Free dining complaint...

Thanks for the info. Plus that is the best answer for the OP.

Now even the cheapest value suite is probably more than a room at a mod that can hold 5 with the trundle bed but if they make an exception here you get back to the guy who gets just 2 value rooms for the same 5 people because he really doesn't need the few extras a value suite gives you.

I can understand where your coming from!! It would irritate me as well to think that someone staying in a moderate and paying less was getting more!

This is another one of those cases where everyone cannot get everything they want every time.

You cant compare the price of a single mod room to the suite. Comparing the cost of two mod rooms to a suite is around the same.
Book two rooms at a mod and get the regular ddp.

You have options... You just dont seem to like them.

That's because once upon a time, Disney Dining Plan was the "lowest" dining plan... QSDP had not been introduced yet!
I got free dinning and i'm not going to complain. Disney dosen't have to even have to offter free dinning. I saved $458.12. We live in a world today that some people think they are entited to everything free. I don't know about those people but like i said i'm thrilled to get free dinning and i don't worry that some may be paying less and getting more. I'm happy that i get to go WDW and not not going to let the little things get the best of me. MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand where your coming from!! It would irritate me as well to think that someone staying in a moderate and paying less was getting more!

On the other hand, should I (with only two people in my room) be irritated that her family got free dining for five people (last time) for the same amount of money that I got it for two people?

Wow this thread is getting a little ugly! I would be thankful for just being able to go I was just saying I can undertstand why the OP may be a little miffed about it. People take things way too seriously!

for us FD is the difference between doing wdw and not doing wdw....
i "counter" the cost of ddp, and use it to book a larger room... with 5 disney adults options for accomodation are very limited and after doing pors with a trundle... never again!!!
we looked at the suites and they are still small at the value, and whilst some people dont care, for us extra space to sleep is very important.
if you want the DDp, go for a shorter period to a "nicer" hotel. simple. i too believe if its free, dont complain.

Wow this thread is getting a little ugly! I would be thankful for just being able to go I was just saying I can undertstand why the OP may be a little miffed about it. People take things way too seriously!

I agree. The OP didn't understand why she was spending more this year on her room, but getting less. It seemed unfair, she lodged a complaint in the proper way, and then came to this disboards to find some allies or at least a better understanding.

Thats what forums are for really, people looking for empathy and information.

I think the logical best answer came from chartle. I learned something from that.

As for all the 'don't complain it is free' comments, I don't get them at all. Nothing is free. It is all part of the price. It is a shell game.

Now, if I got a room discount, paid for my tickets at AAA, and had arranged my DME, and then Disney called and said, "congratulations, we are going to add the quick service dining plan to your account! No charge! Have a magical stay!"

And then someone complained because they didn't get deluxe dining plan... Well then everyone could unload. But "free dining" in this case is not free or a gift.

As for all the 'don't complain it is free' comments, I don't get them at all. Nothing is free. It is all part of the price. It is a shell game.

Now, if I got a room discount, paid for my tickets at AAA, and had arranged my DME, and then Disney called and said, "congratulations, we are going to add the quick service dining plan to your account! No charge! Have a magical stay!"

And then someone complained because they didn't get deluxe dining plan... Well then everyone could unload. But "free dining" in this case is not free or a gift.

Free dining is a DISCOUNT that Disney offers. If the OP is not happy with the discount they got, they should change their plans to get the discount they wanted. Disney has offered discounts based on room type for a long long time now, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that a lower category room gets a lower category DISCOUNT.

I can understand their disappointment, but if you think about it logically, it makes sense why Disney does it by resort category rather than room price. Im just happy that they DID offer free dining this year. It let me extend my vacation by 2 days!

I can totally see where the OP is coming.

Once upon a time when Disney offered Free Dining everyone got the same dining plan regardless of where they were staying. A lot of people get the free dining but stay in a value resort. Disney said wait a minute we are really losing money on this and then only started offering the quick service plan to those who stayed in values probably in an attempt to get them to shell out more money and stay in a moderate to get the regular dining or shell out more money and upgrade to the regular dining out right.

My point is if you are staying in a family suite you are paying a lot more than those staying in a moderate but if you want the regular dining you are going to have to pay more for it even though you have already paid more for your room.

All that being said I wouldnt let this upset me or make me angry and I would still be grateful for anything free I received from Disney but I can totally see the unfairness of the situtation.

:thumbsup2

Patrickprincess said:
I got free dinning and i'm not going to complain. Disney dosen't have to even have to offter free dinning. I saved $458.12. We live in a world today that some people think they are entited to everything free. I don't know about those people but like i said i'm thrilled to get free dinning and i don't worry that some may be paying less and getting more. I'm happy that i get to go WDW and not not going to let the little things get the best of me. MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Patrickprincess, this doesn't sit so well with me. The fact is, disney is a company. She doesn't have to be happy that her money is not going as far as it used to. Don't forget, everyone pays to be at WDW. I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think that means we should just be grateful and shut up. WDW is expensive. Point blank.

I don't have much of an opinion on FD (I've never stayed onsite) but sometimes we get this attitude of "don't complain, be grateful!!!!!!"! Well, I'm paying for a service and if things don't go as I think they should I have a right to calmly question, complain, or try to get things fixed.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox now lol

Sorry Patrickprincess, this doesn't sit so well with me. The fact is, disney is a company. She doesn't have to be happy that her money is not going as far as it used to. Don't forget, everyone pays to be at WDW. I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think that means we should just be grateful and shut up. WDW is expensive. Point blank.

That would be fine if that was what the OP was complaining about. They are actually angry at the thought that someone is getting something "better" than what they are getting, even though that other person is staying at a higher level of resort.

The OP has the same chance as the rest of us to pick which resort they wish to stay at. To pick the cheapest level and then complain that you get something not as fancy as those who stay at a higher level seems petty.

That would be fine if that was what the OP was complaining about. They are actually angry at the thought that someone is getting something "better" than what they are getting, even though that other person is staying at a higher level of resort.

The OP has the same chance as the rest of us to pick which resort they wish to stay at. To pick the cheapest level and then complain that you get something not as fancy as those who stay at a higher level seems petty.

Actually, the OP is confused and upset because they spent less on their room last year at a moderate and got DDP, this year they are spending more on a suite at a value and are getting the QSDP. They are comparing their two trips last year and this year. It is a legitimate question for most people in the world.

I have traveled to WDW quite a few times, stayed on site every time, and have never used the dining plan. I researched and learned as much as I can for the past 10 years, and have been following boards closely for more than five years. And I still thought the OPs question was good. Chartle and other kind people have helped clear up the misconception. I have learned something to pass on to friends and family.

I can't imagine why people would post something mean spirited when someone asks a legitimate question.

Actually, the OP is confused and upset because they spent less on their room last year at a moderate and got DDP, this year they are spending more on a suite at a value and are getting the QSDP. They are comparing their two trips last year and this year. It is a legitimate question for most people in the world.

I have traveled to WDW quite a few times, stayed on site every time, and have never used the dining plan. I researched and learned as much as I can for the past 10 years, and have been following boards closely for more than five years. And I still thought the OPs question was good. Chartle and other kind people have helped clear up the misconception. I have learned something to pass on to friends and family.

I can't imagine why people would post something mean spirited when someone asks a legitimate question.

Yes, that's true. However, the op stated that they are now a family of 5 which is why they got the suite - it's not as if they're just choosing the suite. Assuming they don't want to wedge into a 5 person room at POR and stay in one room again (which would cost them the same as the previous year... and is a personal choice) they chose to get a suite. They would need to compare the cost of 2 rooms at a moderate to the suite to accurate price compare.

The cost of the 2 moderate rooms is in line with the cost of a moderate suite - minus the convenience of all being in a single large area. The OP is more than capable of keeping costs about the same room wise and getting 2 moderate rooms to get the free DDP... they're just choosing not to.

Has anyone complained to Disney about getting quick dining plan vs reglar plan when you stay at a suite during free dining?

We stayed at a moderate (6 of us including an infant) and received the regular dining plan. This year we took the bounce back offer but we had to book a suite since the youngerst will be 3. We are paying a lot more for the room and we only qualify for the quick service. It just seems wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone else thought so too. I sent an email to Disney expresing my opinion. I think if we get more people on board, they may change that rule. :yay:

I don't believe that expressing your opinion in an e-mail will work in this case. People will either book the suites or not. Disney will offer whatever discount will get people to book the suites. You are still gonna book the suite, right, so it is still worth it to you? The bottom line is that you have a total price for your vacation that you are either willing/able to pay or you are not.

If only offering QSDP to families in value suites causes families like yours to either squeeze into a moderate room (POR) or go offsite or not visit...then the policy will change.

I don't see why discounts have to be "fair."

Yes, that's true. However, the op stated that they are now a family of 5 which is why they got the suite - it's not as if they're just choosing the suite. ....

No, the OP is now a family of six because the youngest one has just turned three (last year they were five plus one under the age of three so they just barely fit into AB at POR). So a larger family has to get lodging that fits their family. Of course they are going to pay more. So they could book the rooms that fit their family at a moderate (two rooms or a suite at CSR) or they book the family suite at a value resort. Or they book a two bedroom villa or they book a suite at the GF.

Six people take more space, thus they pay more for their lodging. Free dining isn't base on how much you pay, it's based on the category of resort.

No, the OP is now a family of six because the youngest one has just turned three (last year they were five plus one under the age of three so they just barely fit into AB at POR). So a larger family has to get lodging that fits their family. Of course they are going to pay more. So they could book the rooms that fit their family at a moderate (two rooms or a suite at CSR) or they book the family suite at a value resort. Or they book a two bedroom villa or they book a suite at the GF.

Six people take more space, thus they pay more for their lodging. Free dining isn't base on how much you pay, it's based on the category of resort.

Ok - my fault with the 5 instead of 6.

My point remains the same - the op could get 2 mod rooms for roughly the same cost as the suite and get the free DDP. Or they could go deluxe if the want a suite but still want the regular DDP.

They don't HAVE to get the suite in a value resort, but are choosing to, and therefore get the DDP that follows the value level. A family of 6 isn't SOL and stuck with a family suite or anything.

Ok - my fault with the 5 instead of 6.

My point remains the same - the op could get 2 mod rooms for roughly the same cost as the suite and get the free DDP. Or they could go deluxe if the want a suite but still want the regular DDP.

They don't HAVE to get the suite in a value resort, but are choosing to, and therefore get the DDP that follows the value level. A family of 6 isn't SOL and stuck with a family suite or anything.

OK I went to allears and got the numbers so everyone can compare apples to pears.

The rack rate of a suite at ASMu, Regular season, is $254 per night. One room (non preferred) is $107 but I believe all the suites are in the same area as the preferred rooms which are $129.

A regular room at POR is $180 a night so 2 regular mod rooms are $360 a night. So $94 extra for two mod rooms vs a value suite. If the ASMu suite are considered preferred then you should use a preferred POR room which is $204 a night for a total of $408 for 2 rooms or $154 more.

I'm posting this so everyone can get a better feel for the numbers. All numbers are weekday rates and please check my math and reasoning.

Also I did not include AoA suites which start at $304 a night (still less) since I think their up charge is an experiment by Disney to see how far they can go on price for a "premium" value room.

I guess this is an example of how 2 people can read the same thing and get a totally different tone from it. To me the OP sounds a bit put out by the thought that they are paying more for a suite but only getting quick service dining because they are staying at a value resort. They did state they were going to complain, so I think they understand that what plan you get is tied to the level of resort you are staying at. Miffed yes, confused no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter