• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Flooded POTC boats

I know people aren't used to getting wet on POTC, but isn't there a "You may get wet" sign posted somewhere? I am pretty sure the one at DL has one (they have 2 drops there too). Honestly, that classifies it as a wet ride. I do not like the standing water issue though. Even on the big wet rides, the boats drain excess water so it is not covering your shoes. The boat I was in on Friday only had about half an inch, but still more than there should be.

I don't believe all CM are overloading the boats. We rode last week and it was just DH and I in our row, next to the last. We did have standing water in the boat but not an excessive amount and it was draining as soon as the boat came out of the water to load. By the time we were seated the water was gone. We did not get soaked. Some in the front got wet but not Kali wet. I loved the more vibrant characters/costumes and the smells added in.

I thought people started to get soaked last year when they stopped allowing people to use the back row of the boat (because someone lost their finger) and because of this, the boat was too heavily weighted at the front.

I know we got soaked several times last year riding it. And nobody was in the last row.
DH and I rode last week. I noticed that they are now seating people in the last row.

This issue has been around for a while, I believe before the refurb was announced. But then I think people started saying hopefully they will fix the water problem in the refurb. Which it seems they didn't.

From what I understand, it's pretty basic, they are putting too much weight in the boats and they could solve it by putting less people in the boat.

Last time we were on it, we asked for a middle row and we all stayed dry. I don't know about getting into a boat that has standing water in it. I think I would ask to wait for the next one depending on how much was in there.

What a shame they can't fix this problem, it's not rocket science.
Yeah, people assumed they'd do something about the water but I'm thinking Disney doesn't see it as a problem so there isn't something to be fixed.

I wonder if the standing water would cause any health issues if your walking around squishing it between your toes. I just bought $120 walking shoes due to a problem with my feet and soaking the leather and having them dry with dirty water on them was not part of my plans. Annoying to say the least. I would rather stand in line for an extra 5 min. And enjoy the experience.
A heath problem? No different than a rain shower

I don't believe all CM are overloading the boats. We rode last week and it was just DH and I in our row, next to the last. We did have standing water in the boat but not an excessive amount and it was draining as soon as the boat came out of the water to load. By the time we were seated the water was gone. We did not get soaked. Some in the front got wet but not Kali wet. I loved the more vibrant characters/costumes and the smells added in.

DH and I rode last week. I noticed that they are now seating people in the last row.

Yeah, people assumed they'd do something about the water but I'm thinking Disney doesn't see it as a problem so there isn't something to be fixed.

A heath problem? No different than a rain shower
The water in POTC can in no way be compared to a rain shower. :sick:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are different rules and regulations regarding water rides and rides that happen to be a boat going through water. In terms of water quality and testing and treatment and all that.

PotC was not designed to be a water ride like Kali or many of the rides at Universal. It's in the same category as IASW or Jungle Cruise I would think.

But maybe they are treating the water so it is not a health hazard since it really is going all over people sometimes now. Seems like people would have gotten sick already?

I don't think the water would make you sick unless you ingested a good amount of it. I think it is more of an issue of being uncomfortable. Nobody wants to put their feet in water, or get really wet on a ride where you don't expect it. Most people equate POTC with Malestrom, just a water ride with a drop where you may get a little splashed.

We rode POTC 3 times this past week, sat in the 3rd or 4th row each time (once I asked not to sit in first row and CM told us to take rows 3 and 4.) they didn't make us sit with other guests and we were a party of 5 with 3 adults and 2 kids. Boat bottom was always wet but no standing water. We didn't get anything more than a little spray or splash any of the times we rode. But I did notice the one time there were more adults, and larger adults, on one side of the boat it was totally leaning to that side which was uncomfortable in itself and had we been right on the side of the boat that was leaning we probably would have gotten wet.

All that said, we went to MK on party days and visited in the morning with low waits so maybe they are only overloading the boats when the line is very long...

Bottom line, ask to be seated a few rows back!!

Yes. We rode several times on 10/18 and 10/20 (when it was not broken down, which it was repeatedly both days, including a one-hour breakdown while loaded with guests during MNSSHP), and my shoes and socks were soaked, regardless of which row. The boat was at a distinct tilt, and that side of the boat had 3-4 inches of standing water. Anything on the floor would have been soaked.

But I did notice the one time there were more adults, and larger adults, on one side of the boat it was totally leaning to that side which was uncomfortable in itself and had we been right on the side of the boat that was leaning we probably would have gotten wet.

You know, I noticed our IASW boat tilted to the side with several heavy adults, but when our POTC boat was tilted, the weight seemed to be evenly distributed. Weird.

I rode 5 times last week on various days. We had 2 adults , 3 kids. They usually say us in one row. We had standing water every time. I had my kids sit "Criss cross" and they stayed dry. We did the same when we got the front row and stayed dry apart from a couple splashes. I had to keep my feet and my bag off the ground. But thankfully we did stay dry.

I don't think the water would make you sick unless you ingested a good amount of it. I think it is more of an issue of being uncomfortable. Nobody wants to put their feet in water, or get really wet on a ride where you don't expect it. Most people equate POTC with Malestrom, just a water ride with a drop where you may get a little splashed.
Not necessarily. If you have an open wound on your foot (like a blister) and walk around for hours in socks soaked with unsanitary water, you definitely could get an infection. THAT would be my concern, rather than some sort of illness.

Yes. We rode several times on 10/18 and 10/20 (when it was not broken down, which it was repeatedly both days, including a one-hour breakdown while loaded with guests during MNSSHP), and my shoes and socks were soaked, regardless of which row. The boat was at a distinct tilt, and that side of the boat had 3-4 inches of standing water. Anything on the floor would have been soaked.

We were at MNSSHP on 10/18. We rode (with a FP) first thing upon walking in, so about 4:00. Sounds like we got lucky in that it wasn't broken down when we rode

I'm wondering if some boats, regardless of how it's loaded, just sit lower?

I rode 5 times last week on various days. We had 2 adults , 3 kids. They usually say us in one row. We had standing water every time. I had my kids sit "Criss cross" and they stayed dry. We did the same when we got the front row and stayed dry apart from a couple splashes. I had to keep my feet and my bag off the ground. But thankfully we did stay dry.

Rode it at 6:55 10/20, with our "anytime FP" bcuz it was down all day.
CM asked wet or not wet, we said no, sat in 3-4 row.
Boat had about 1-2 inches of standing water, I too, had my DS3 sit criss-cross, and my DD and I kept our feet on the little ledge thingy on the bottom corner of the seat in front of us.
It was annoying, AND I swear our boat was tilting and I actually wondered what we'd all do if it tipped! :scared1:
I heard it broke down later that night too...

I rode it last week and the CM asked if I would have a problem getting wet. I said no, so she stuck me in the front row and I was all alone. The rest of the boat wasnt overloaded, but was full. I got soaked. lol

Awe man...I hate to hear that. I don't really care if I get wet, but putting my feet in water sounds lousy. I can't remember...can you put your feet somewhere to avoid the standing water? Like on Splash, if there is water in boat, you can put your feet higher up on sides. Can you do that on POTC? And, no, I can't criss cross apple sauce. o_O

rode it after the refurb...right side of the boat riders in the middle soaked!

A little splish splash is fine. But seriously getting drenched down my whole side & also being packed like a sardine with nowhere to escape really sucked.

Rode it at 6:55 10/20, with our "anytime FP" bcuz it was down all day.
CM asked wet or not wet, we said no, sat in 3-4 row.
Boat had about 1-2 inches of standing water, I too, had my DS3 sit criss-cross, and my DD and I kept our feet on the little ledge thingy on the bottom corner of the seat in front of us.
It was annoying, AND I swear our boat was tilting and I actually wondered what we'd all do if it tipped! :scared1:
I heard it broke down later that night too...

In the past, CMs never asked guests whether they wanted to be "wet or not wet." [At least you were warned.] The type of boat and the cramming of passengers is contributing to the problem of standing water in the boats, a situation which is unacceptable on a number of levels.

Looks like we'll have to save this for our last "make-up" park day. My girlfriend will be wearing a party dress on our two other MK days and I doubt she'll want to get it wet.

I don't bother riding POTC at WDW. I go to DLR plenty and the ride is much better there that I'd rather spend my queue time elsewhere.

Oh, and I don't think anyone lost a whole finger. IIRC, some kid pinched off a couple of fingertips by sticking his hand in the water and getting the tips trapped between the ride vehicle and the track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter