Flight schedule change on United

maggiew

DIS Veteran
I know that United has a policy that if they make a schedule change to your flight, you are able to basically pick any flight time you want for that day, provided there are seats available. I already did this on our departure flight for our cruise. They changed the flight time about 15 minutes earlier, but I was able to completely change the time from us arriving around midnight to us arriving at noon!

Anyway, the flight time for our return trip has changed. However its just the anticipated arrival time. My original booking confirmation says arriving in ORD at 8:20 am. Now on the itinerary online, it says the arrival time is 8:03 am. The departure time of 6 am remains the same. I REALLY would like to change this 6 am departure time (they were cheap tickets). Do you think that the change in anticipated arrival time is enough for them to let me change the entire flight?? I don't want to appear too greedy.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Maggie

I work for American Airlines, so I can only speak for them. They would not allow you to make a change for that reason.

Hi Maggie,
As a travel agent, I can tell you that United won't let you make a change on that flight without charging you a fee for it. Their schedule change was very minor (adding 17 minutes to the flight time), more in order to meet their on-time requirements I'm sure.

I worked for a commuter airline and as a travel agent for many years. It appears that the schedule change actually shortened your flight time, probably due to equipment change or different routing or reworking of the the schedule. Since getting in early by a few minutes is actually a good thing, I would probably say they aren't going to allow you to change for that reason. I would never totally change anyone's flight for even a 15 minute sched change, unless they were making a connection that would then be illegal connecting time. So in my past professional opinion, you did pretty well getting your other flight changed! I am actually quite surprised that UAL allows such drastic flight changes for minor adjustments in time. IMO that's a poor practice, and something that needs to be looked at on more of a individual as needed basis. Airlines have minor schedule changes very frequently, and I think they have to draw the line somewhere or else they all will be out of business. :rolleyes:

I work for American Airlines, so I can only speak for them. They would not allow you to make a change for that reason.

ElizK,

May I hijack this thread and ask you a question?

We don't fly AA very often because they don't have a big presence at our local airport, but my son flew them to Hawaii last year. We are scheduled to fly them to Manchester England from Atlanta (via Chicago) next month, and my son is fretting about it. He said they were offered no food at all going to Hawaii and back.

Can you tell me anything that will reassure him that we'll get great service flying overseas? I think I recall that a meal was listed on our itinerary both ways.

Thanks,

Sheila

ElizK,

May I hijack this thread and ask you a question?

We don't fly AA very often because they don't have a big presence at our local airport, but my son flew them to Hawaii last year. We are scheduled to fly them to Manchester England from Atlanta (via Chicago) next month, and my son is fretting about it. He said they were offered no food at all going to Hawaii and back.

Can you tell me anything that will reassure him that we'll get great service flying overseas? I think I recall that a meal was listed on our itinerary both ways.

Thanks,

Sheila

I just checked www.aa.com and it shows meal service for the international portion of the trip. There is also food for purchase on the Chicago - Atlanta portion. Just out of curiosity I checked our flights Hawai... We offer food for purchase only (no free/included service). You should be good to go, though.

I have a similar problem with United. My flight was going to arrive at 11:58pm, which is late and I was not happy with it, I will be dragging 2 kids with me and it will be a very long day with a layover in denver. We are flying LAX- DEN- MCO. I bought these tickets on priceline "by accident". I had bought priceline tickets in 2003 and back then there were more screens where you could select options, this time they didn't and I purchased 3 tickets, it was also late at night and I thought my price was too low and would not be accepted so I could see what options you could select :confused3 . I wish I would have put an even lower price! I checked my flight times and the flight is now arriving at 12:32am instead of 11:58. I know it is not a huge time difference but add in debarking from plane, getting luggage, hotel etc and it will be VERY late. I called priceline and they offered to cancel my tickets, which was a surprise, but will charge me $100 per ticket, which is ridiculous. I would be happy with changing the time so we arrive earlier. I had not called UA yet as I was told they won't do anything for priceline customers. Priceline said UA made a mistake in their schedules and priceline guarantees no flight will arrive after 12:30am. My flight from MCO leaves at 8am. I feel as if priceline picked the worst times. I was hoping we would have a late departure flight to enjoy our last day instead of having to be at the airport at 6am. :sad2: Does anyone have any advice??

I have a similar problem with United. My flight was going to arrive at 11:58pm, which is late and I was not happy with it, I will be dragging 2 kids with me and it will be a very long day with a layover in denver. We are flying LAX- DEN- MCO. I bought these tickets on priceline "by accident". I had bought priceline tickets in 2003 and back then there were more screens where you could select options, this time they didn't and I purchased 3 tickets, it was also late at night and I thought my price was too low and would not be accepted so I could see what options you could select :confused3 . I wish I would have put an even lower price! I checked my flight times and the flight is now arriving at 12:32am instead of 11:58. I know it is not a huge time difference but add in debarking from plane, getting luggage, hotel etc and it will be VERY late. I called priceline and they offered to cancel my tickets, which was a surprise, but will charge me $100 per ticket, which is ridiculous. I would be happy with changing the time so we arrive earlier. I had not called UA yet as I was told they won't do anything for priceline customers. Priceline said UA made a mistake in their schedules and priceline guarantees no flight will arrive after 12:30am. My flight from MCO leaves at 8am. I feel as if priceline picked the worst times. I was hoping we would have a late departure flight to enjoy our last day instead of having to be at the airport at 6am. :sad2: Does anyone have any advice??

So technically your flight is now arriving the next day? I'd bet if you called UA, they'd maybe work with you to change to another flight.

Kimya

So technically your flight is now arriving the next day? I'd bet if you called UA, they'd maybe work with you to change to another flight.

Kimya

Yes, it even states that on their website but priceline guarantees no flights will arrive later than 12:30am unless you agree to a next day arrival. Someone told me if I call UA and try to change it and they say No it will make it even more of a NO when we check in. I was wondering if anyone has ever succeeded in changing a priceline flight. Maybe I should start a new thread so as not to highjack this one!:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter