Gaps in the bathroom

If someone looks in that 1/4” gap while I’m taking care of business inside the stall, they’re going to be the worse for the experience, not me.

I've noticed that higher-end stores and restaurants have more complete doors in their restrooms

I think it's just a cost issue
I was at a McDonald's on Sunday and each stall was a separate room floor to ceiling with a 3/4 door on each. So you either had to crouch down or be very tall to see inside. It appeared to be a very inefficient use of space.

Last edited:
I teach elementary school. There are two adult bathrooms in the building, but nowhere near my classroom and sometimes it’s an emergency (peeing is a luxury), so on occasion I go in the girls’ bathroom.

Last year a girl came up to the gap, and I could see her eyeball looking in and she said, “Oh hey Mrs. E.” :magnify:

I kept my composure and asked her for privacy, but that story makes me burst out laughing every time I think about it. Hopefully she wasn’t scarred for life.

While it may seem like exaggerating to someone who’s grown up using these toilets, it is very, very strange for us British people. I’ve never seen a toilet door with a gap like that in over here, but they’re everywhere in the States. Our toilet stalls shut from the inside so there is no gap. I do feel like it’s an invasion of privacy to have people potentially peeking in at you when going to the toilet!

Some of the other parts of the article I don’t agree particularly with, but others are so relatable! The advertisements for lawyers, and for medication, and all the flags! So different to the U.K. :)

I don't know how to quote attached photos but the picture of the open row of toilets tvguy posted on page one is literally what public bathrooms look like in my nightmares. You know, the dreams where you REALLLLYY have to go but there is no appropriate location to do so.

I have a shy bladder so I love it when a public bathroom has stalls that are completely enclosed. Unfortunately those are few and far between, but I understand the impracticality of it, I suppose. Also I guess it is sort of a safety issue if the lock happens to get stuck while you're in there.

reading all this back and forth. really if you are American and you have never travelled to Europe / Ireland / UK you will not understand the issue. The fact is American toilet doors in public toilets ARE different, its a cultural thing. If its something you have always experienced you wont notice. Just because something is the way it is in America does not mean that it that way in other countries. It is just one of the many many cultural difference Europeans notice in America.

I’ve never had a problem with peek holes in the doors, in public bathrooms. So for me, it’s a non issue.

No one loves the gaps, but you get used to it. And it's my experience that people avoid looking in that direction when scanning for a stall... they scan for an open door or no feet visible under the door. The only peepers I've ever noticed were small children, and they are just curious about who's on the other side of the door. Of course, about that time, their parent will reprimand them... :)
I had a little guy look under the door once and wave at me. lol.

But, I know some people really struggle with the need for privacy in order to "do their job," so I would be observant and search for single, standard-style bathrooms if it was an issue. They are out there, just harder to locate.

I teach elementary school. There are two adult bathrooms in the building, but nowhere near my classroom and sometimes it’s an emergency (peeing is a luxury), so on occasion I go in the girls’ bathroom.

Last year a girl came up to the gap, and I could see her eyeball looking in and she said, “Oh hey Mrs. E.” :magnify:

I kept my composure and asked her for privacy, but that story makes me burst out laughing every time I think about it. Hopefully she wasn’t scarred for life.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I also generally use the kids bathroom because the adult one is so far from my room. The kids want to have a full on conversation with you between the crack in the door!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I also generally use the kids bathroom because the adult one is so far from my room. The kids want to have a full on conversation with you between the crack in the door!!!

Staff using the kids bathroom is a big no-no here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter