Food and Wine

I think they waited until almost the last minute to post the menus last year (the Foodie Guide was posted on 2/28/18). Some info usually leaks out once the booth signage begin to go up, but that might not be until the week of the event.

Is that normally when they post prices for sip & savor passes? Trying to get my food budget finalized, but Disney makes it a little bit hard to do in advance!

I don't recall for sure, but I think that wasn't really announced in advance (i.e., first reports came in the day the event started). Assuming they're going to offer it again, I'd probably go with the most recent price and add a few dollars.
F&W 2018: $45 (8-tabs)
FotH 2018: $49 (8-tabs)
Lunar New Year 2019: $39 (6-tabs)

I don't recall for sure, but I think that wasn't really announced in advance (i.e., first reports came in the day the event started). Assuming they're going to offer it again, I'd probably go with the most recent price and add a few dollars.
F&W 2018: $45 (8-tabs)
FotH 2018: $49 (8-tabs)
Lunar New Year 2019: $39 (6-tabs)
Do you know if the $45 is a good value, or is it better to buy items individually?

Do you know if the $45 is a good value, or is it better to buy items individually?

The price was $49 with AP and I think $54 without AP for an 8-tab card at the 2018 Festival of Holidays booths. The way to figure out if it's worth it is to do the math. The non-AP price breaks down to $6.75 per item. If there are 8 things you want to eat at the booths that each cost $6.75 or more, then you will break even or save money. If there aren't 8 things that high priced that you want, but there are 6 or 7, you might still come out ok even when under-utilizing the value of the remaining tabs by using them on cheaper items. Most of the entree type items did range in price from $6.75-$8. I think there were even some $8.50 items this time and maybe one or two that were only $6. Desserts and non-alcoholic drinks are often cheaper, ranging from $4.75-$6.50 with the occasional outliers. The best way to decide since you are a big planner is to study the menus when they come out and figure out what you are likely to try.

If alcohol is a big deal for you, then there is no savings, since the tabs don't work for any wine or alcohol drinks. If you want to focus on desserts, the tabs don't save a lot there. It can work out really well if you have a group of people who want to taste a lot of different things.

We will have 4 adults and 6 kids. I'm thinking a pass or two would be a good deal for us - sampling a ton of entrees, and then letting the adults buy drinks/desserts as desired. My oldest daughter gets cranky with 'family style' sharing meals these days, but hopefully she'll either see the light or get her own thing.

I'm guessing we'll do lots of samples/bites and then circle back to get seconds of things people liked. It'll depend on how bad the lines are! I figure we buy a couple passes, and if we blow through them in one day and still want more, we can get more. Or just revisit any favorites later in the trip. I just want the menus so I can start daydreaming more about food :D

We will have 4 adults and 6 kids. I'm thinking a pass or two would be a good deal for us - sampling a ton of entrees, and then letting the adults buy drinks/desserts as desired. My oldest daughter gets cranky with 'family style' sharing meals these days, but hopefully she'll either see the light or get her own thing.
The pass is just math. Once menus are released and the pass price is released figure out the pass price per item, then go through the menu and decide how many items of that price and higher you anticipate ordering. If it comes out fairly close to the cost of the pass I would pass. It is a bit annoying to make sure you’re using the pass on specific items when you’re also managing ride FPs and corralling your party. (TBH considering the size of the party you’re dealing with the pass would have to save me a nice chunk of change to deal with the hassle of remember exactly what items it needs to be used on.)

And as others have said these samples are SMALL. There is no way you’re going to get a “ton” of sample bites for 10 people on 2 passes. Major IMHO but... despite their big prices 1 sample = 2 adults or 3 kids (unless the kids like the item and then all bets are off on the sharing thing). And even then you’re looking at about 2 bites a person/sample.

It is a bit annoying to make sure you’re using the pass on specific items when you’re also managing ride FPs and corralling your party. (TBH considering the size of the party you’re dealing with the pass would have to save me a nice chunk of change to deal with the hassle of remember exactly what items it needs to be used on.)

Good point - I tend to forget that individually some of these organizational things aren't a big deal, but start putting them all together on one person and it can cause a lot of stress. I'll be scoping out the menus either way, but might just leave the pass or not to pass decision to DH, and have him handle that side of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!