tears. I posted in a disability form hoping to get some support from a community who can understand where I’m coming from. It is okay to disagree with my feelings about feeding issues and TS dining, but when I felt that someone was insinuating I was trying to unfairly take advantage, it hurts. When the poster said that it is like them Disney for 95% off a park ticket due to their mobility issues. I felt attacked, not supported. Feeling supported doesn’t mean I expect people to just agree. It means. I hear you. It must be hard, but it isn’t going to change because it isn’t plausible.
I'm sorry you feel attacked. Disney has many different dining options for you, and there are websites online that have the menus so you can plan what places would meet your needs. Budget in for paying for her meals even though she might not eat anything at a buffet, or skip the buffets if they don't work for you. That's what we did when my youngest would only eat bread, French fries and fruit. First trip to WDW I was so thrilled to find a French fry stand in Adventureland. Otherwise, that trip she lived off of what we had brought down with us. Luckily she was under the age of 3, so we weren't charged at the buffets at that time. The next trip, when she was 5, we just accepted that she wouldn't eat much. That was her choice (expanding the selective palate didn't happen for quite a few years later) and if she was still hungry afterwards, we'd find something elsewhere that she would eat. She does all the meal planning now for us at WDW, so that she knows she will find an acceptable meal.

It’s tough when it’s your child. You want them to have the magical experiences that other kids and families have. My DD issues are different but my sadness was the same as yours. I suspect that frustration with the diagnosis and the challenges that never let up even at the most magical place on earth is bothering you as much as the price. At least it did me. It’s been 20 years since our first trip right after her diagnosis. Thinking about how much I wanted everything to just be normal still makes me sad for that time in our lives. It got easier as she got older. I hope somehow it gets easier for you. In the beginning we avoided situations that I knew would be difficult. She couldn’t miss something that she didn’t know existed. If I thought a meal situation could be managed we did the best we could with it. We have paid for plenty of food that could not be eaten over the years. Some things you just have to let go and focus on the things that are under your control. I know it’s not easy but that’s the best advice I have.

The small to-go box at the buffet also sounds like a reasonable request. Maybe the size of the little cupcake containers? It might actually reduce vomiting in ALL people if this was allowed. My only concern (and maybe Disney's) is people taking perishable food around the park in warm weather, eating it three hours later and getting food poisoning. So...maybe limit it to non-perishable stuff only. I'm not sure how to regulate. Maybe there can be a special section of the buffet with crackers, cookies, dried fruit, etc. And each person is offered one container before they check out.
The amount of policing for this scenario you created would double the price of buffet meals, IMO. The OP can make a choice of not going to the buffet meals - there are plenty of other options. Table service would require some planning to see if there was anything there her child could eat. Then the family could order and share the leftover food. Counter service would be the easiest, as you can order online and just go pick up the food.

I do NOT want a discount for simply eating less. We are lucky she’s not on a feeding tube. She is medically complex and eats TODDLER sized meals. She vomits 24/7 and is on home tutoring due to her illness. She is puking as I write this! If they won’t allow us to order a kids meal, I have every right to express my disappointment and should be able to without dealing with negativity.
I mean people are repeatedly telling you you can order a kids meal at an adult price. So. Yeah.

Just eat half your food and bring your own to go container. It's not like they're going to stop you from boxing up food you paid for and didn't eat. That seems like a pretty simple solution to me.

Or just mobile order quick service. Mobile order is so convenient and they have so many choices.

Disney has many different dining options for you, and there are websites online that have the menus so you can plan what places would meet your needs. Budget in for paying for her meals even though she might not eat anything at a buffet, or skip the buffets if they don't work for you. That's what we did when my youngest would only eat bread, French fries and fruit. First trip to WDW I was so thrilled to find a French fry stand in Adventureland. Otherwise, that trip she lived off of what we had brought down with us. Luckily she was under the age of 3, so we weren't charged at the buffets at that time. The next trip, when she was 5, we just accepted that she wouldn't eat much. That was her choice (expanding the selective palate didn't happen for quite a few years later) and if she was still hungry afterwards, we'd find something elsewhere that she would eat. She does all the meal planning now for us at WDW, so that she knows she will find an acceptable meal.
This is my basic philosophy. ⬆️

Disney does a great job of adjusting and meeting the needs of those with special needs. We feel they go above and beyond most places. But since this is just about eating ~ it is not reasonable to expect them to adjust their profitability and business model when there are so many options available. The restaurants are accessible, they have been open to seating us in places that work better for DS, they work with allergies and they will usually work with adjusting meals within reason on their menu. To ask them to adjust their pricing, which is built on an algorithm to make sure that restaurant is making it's profit projections, is not reasonable. And sadly we all know if they adjust for a few, there will soon be volumes asking for the accommodation.

It is MY responsibility to select dining locations that work for DS whether we are looking at noise levels, timing, seating structure and menu. We look at menus before we leave, we choose some because we can eat appetizers or sides as our meal, we don't choose some because of cost relative to food that will be eaten, we choose some because we can take food to go as we leave and we choose some knowing we will overpay but we want the experience. EX: We haven't gone to California Grill since they went to a prix fixe because we can't order just appetizers for a meal. Sad we have to miss it but there are plenty of other places that will allow. There are SO MANY options, it is up to us to decide which ones work for us.

I appreciate all the help we do get, dining is just not going to be something I get upset about when I can control our experience.

Last edited:
Are you having a bad day SteveMouse? Why respond so rudely? By the way, we wouldn’t request a to-go box in WDW, although I thought it would be a reasonable accommodation for a guest like my daughter. Why would your impulse be to respond to me as if I’m some sort of grifter? I’m not some cheapskate looking for a freebie. I don’t want a handout. I just hoped Disney would include autism related restrictive diets or medically restrictive diets to the mix as they seem to do such a good job with allergies and such.
I can’t imagine what I said to deserve such a rude response.
I get that it is frustrating paying those prices when you can't eat much. Many of us have medical issues where we can not eat a full portion. But WDW has tens of millions of visitors a year. Many have some kind of restrictions or medical issues. Restaurants can not operate like that. How do you even price that stuff out? How do you order food? You are thinking of your one self, but the restaurants would have to deal with this many, many times a day. The reality is that they can't cater to everyone's special needs at that level. Restaurants run a tight margins and have to make the meals priced to where they are not losing money. And that just doesn't mean that you pay less for less food. The prices have to include not only the cost of the food, but the labor, utilities, etc. There is a reason why many restaurants fail.
Disney is one of the few theme parks that lets you bring in your own food. That in itself is a huge accommodation.

I do NOT want a discount for simply eating less. We are lucky she’s not on a feeding tube. She is medically complex and eats TODDLER sized meals. She vomits 24/7 and is on home tutoring due to her illness. She is puking as I write this! If they won’t allow us to order a kids meal, I have every right to express my disappointment and should be able to without dealing with negativity.
I feel for you in all that you have to deal with. I will say that different people can read the same post and each context can be taken differently. For example, I thought that you felt it would be appropriate to offer a lower price for smaller portions and offer choices from the kids menu for special needs like your child has. So, obviously I misunderstood your post. That being said, is it possible that what you’re stating as being rude is possibly just the frustration of not getting your message across.

If I were in your position and want to eat at a buffet for the entertainment and experience for you and your family, I would suggest that, when making reservations, talk to the manager about including your daughter at your table, explaining that she has special dietary needs and will be bringing her own food and not partaking in the buffet. I could be wrong, but I think they would be okay with that. If they do allow you to do so, go to a counter service and order what she is able to eat and take it with you.

Best to you.

I hear you. My daughter has always had eating issues related to her autism and we’ve visited the world many, many times. I’ve never asked for a discount or anything special, ever. The gastric medical issues she has are new. I really was hoping for some reasonable accommodation and listed a few ideas such as a smaller portion (not a discount on a full meal) or being able to have the special diets team add a note to allow a kids meal at a TS restaurant. We wouldn’t even take a small boxed to-go portion as it would go bad and logistically wouldn’t really work for us, but for some might work and that’s why I mentioned it, although if we were dining at our resort it would be helpful. We always pack non perishables and I read all the menus ahead of time. It is what it is. We are still super excited to return to the Disney bubble regardless!
So happy to hear that. Hopefully your next visit will be fully magical. God Bless.

I feel for you in all that you have to deal with. I will say that different people can read the same post and each context can be taken differently. For example, I thought that you felt it would be appropriate to offer a lower price for smaller portions and offer choices from the kids menu for special needs like your child has. So, obviously I misunderstood your post. That being said, is it possible that what you’re stating as being rude is possibly just the frustration of not getting your message across.

If I were in your position and want to eat at a buffet for the entertainment and experience for you and your family, I would suggest that, when making reservations, talk to the manager about including your daughter at your table, explaining that she has special dietary needs and will be bringing her own food and not partaking in the buffet. I could be wrong, but I think they would be okay with that. If they do allow you to do so, go to a counter service and order what she is able to eat and take it with you.

Best to you.
This isn't an option, and is not a "manager by manager" choice.

Buffets, character meals, etc you are paying that price for the entertainment. They cannot allow you not to pay if you bring your own food whether from home or QS or eat nothing. They cannot grant that. It's Disney policy that the "cost" for fixed priced meals is set because it's the cost of entertainment not food.

Your suggestion is well intended, but it is simply incorrect that what you suggested is even an option.

@Mia22 First of all, welcome to our little corner of the DIS. We aren’t the biggest group, but overall I have found the advice given here to be *accurate*, and based on Disney’s own posted rules. Some other places on the interwebs seem to be intent on telling folks all of the “hacks” for Disney… and while it’s great to know how many uses there are for a quart-size zip-lock bag at Disney World 😂 you, me and most of the folks around here need real life, solid information we can plan around. Luckily, we can find that here, because everyone is aware of the consequences of not setting a proper expectation.
I don't think it can be stressed enough how important this is. When I was planning my first trip as an adult with disabilities, other sites and forums gave me nothing but assurances that I would automatically get all the accommodations I thought I needed. That turned out to be *so* not what I really needed to hear, because I got to the parks and the reality was quite different. It was even worse than it had to be, because I had not prepared any alternate plans. I know I can come off as negative here sometimes - especially about things that you *can* request and you *might* get but are *not* guaranteed - but I just really don't want anyone else to go through that unpleasant experience.

DD has EoE, ARFID, and is autistic so I understand where you're coming from, a feeding tube has also been discussed due to her being underweight her entire life.

Over the years of visiting WDW we have fine tuned the way we dine out to make it the least stressful. The first thing to understand is your child's relationship with food means going to a restaurant probably sucks for them, a lot. Sure they may like the experience of the ambiance, characters if they're there, or 1 awesome thing from the menu, but the point of going to a restaurant is to eat. So when I book a sit down meal I do so with the understanding that this is something I'm doing for me and I weigh the costs of potentially paying full price for everyone against whether my desire to eat out is worth it.

Second, I make sure if I expect my DD to eat at this meal that I have a backup plan for food, whether it's a bag of goldfish and PB sandwich or a meal I have vetted from the menu ahead of time. I also make sure if none of these options work out I know where she can get food rather quickly, usually a quick service nearby I know has an acceptable option. Always plan for failure, we spent one afternoon in Disney Springs getting sunburnt because we ran from QS to restaurant to kiosk trying to find chicken nuggets/tenders she would find palatable. She ended up having a milkshake for lunch and an early dinner back at the resort (Disney chicken is edible to her, none of the independent places in DS were).

Thirdly, bring entertainment. Headphones to drown out noise and books, downloaded movies/shows on a phone/tablet, video gaming devices, and music to help pass the time so they won't have to stare at you eating while being bored. There were a few meals DD didn't eat anything because we fed her before hand or had a plan to feed her afterwards and that's okay.

Fourth and finally, the special diet department at Disney is good for making sure specific ingredients are excluded and/or food be prepared in a specific way. Anything beyond that is up to us to manage because they do not have medical staff in the kitchen, no one is going to know exactly what you need because of a specific condition until you explain it to the chef. If the option you want is just less food, ask for a smaller portion but expect you may be charged fully (yes this sucks but they don't charge extra at buffets when people out eat others, it works both ways). At Boma they generously steamed DD a serving of peas since she can not tolerate any seasoning or sauces and then offered us a to go cup used for coffee to take the leftovers back to our hotel room. At both Steakhouse 71 and O'hana I brought food from Casey's for her to eat, they brought out a plate for her and she was quite happy watching her youtube videos and eating her preferred food. I didn't have to pay anything at Steakhouse 71 but O'hana charged me in full, I probably could have argued with the manager but the meal was so enjoyable I didn't mind paying. Our last vacation was 2 weeks long at the world and we had about 5 sit downs, the rest were QS or food we had grabbed on a trip to the grocery store. We found the key to a happy trip is to manage our expectations.

Last edited:
Where possible, disney chefs will do a great job trying to help you meet your needs. I have some allergies, and they've always been amazing. If they have the ingredients, they will do what they can. As mentioned throughout, the flexibility at buffets or all you care to enjoy places really isn't there, and quick services, well, no one knows if you're ordering a "kids" portion. I can't finish an adult meal, so I order the smaller portions where available all the time. I also occasionally order appetizers and dessert instead of a large meal. Otherwise, it never hurts to ask. As mentioned above, many places will allow a kids meal for an adult, but it will be an adult portion and adult price. Still food waste, but if the issue is the food item itself, can be very helpful. Just be as kind to them as you would want them to be with you. Arguing just stresses everyone, and rarely changes the answer.

I even had one place that went so far as to pack me up some mashed potatoes and bread to go (it was a buffet type, and I didn't request to take anything) where they normally wouldn't, because the heat got to me and I was nauseous. We fully intended to just pay the check, full price, even tho all I had at that point was a drink, and get back to the room and rest. That little bit of pixie dust, that I wasn't expecting, was rare, but so magical.

I'm sorry that you didn't feel supported with the answers you received.

When my oldest was 3, we went to Trail's End (AYCE breakfast). We put a small amount on her plate...then she decided she wasn't hungry. Didn't touch it. I told our server that I understood that she really wasn't supposed to - and that it was fine if she said no, but was there any way that we could possibly get a to go box since she hadnt touched her food. She was super sweet and did give us a to-go box, but I was fully prepared to pay for her meal. To have a policy to do something similar across the board would be difficult because it could easily be abused. There's nothing from stopping someone from eating their fair share, then taking a to-go box, and servers are really too busy to try to keep track of who's eating what and how much.

I also deal with gastroparesis, although certainly it's not as severe as your daughter's. It's quite sporadic, and unfortunately, I won't know until the meal how I'll feel, so I understand the frustration.

Some local restaurants, with a doctor's note, will allow some who have had gastric weightloss surgery to pay children's prices or eat off the kids' menu. It'd be nice if all places did that for all gastric issues that require people to eat substantially smaller amounts.

Instead of half portions, maybe split an entrée with her at a counter service location? Even before my medical issues, we used to routinely split meals at counter service locations.

Another option would be to bring containers with you to store food from places that allow to-go boxes. When my kids were younger, we used to have a soft sided cooler & blue ice for cold food and an insulated jar for warm food. Now that I have gastric issues, I do the same for me.

I will say that I know our trips are less food-focused than some folks, and we tend to eat rather sporadically/snack throughout the day. We also pack snacks, uncrustables, etc. Table service and AYCE places are a once or twice a trip thing for us.

Maybe pick one or two places where the experience would justify part of the price, then opt for counter service the rest of the time.

I have a son who has autism and is picky. I am a school nurse and I have worked with students with food allergies, gastroparesis, tube feeds, etc. It is hard to balance out your child's needs versus your own. I research multiple restaurants prior to making reservations. My son's favorite two foods are macaroni and cheese and cheese pizza. We chose primary quick service, and when we sit down, we make sure that he has something to choose from. Last trip, we did Sci-Fi, Be Our Guest, and the restaurant in the Land. He ate macaroni and cheese at Be our guest. We were fully prepared to pay for an adult price for the macaroni and cheese. Twice we did, once we did not. Be our Guest was a once in a life time restaurant for me. He will not sit through another nearly 2 hour meal like that again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter