Free parking and Valet parking for those with auto handicap tags?

Slight addition to 3): Must have valid disabled placard displayed OR plates on the car.

We drive to WDW so actually have both a placard and disabled plates.

It's much simpler when entering a theme part lot where CMs are directing cars into a row to wave the placard so they immediately see you have one and can point you toward the handicap section.

Plus, should anything happen to your own car, you've the placard for use with a rental.

Don't have to remember to hang the placard when in your own car if your state permits you to get both.

Not to be too hard on self, bsmcneil. :flower3: I read your thread asking for tips as a single parent with 2 kids and your followup. Sounds like you did pretty well given the challenges you all had. So, pat self on back and give self a bit more credit, ok? :)
Thank you - I very much appreciate that, lol. It made me tear up a little :-D I will add to say that in the parks (that have them - one seemed not to; but, I forget which one - the "follow the blue line" aspect was super helpful! And, as some had mentioned - the medical overflow parking in MK can be kinda bad. We were some of the last to leave on a Deluxe Extra Hours night, kids were really struggling and the car was SO far away! But still, better than it could've been, I'm sure!

This is my suspicion for Disney resorts with valet parking, too.

All the more reason to rent/buy DVC points! Free parking at DVC resorts whether renter or owner.

Not like I :love: them DVC points or anything.

Since Disney began charging for parking at all the Resorts, I have yet to be charged for parking (Valet or "standard" self-park). I always make sure to hang my handicapped placard from the rear view mirror, and I also make a point to stop by the front desk, and tell them where I parked, and give them my tag number, and a description of the car. We stay at mods and deluxes; I cannot make any claims regarding the values.

It takes *maybe* 10 minutes max (if you have to wait in line at the front desk) but I haven't been charged for parking once, either so...

I always make sure to hang my handicapped placard from the rear view mirror, and I also make a point to stop by the front desk, and tell them where I parked, and give them my tag number, and a description of the car.

A good procedure, IMO.

As I mentioned previously, a person can't safely assume that the valets report your car as handicapped-eligible to the front desk because people not staying at the resort qualify for free valet parking if they have a valid placard or plates.

If you use II or RCI to trade into a DVC unit, is the parking free? We are going to be at SSR, and have a handicapped placard, but if we didn’t, would we have to pay for parking, or is trading into the resort the same as renting points?

Thank you - I very much appreciate that, lol. It made me tear up a little :-D I will add to say that in the parks (that have them - one seemed not to; but, I forget which one - the "follow the blue line" aspect was super helpful! And, as some had mentioned - the medical overflow parking in MK can be kinda bad. We were some of the last to leave on a Deluxe Extra Hours night, kids were really struggling and the car was SO far away! But still, better than it could've been, I'm sure!
I suggest not trying to follow the blue line. If the regular Medical parking is full or temporarily not in use, following the blue line can lead you to a dead end at a closed lot and won’t lead you to the alternate parking area.
As you come into the parking lot, watch for signs with the white on blue handicapped symbol or changeable signs that point you where to go.
If you have either a handicapped plate or hangtag, make sure the CM at each direction point sees it.
There may not be as many CMs directing if you arrive late in the day; you can ask where to go at the parking booth when you enter.

If you use II or RCI to trade into a DVC unit, is the parking free? We are going to be at SSR, and have a handicapped placard, but if we didn’t, would we have to pay for parking, or is trading into the resort the same as renting points?
I’m not sure because no one has posted.
The reason that DVC doesn’t charge is that the DVC members pay for parking in their dues. It’s not just people with handicapped parking permits who don’t pay, it’s anyone staying on DVC points.

I suggest not trying to follow the blue line. If the regular Medical parking is full or temporarily not in use, following the blue line can lead you to a dead end at a closed lot and won’t lead you to the alternate parking area.
As you come into the parking lot, watch for signs with the white on blue handicapped symbol or changeable signs that point you where to go.
If you have either a handicapped plate or hangtag, make sure the CM at each direction point sees it.
There may not be as many CMs directing if you arrive late in the day; you can ask where to go at the parking booth when you enter.

I’m not sure because no one has posted.
The reason that DVC doesn’t charge is that the DVC members pay for parking in their dues. It’s not just people with handicapped parking permits who don’t pay, it’s anyone staying on DVC points.
That makes a ton of sense (re: blue line). Thank you!

Do the resorts still offer free valet parking for those visiting for a dinner reservation to people who have the handicap auto tags ? Also, do the resorts still offer free parking for those with the tags? How much do you tip your valet? Do you tip at drop off, pick up or both.

1. Most DVC resorts do not have valet parking.
. . . Saratoga Springs no valet
. . . Key West no valet
. . . Wilderness Lodge, yes, but LONG walk to room
2. Most Deluxe resorts have valet parking.
. . . Fort Wilderness no valet
. . . FW overflow parking must use buses
3. Moderate or Values have no valet.
4. All the parks have handicap parking.
. . . sometimes follow the "blue" line
. . . if full, look for sign boards on road surface
. . . MK handicap walk is longer walk than a tram *
5. At any resort, placard or tags get free parking.
6. We normally pay valet $1-$2 at pickup (ONLY).

* Trams and handicap ("HC") walks
Sometimes HC parking is longer walk than taking trams.
But, walkers and strollers must fold-up for trams.

Hmmm, hadn't thought about the DVC-only resorts like Saratoga and OKW not having valet parking, but yeah, makes sense that only the Deluxe-hotel-and-DVC ones do.

Incidentally, you get free valet parking when dining at a resort that has it, which some don't realize is the case.

We will have a disabled tag when we visit in August. We are not staying onsite but plan to eat at some of the resort restaurants. One we want to try is topolino terrace for breakfast.
If we park in the valet parking I assume we only have 3 hours to eat and leave, as we were hoping to take a trip on the skyliner too (as just missed it on our 2019 August visit when staying at CBR). We aren't planning on visiting any parks that day but fancied seeing other resorts. Would we need to skip the skyliner and move the car each time?
Also if we wanted to park in a resort valet without a dining reservation (counter service for example) would we need to park in the main parking lots and transfer by bus with our mobility scooter to the specific resorts (thinking captain cooks at poly for example, need my Tonga toast fix 😊 )?
Thanks

Technically, valet does not have a time limit. If you self-park when visiting a resort for an ADR, you are expected to move your vehicle when done with the meal/shopping/visiting.

It helps to look at the reason behind the rule. Many of the resorts are close to a theme park but have relatively small parking lots. The purpose behind the parking rule is to make sure there is parking available for guests who are staying at, or have business at, that resort. When people park at a resort and go elsewhere, the lot can fill. Valet parking is not taking up a self-park spot, so it is exempt from the time limit.

Thank you for this. We'll enjoy visiting the resorts knowing we won't have to keep moving the car around. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter