For those who own DVC +another timeshare

nezy

DIS Veteran
We recently purchased a Marriott vacation club resale.

We love our DVC, but DH has wanted a deeded property.
My question is, if I want to do an II trade, what would be the better choice to trade-my DVC point or my Marriott Vacation Club at Cypress Harbor.

I know I would probably have a better chance of getting my choice through DVC, but I hate to give up my points.

We own both DVC and Marriott also. If you want to trade to another Marriott property then your Marriott would make more sense.

However if you're looking at a non-Marriott trade, perhaps through II, then I'd look at the value of what you're trading for what you'd be getting. For example, how would you use the Disney points if you didn't trade them? And what is the maintenance costs applicable to each: Disney and Marriott. So if you wanted a trade for say 7-days somewhere, you should be able to calculate the equivalent 'value' of what you'd be trading out and then decide which one to use.

So far we've only traded our Marriott out for other Marriotts. We do use the II GetAway program to get other resorts without ever trading. Often you can get a week for less than the maintenance costs would have been had you been an owner. For example, last month, using GetAway we got a 7-day, 1-B/R WDW area non-Disney timeshare for $249. (Special last minute rate reservation- they'd rather get something rather than have the unit sit empty for a week). Even normal GetAways go for only $600 or so for a week for a 2-B/R, and in many cases that's less than the maintenance cost a regular owner would be paying.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Caskbill
We own both DVC and Marriott also. If you want to trade to another Marriott property then your Marriott would make more sense.

However if you're looking at a non-Marriott trade, perhaps through II, then I'd look at the value of what you're trading for what you'd be getting. For example, how would you use the Disney points if you didn't trade them? And what is the maintenance costs applicable to each: Disney and Marriott. So if you wanted a trade for say 7-days somewhere, you should be able to calculate the equivalent 'value' of what you'd be trading out and then decide which one to use.

So far we've only traded our Marriott out for other Marriotts. We do use the II GetAway program to get other resorts without ever trading. Often you can get a week for less than the maintenance costs would have been had you been an owner. For example, last month, using GetAway we got a 7-day, 1-B/R WDW area non-Disney timeshare for $249. (Special last minute rate reservation- they'd rather get something rather than have the unit sit empty for a week). Even normal GetAways go for only $600 or so for a week for a 2-B/R, and in many cases that's less than the maintenance cost a regular owner would be paying.

Hope this helps.
Very interesting, Caskbill! Could you explain further by maybe starting a new thread about this?

We have a fixed week unit in RCI and DVC (finally sold Vistana!!), I never use RCI, only for extra vacation weeks, we own a 3 bedroom penthouse in the caribbean, they can never get us anything, sure they could get us a 1 br or maybe a 2 br, but there are hardly any 3 br's. So I loose out, when the time comes that I do decide to go elsewhere, I will try to just rent out my units and take the money and rent someone elses. there are much better deals out there than using RCI or II, unless you can really trade apples for apples, and not apples for lemons!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter