For those of you who use backpacks

Disney loving Iowan

DIS Veteran
My DD bought me a small DL back pack for Christmas so I wanna use it for our trip in April. I have never used a back pack there before. I'm wondering how safe they are as far as people being able to take stuff out of them since it is on your back. Do I need to be concerned about this?

I've brought a backpack on all 7 of my visits to WDW in the past two years, and in my experiences I have not once felt concerned with pickpocketing or theft in general. I don't think you need to be worried, but someone else may have a different experience.

I've also used backpacks frequently in WDW and never had an issue. However, I also travel light. We stay onsite and I keep most valuables locked in my room. I usually charge to my MB but I will carry a little cash and a credit card or gift card with me just in case there's an issue with the MB scanners.

We normally have a backpack with us and never a problem -- as long as you keep valuable things zipped up I don't think you have to worry about someone messing with it while you're walking along or standing in line (actually it's probably even less likely for someone to mess with it while you're standing in line these days due to the social distance markings on the ground).

Tips for getting thru security at each location with backpack?
Thanks. Might take one for warmth on NYEve...gloves scarfs, etc.
I had the back pack off and the main compartments unzipped. It was never really an issue. Im sure they have to take some out of line and do a extreme check, but i didnt have that happen to me.
I second this! Open all the zippers while waiting in line, so you're ready to hand it off. If you happen to have smaller bags inside, take those out and open those as well. It makes their job much easier, and you'll get through the line much faster.

Thanks. Might take one for warmth on NYEve...gloves scarfs, etc.
If you can avoid having smaller bags inside the backpack, that will save time in security. Like others have said, have all of the zippers opened and security will be able to breeze through inspection.

We always take a backpack and have never had a problem. If I have anything valuable, it’s zipped up in an inside compartment, so it’s not quick and easy for someone to take.

As far as security, like others have said, just have all compartments unzipped and it will go pretty quickly.

On my last couple of visits in July and October we didn't even take our backpack off going through security. You just wear it. However, take out umbrellas and metal bottles. I also took out my phone charger. These are all held out in front of you as you go through security. If something does go off you will have to move to the side and they will look in your bag. Once I started taking these out and holding them out front, I was able to just walk through.

It's been years since I was last in the World, so I can't comment on getting through security. However, I did take a backpack the last 3 times I was in the parks and never had a problem with pickpockets, and I had camera equipment in them. Just be conscious of your bag and make sure it is always zipped up and you should be fine.

I always keep valuables/credit cards in an inside zipped compartment so there's no way for someone to just reach in and grab anything. But I wouldn't worry about it at Disney.

Just echoing everyone else really. We always have backpacks (usually everyone in the party) and none have ever had an issue. Also agree with having all zippers open while waiting in line for security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!