FP+ Pros/Cons

Ok I just made fp+ for 3 upcoming days. My comments are, on the plus side, it's nice to not have to trek to the rides for fastpasses not knowing what the return time will be.

On the negative side, it's really ticking me off that I have to choose between rides/limited to 3. On my Epcot day, I had to choose between Test Track and Soarin'. I ultimately chose Test Track, but that means that I probably won't end up riding Soarin', because I won't stand in a 2 hour line or whatever, I know myself, I just won't. And same thing at the Studios, I had to choose between TSMM and RnRC. I decided on TSMM, as I know that one is the hardest to get and longest line, but again that means I probably won't ride RnRC on this visit, which is not sitting well with me.

Ultimately I'm not sure I'm going to like this program, we'll see how it goes.

On my Epcot day, I had to choose between Test Track and Soarin'. I ultimately chose Test Track, but that means that I probably won't end up riding Soarin', because I won't stand in a 2 hour line or whatever, I know myself, I just won't.

Another way to go would be to FP+ Soarin' and not Test Track.

TT often has a shorter standby line, and you COULD ride TT via the Single Rider line.

I used FP+ in September and I loved it. I wouldn't say that I liked it better or worse than the legacy FP system...it was just different.

There seems to be a lot of discussion on this thread about the inability to ride things more than once (or twice if you are willing/able to get to the parks at rope drop) with short wait times. If all you want to do at Disney World is ride after ride after ride after ride...then I can see how this would be an issue for you...but it was not a problem for me.

DHS seems to be a prime example because of the 3 headliner attractions there. What do you do for the rest of the day after you use your 3 FP+? Here's what I do...see Beauty and the Beast, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Muppets 3D, Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Star Tours, One Man's Dream, Fantasmic, ride the Great Movie ride, do some shopping, eat a meal at Sci Fi (enjoy the old B movie clips), and a meal at Brown Derby. If there's time I will also visit the Animation Building, visit with some characters, try my hand at drawing a character, see the Lights Motor Action stunt show, and possibly a show a second time. It's REALLY hard to fit all that in.

At AK there are 3 shows, the Conservation Station, and the animal trails (and all the other animal spots scattered throughout the park) that I find really hard to fit in to one day. At Epcot there are all the shows and movies in the different countries to see, the aquariums at the Living Seas which I always enjoy, Innovations, the interactive games in Spaceship Earth, etc. And MK has so many rides besides headliners, shows, Tom Sawyer Island, parades, etc. So much to do...

While I understand that these things might not appeal to everyone...many people just don't do them because they don't take the time or don't even realize those things are there. Why not give them a chance? And if you have...and don't care for them...then I can see where you wouldn't be happy with or benefit from the FP+ system (and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise). But I think it's a pro of the FP+ system that makes you stop and smell the roses, enjoy ALL the things the parks have to offer instead of just one feature, and slow down and RELAX (yes...you can relax at WDW).

FP+ really works for my touring style. I get to the parks for RD (unless I am there with my boyfriend...then we only do one or two RD days so he can sleep in...but he doesn't ride roller coasters so it works out). I stay in the parks all day until the night time entertainment. I eat 2 TS meals a day. I sometimes just like to sit and relax, eating an ice cream sundae (or other dessert) and people watch. I always come back from Disney relaxed...not exhausted. I like to go at a slower pace and enjoy as much as what the parks have to offer as I can...not JUST the headliners (which I also like). I also travel during low crowd level times and choose parks with lower crowd levels each day...which I understand is not an option for some people but it's how I roll (my parents always took me and my brother out of school to travel during slow times). I do get park hoppers...but typically park hop to see night time shows rather than to ride rides.

Also want to note that I spread my FP+ throughout the day...usually one late morning, one early afternoon, and one either late afternoon or early evening (so I could have dinner at a TS and then get a spot for whatever night time entertainment is offered at that particular park). I do not have a smart phone and did not make any adjustments to my FP+ selections after I left home. I did skip a couple because I didn't feel up to riding those rides that day (had plenty of other stuff to do). This seemed to work out perfectly for me.

I used FP+ in September and I loved it. I wouldn't say that I liked it better or worse than the legacy FP system...it was just different.

There seems to be a lot of discussion on this thread about the inability to ride things more than once (or twice if you are willing/able to get to the parks at rope drop) with short wait times. If all you want to do at Disney World is ride after ride after ride after ride...then I can see how this would be an issue for you...but it was not a problem for me.

DHS seems to be a prime example because of the 3 headliner attractions there. What do you do for the rest of the day after you use your 3 FP+? Here's what I do...see Beauty and the Beast, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Muppets 3D, Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Star Tours, One Man's Dream, Fantasmic, ride the Great Movie ride, do some shopping, eat a meal at Sci Fi (enjoy the old B movie clips), and a meal at Brown Derby. If there's time I will also visit the Animation Building, visit with some characters, try my hand at drawing a character, see the Lights Motor Action stunt show, and possibly a show a second time. It's REALLY hard to fit all that in.

At AK there are 3 shows, the Conservation Station, and the animal trails (and all the other animal spots scattered throughout the park) that I find really hard to fit in to one day. At Epcot there are all the shows and movies in the different countries to see, the aquariums at the Living Seas which I always enjoy, Innovations, the interactive games in Spaceship Earth, etc. And MK has so many rides besides headliners, shows, Tom Sawyer Island, parades, etc. So much to do...

While I understand that these things might not appeal to everyone...many people just don't do them because they don't take the time or don't even realize those things are there. Why not give them a chance? And if you have...and don't care for them...then I can see where you wouldn't be happy with or benefit from the FP+ system (and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise). But I think it's a pro of the FP+ system that makes you stop and smell the roses, enjoy ALL the things the parks have to offer instead of just one feature, and slow down and RELAX (yes...you can relax at WDW).

FP+ really works for my touring style. I get to the parks for RD (unless I am there with my boyfriend...then we only do one or two RD days so he can sleep in...but he doesn't ride roller coasters so it works out). I stay in the parks all day until the night time entertainment. I eat 2 TS meals a day. I sometimes just like to sit and relax, eating an ice cream sundae (or other dessert) and people watch. I always come back from Disney relaxed...not exhausted. I like to go at a slower pace and enjoy as much as what the parks have to offer as I can...not JUST the headliners (which I also like). I also travel during low crowd level times and choose parks with lower crowd levels each day...which I understand is not an option for some people but it's how I roll (my parents always took me and my brother out of school to travel during slow times). I do get park hoppers...but typically park hop to see night time shows rather than to ride rides.

Also want to note that I spread my FP+ throughout the day...usually one late morning, one early afternoon, and one either late afternoon or early evening (so I could have dinner at a TS and then get a spot for whatever night time entertainment is offered at that particular park). I do not have a smart phone and did not make any adjustments to my FP+ selections after I left home. I did skip a couple because I didn't feel up to riding those rides that day (had plenty of other stuff to do). This seemed to work out perfectly for me.

Glad you liked it so much--honestly I am--but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the system you used is not the same one in place now. For instance, it looks like you were able to use your FP+ on three "headliner" attractions at DHS--that is no longer possible.

I guess it saves Disney money on printing and electricity, machine repair, I guess.

I liked getting surprise "bonus" fast passes for the next ride from the machines though. I guess things like that aren't possible any more.

So I can't make any reservations until June or July at the earliest, but I'm checking out this "My Disney Experience" site.

Jeez how complicated this is looking to be...are your magicbands ordered when you place a package reservation or is that something you have to do separately?

Also, should I invite my girlfriend to the planing group or is it just easier to do everything on her behalf?

If your package includes a room reservation, they will ship to you automatically.

Gotcha. Do you handle package ordering in the usual way or do I go through this my disney experience site somehow?

Gotcha. Do you handle package ordering in the usual way or do I go through this my disney experience site somehow?

Usual way. If you haven't already, create an MDE account and then you can link everything together. At some point, you'll start seeing indications that your bands need to be customized before a certain ship date.

I think Disney has done a pretty good job on the "Nag" functions, pinging you by email and prominent display on the site when you log in as to what you need to or should do next. Make sure you are using a valid email address that you check regularly.

Usual way. If you haven't already, create an MDE account and then you can link everything together. At some point, you'll start seeing indications that your bands need to be customized before a certain ship date.

I think Disney has done a pretty good job on the "Nag" functions, pinging you by email and prominent display on the site when you log in as to what you need to or should do next. Make sure you are using a valid email address that you check regularly.

Well, I have a MDE account that seems to have been auto-created from my old Disney Account.

I can't book anything until June or July because my trip is in January of next year, but I'm just scoping things out, seeing what's up.

Proposed Solution: Disney offers everyone 5 FP+ a Day but limits people to 3 per park, and only Park Hopper or AP holders, obviously, can make FP+ reservations at multiple parks on the same day. Suddenly Disney will make $59 off of everyone who upgrades to PH (more for those who upgrade to AP), and people can make reservations for multiple "headliners" each day, albeit at different parks (For example, given the current tiering, you could make reservations for BTMR, Space Mtn, Soarin, TSM, and EE all on the same day if you are a PH/AP holder and feel like hopping all over the place. Guests get more useful FP+'s and Disney makes money. Everyone wins.

Hmm can I pay the 59 dollars for Park Hoppers then make all 5 for the same park? Because I could do that. Of course it would have to be 59 dollar add on total and I'd have to be able to do it every day of my vacation. I'm curious to see if they do start selling FP what the pricing is going to look like.

Proposed Solution: Disney offers everyone 5 FP+ a Day but limits people to 3 per park, and only Park Hopper or AP holders, obviously, can make FP+ reservations at multiple parks on the same day.

1- can I pay the 59 dollars for Park Hoppers then make all 5 for the same park? Because I could do that.
Of course it would have to be 59 dollar add on total and I'd have to be able to do it every day of my vacation.

2- I'm curious to see if they do start selling FP what the pricing is going to look like.

Since this is all just being made up as a hypothetical situation, anything could be done, but based on the info as postulated by DLFT then:

1- Nope. The idea is that you'd only get 3 FP+ per park, per day, max.
The other 2 of the 5 FP+ per day would have to be at a second park, using the Hopper (or AP.)

2- There has never, ever, once been a mention by Disney of a direct charge for any FP+.

~We love August, too! For us, it is so hot during the day, it was very nice to just enjoy the parks without having to race from fp machine to fp machine just for fast passes.

~Most fastpasses ran out by 1PM anyway and a lot earlier for the rides like TSM and Peter Pan.

~So if you planned to benefit from legacy fp, you had to arrive in the parks early to collect the fp's to begin with.

~If you're arriving in the parks in the afternoon, your riding standby regardless because fp's would have run out by then.

~With FP+, you already have three fp+ booked with times that you get to choose, instead of finding covered fp machines when you arrive. And, instead of running to a fp machine just to pull a fp, you get to walk right in the fp line. Nice!!!

~You don't get to pull a legacy fp and "walk right in." You have to arrive at the parks early before most fp's run out. Then you have to wait until your return time window opens and that could be an hour later or 6+ hours later, you have no choice regarding your return time.

~Also, you will not be able to pull another fp until the time Disney gives you. It could be 45 minutes or up to 2 hours before you can pull another pf. I like FP+ way more than legacy fp. :goodvibes

You're not telling me anything that I didn't already know, but don't agree with all of it. You didn't address my question about how to handle the long waits for other rides since you only get 3 FPS. When I said we walk right in after Pulling a FP, I meant we didn't have to wait in a long line. Just wanted to clarify that. I'm 64 and been going to Disney since 1972 and I've seen a lot of changes and don't like this one, but will adapt. I'm hoping that they will still change it in the future so that we get more than 3 FPs and they're not tiered. If you go this Aug, have a great trip!!

Glad you liked it so much--honestly I am--but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the system you used is not the same one in place now. For instance, it looks like you were able to use your FP+ on three "headliner" attractions at DHS--that is no longer possible.
I understand that I COULD have gotten FP+ for 3 headliners...but I DIDN'T FP+ 3 headliners. I can't ride RNR (health issues...it's the ONLY ride that I can't do at WDW anymore)...but was travelling with my cousin who I wanted to ride it. I went through the single rider line with him and then I took the chicken exit and he went ahead onto the ride. That went really fast and FP+ was not necessary. If I was still able to ride it...this would be my strategy...that or I would just get there early to ride it. Doesn't affect the rest of what I said about ALL the other things to do in the park.

You're not telling me anything that I didn't already know, but don't agree with all of it. You didn't address my question about how to handle the long waits for other rides since you only get 3 FPS. When I said we walk right in after Pulling a FP, I meant we didn't have to wait in a long line. Just wanted to clarify that. I'm 64 and been going to Disney since 1972 and I've seen a lot of changes and don't like this one, but will adapt. I'm hoping that they will still change it in the future so that we get more than 3 FPs and they're not tiered. If you go this Aug, have a great trip!!
~Alright then, rock on with your bad self! :cool2: You should be helping me to plan better. :rotfl:

~For me, in the time it takes to walk over and pull a fastpass and then come back, while also waiting to pull another fastpass, I could ride standby twice with time to spare.

~It is a long walk -- a least a quarter mile from Space Mountain to Splash Mountain or BTMRR, and even longer from the farthest point of Fantasyland. In October through March, this may be no big deal. But, in the August heat and humidity, this is brutal. We are not out of shape and unfit. I am a power walker and most people have to jog just to keep pace with me, lol. :yay:

~I don't know what it is about Florida's heat and humidity. I went to Las Vegas in August and it was almost 115 degrees outside and it did not affect me, at all -- same thing with the islands. When we arrive in Orlando and I first step outside that humidity hits me hard, I can barely breathe for a moment.

~Anyway, I'm used to seeing long lines for the E tickets in the late afternoon, but the smaller attractions are always doable and wait times are usually less than thirty minutes. We always accomplish our must do's before lunch and ride the smaller rides standby when it gets too crowded.

~Also, there are always opportunities to ride the E tickets without lines, especially when it rains, during parades, shows, fireworks, later in the evening. It just isn't constant lines all the time.

~We're commando's and we love the rides. I grew up going to Cedar Point, Kings Island and Kennywood. The first time we visited Disney World, I didn't think there were any rides, I was so disappointed at first. It took a while for me to appreciate Disney World. :rotfl:

~Using FP+ is takes some adjusting because you have more time to do anything. I didn't realize how "programmed" I was to run to the fastpass machine then return back to the queue then race to another fastpass machine and return back to the queue. It was so nice to just exit a ride and do whatever you want.

~I need to plan a little better this time, so we don't wander around -- I think we are going to park hop, too. Thanks for the kind words, we can't wait to visit Disney World again. And, I have got to see the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Fastasyland without the construction! :cool1:

~Anyway, I hope you have a fabulous time at Disney World this August. I love your signature, that little princess is too cute & adorable! Have fun! :goodvibes

Nemo32, I'm with you. I think the only ones who will enjoy FP+ are those who don't make it to the parks early. I don't like the idea of only 3 FPs a day. I'm not prepared to stand in long lines so I won't be going to Disney as often as I used to go. I'll wait until I retire and can go when the crowds are low.

I disagree with this. We are RD people, and FP+ only made RD better for us. FP+ the same things we FP-, and more time to ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter