Flexible refund policy for covid?

I don't think so.
Your posts are all showing, no need to repeat. I understand your feelings on the matter. Neither you nor I nor anyone else on the DISboards can impact DCL policy by arguing it here. DCL will end that policy when they wish and as they wish. If you are outside of the penalty phase, you may cancel anyway.

If you are really concerned about potentially needing to cancel next summer within 2 weeks of your cruise, I highly recommend buying 3rd party travel insurance. Even DCL's temporary policy will not help with airfare, hotels, or other expenses related to your travels -- only the cruise fare.

What did DCL do in the past if you had the flu before your trip?
Pre-covid if you had to cancel due to illness right before your cruise, you submitted it through travel insurance.

What happened though if you showed up and answered you had flu like symptoms so you were denied boarding?
If you are denied boarding at the port by Disney, Disney will offer a Denied Boarding Voucher for a future cruise OR a full refund (although you sometimes have to specifically ask if you want to refund instead of the voucher).

What happened though if you showed up and answered you had flu like symptoms so you were denied boarding?
Pre-Covid? To my knowledge you would need to submit it to insurance, which typically required a doctor’s note. Whether DCL may have worked with some individuals — maybe, but there was no “voucher” or credit given pre-Covid if you were ill on embarkation day. A rather unlikely or rare scenario. People either lied on the health form (and boarded sick) or knew they’d be denied boarding and didn’t go to port.

If you are denied boarding at the port by Disney, Disney will offer a Denied Boarding Voucher for a future cruise OR a full refund (although you sometimes have to specifically ask if you want to refund instead of the voucher).
That is the current Covid policy. I don’t know if that was in place pre-Covid if someone actually showed up at port and answered the health questionnaire honestly to declare fever and vomiting.

That is the current Covid policy. I don’t know if that was in place pre-Covid if someone actually showed up at port and answered the health questionnaire honestly to declare fever and vomiting.
Does todays announcement extend the 14 day flexible extension policy until the end of January 2023?

Does todays announcement extend the 14 day flexible extension policy until the end of January 2023?
I don't believe today's announcement about dropping the vaccination requirement changes any of the policies discussed in this thread. It does offer a special no-penalty cancellation period for the next two weeks (between now and Oct. 11th) if booked on the Wonder, Dream, Fantasy or Wish for a cruise departing Oct. 14th thru Jan. 31st.

The "Extended Final Payment" and "Relaxed Cancellation Fee Schedule" policies were both previously extended to March 31, 2023.
The "Flexible Refund Policy" has never had a specified end-date.
The "Cruise Date Flexibility" policy expires this Friday, Sept. 30, 2022.

Sorry to rehash yet again but before I call DCL to ask.... if someone had to cancel a Magic sailing out of NY under a *GT rate for Covid reasons is the 14 day covid cancellation policy in effect? Thanks.

MJ

Sorry to rehash yet again but before I call DCL to ask.... if someone had to cancel a Magic sailing out of NY under a *GT rate for Covid reasons is the 14 day covid cancellation policy in effect? Thanks.

MJ
Yes, for as long as the flexible refund policy exists, it applies to all sailings including GT bookings. I know from experience.

Last edited:
I cruise in January. I know we cannot predict the future, but FOR NOW, is the 14 day covid cancellation policy still in effect? And is that policy the "Flexible Refund Policy"? Read upthread but just looking for clarification. Thank you.

I cruise in January. I know we cannot predict the future, but FOR NOW, is the 14 day covid cancellation policy still in effect? And is that policy the "Flexible Refund Policy"? Read upthread but just looking for clarification. Thank you.
The policy is still listed on their website under "temporary policies". As they are no longer requiring vaccination and testing, I would guess this policy will go away in the near future.

The policy is still listed on their website under "temporary policies". As they are no longer requiring vaccination and testing, I would guess this policy will go away in the near future.
It already did.... 11/14/2022 was the last day, after that the standard cancellation policies went back into effect.

It already did.... 11/14/2022 was the last day, after that the standard cancellation policies went back into effect.
So, since it is still listed today, if you booked a cruise today would you be under the temporary policy or the standard policy?

I don't believe that's accurate. That is related to the special free cancellation period DCL offered for the recent change in vaccination policy, but it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the "Flexible Refund Policy."

Yes, that is the name of the policy and it is still listed on the website. No end date noted, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone by the end of March -- which is when the Extended Final Payment and Relaxed Cancellation Fee policies both end. It could disappear sooner than that...or later. I strongly suggest having travel insurance if there are any concerns your party may need to cancel (for illness or other reasons).

No end date noted, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone by the end of March --

Well lanejudy you nailed it I just had a chat with DCL and was told that Flexible Refund Policy is over after end of March 2023. So even if you booked a November 2023 cruise when that policy was advertised it will no longer be covered under that policy. "All cruises that depart between now and the end of March 2023 will be covered over the temporary flexible refund policy." But after that it is over.

I just had a chat with DCL and was told that Flexible Refund Policy is over after end of March 2023.
Just to note…The website doesn’t list an end date (yet), so I don’t take phone CM as gospel until it’s confirmed on the website.

The Flexible Refund Policy is still in effect. I had to use the policy just a few days ago to cancel my Thanksgiving cruise due to Covid symptoms. I am getting a full refund.

Too bad they cannot keep this for any sickness it would be nice to see some of these Covid era created policies stay permanent.

Same with mustard drills was so nice when could do in the app now we just did Wish and they are back to taking an hour of your 1st day cramming you shoulder to shoulder with folks for safety drill 😐

I would love to know the breakdown on how the flexible refund policy effects their profitability if it is a big negative for them or negligible. Was a great feature for guests and onboard guest safety from sickness.

Also noticed hand sanitizer stations around the ship are now mostly gone. Would have been very beneficial to have kept these.

Too bad they cannot keep this for any sickness it would be nice to see some of these Covid era created policies stay permanent.

Same with mustard drills was so nice when could do in the app now we just did Wish and they are back to taking an hour of your 1st day cramming you shoulder to shoulder with folks for safety drill 😐

I would love to know the breakdown on how the flexible refund policy effects their profitability if it is a big negative for them or negligible. Was a great feature for guests and onboard guest safety from sickness.

Also noticed hand sanitizer stations around the ship are now mostly gone. Would have been very beneficial to have kept these.
To be fair this is what you pay for insurance for. Pre-covid this is exactly what would be covered its just that the cruise line itself has been footing the bill for it whereas your insurance company would normally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter