First trip need advice on rest room etiquette for DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understand women feeling uncomfortable about young boys in the Ladies Restrooms. Womens Restrooms have cubicles, it's not like anyone can see anything. This is very different to mens rooms.

But its not just grown women using the restroom, there are the girls in there that need to be considered. And yes there are cubicles, but we all know they are not completely sealed off, there is an area where one could peek in if one was so inclined. Personally, I wouldn't care if some 9 year old boy was trying to catch a glimpse (and yes 9 year olds are old enough to want to) but my 15 year old dd would be mortified.
Also, it isn't just about seeing things, there are things to hear (obvious bathroom sounds, wrappers being opened, etc) that a young girl may not be comfortable with a boy around her age hearing her do.
I can totally understand some women of any age not being comfortable with that, and since the bathroom is meant for women, their needs/wants should come before a scared parent of a male. Those mom's and their dses have other options, those girls don't.

As a man, I no longer take my 7 y/o daughter into the mens room with me. She can negotiate a bathroom by herself while I wait outside. Conversely though, I probably wouldn't leave her alone outside the BR if I had to go. I'd have her go in with me and use a stall with a door. In the OP's situation she can leave DS with DD, so I see no issues here.

There are NO family restrooms at Disney. They are handicapped companion restrooms and they are for those who NEED assistance in the bathroom. They are few and far between and if you are concerned about etiquette, it is beyond rude to ever use those restrooms unless your child actually needs a large room for you to assist him in his toilet needs. Which obviously he doesn't.

I have to disagree. Yes, they are labeled "companion restrooms" not "family restrooms" but that is semantics. Yes, there are relatively few of them and not at every restroom location. Yes they are larger in size and handicapped accessible, but there is no restriction on who may use them. If a parent needs to take a child into the restroom, this is a perfectly acceptable use.

However, as mentioned there aren't many of these so they are harder to locate and you likely would pass regular restrooms to find one. And there could be a longer wait because the person(s) using it might need to take some extra time, and there could be a line.

I agree that OPs son is likely to be just fine in the regular men's room and that is likely to be a quicker solution.

Guess I'm the minority but my child's safety trumps a strangers comfort every time. If YOU aren't ok with letting your son go alone, don't worry about what others think. That's YOUR child and YOU are responsible if anything happens to him. Not the ladies that are worried a boy might see their lady bits. Please, we're all human and the kid is gonna see it sometime. It's just body parts.

While it wouldn't be my personal choice, I wouldn't care if you brought your son in to the bathroom. I'm also fine in unisex bathrooms.

Guess I'm the minority but my child's safety trumps a strangers comfort every time. If YOU aren't ok with letting your son go alone, don't worry about what others think. That's YOUR child and YOU are responsible if anything happens to him. Not the ladies that are worried a boy might see their lady bits. Please, we're all human and the kid is gonna see it sometime. It's just body parts.

A false sense of security(which is exactly what taking your child into the bathroom with you creates) is not more important than someone else's right to comfort. If your child is in the bathroom, but not the stall, with you they are no safer than standing outside the door or in the men's restroom.

So if your child's safety trumps the women in the restroom I assume you are aware of the statistics of child molestation and abduction from WDW restrooms.

Sorry but an irrational fear based purely on your feelings of safety don't trump the feelings of the women who are using the bathroom designated for them.

Well, we do have a lot of freaks and not enough circuses. We need to teach stranger danger and independance.

The vast majority of kidnappings and molestations occur by someone known to the victim- either a family member or someone the victim spends much time with (teacher, coach, pastor, etc). Child snatching by strangers are rare.

I have to disagree. Yes, they are labeled "companion restrooms" not "family restrooms" but that is semantics. Yes, there are relatively few of them and not at every restroom location. Yes they are larger in size and handicapped accessible, but there is no restriction on who may use them. If a parent needs to take a child into the restroom, this is a perfectly acceptable use.

And they're not "family restrooms". Per the WDW website

Walt Disney World said:
Restrooms are available throughout the Walt Disney World Resort.
Companion – assisted restroom facilities are available in addition to facilities designed for access by Guests with mobility disabilities. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/restrooms/

It's not semantics.

For many visitors, their ONLY option is the companion assisted restroom because of their physical or intellectual needs. Each park only has a handful of companion restrooms (5 or 6) and for those who can only use these facilities, a long wait for the restroom can result in personal hygiene accidents.

If you're able bodied, please be considerate and use one of the dozens of other restrooms available to you!

Many people have said their son would be upset if they tried to take them into the ladies room- but what if they weren't? And I honestly don't see the big deal! There are cubicles ( as people have said) in the ladies room, in the men's room they are standing-exposed-beside others. For those who asked, by son hadn't noticed the poop before he started...and it was mobbed in there. It wasn't in another cubicle, like in the ladies room when you can start to walk in, then back out! ....( and how on earth someone did that is beyond me!).
It's amazing to me how a little boy who is in his own cubicle and then washing his hands would be a problem for somebody!

But its not just grown women using the restroom, there are the girls in there that need to be considered. And yes there are cubicles, but we all know they are not completely sealed off, there is an area where one could peek in if one was so inclined. Personally, I wouldn't care if some 9 year old boy was trying to catch a glimpse (and yes 9 year olds are old enough to want to) but my 15 year old dd would be mortified.
Also, it isn't just about seeing things, there are things to hear (obvious bathroom sounds, wrappers being opened, etc) that a young girl may not be comfortable with a boy around her age hearing her do.
I can totally understand some women of any age not being comfortable with that, and since the bathroom is meant for women, their needs/wants should come before a scared parent of a male. Those mom's and their dses have other options, those girls don't.

Sorry but needs/wants NEVER should come before safety. Feeling embarrassed that a boy might hear a sanitary napkin wrapped opening is absolutely nothing compared to the safety of another child. I'm not suggesting that WDW isn't safe (although no one should assume it's entirely just because it's WDW - it isn't) However safety should trump a little embarrassment.

Sorry but needs/wants NEVER should come before safety. Feeling embarrassed that a boy might hear a sanitary napkin wrapped opening is absolutely nothing compared to the safety of another child. I'm not suggesting that WDW isn't safe (although no one should assume it's entirely just because it's WDW - it isn't) However safety should trump a little embarrassment.

So what exactly is unsafe about the male restroom?

While I don't have sons, I certainly understand your concern. As another poster stated, anything can happen anywhere but I truly think at Disney your son will be very safe. If you are nervous, have him wait until you can sit outside and wait for him to come out. That way, if it is taking too long you can either call in or ask a random father who is going in to check on him. I do think he is old enough that he knows to react or scream if there were an issue. But truthfully, this is a family place and people will look out for one another. Just instruct him on what you expect him to do (get in and out quickly) and what to do if someone was to approach him. These bathrooms are so frequented that it is not like going into some desolate area where he wouldn't have protection.

May I just suggest that he let you know if he is going in there for the purpose so a quick stop or a more extended stay (if you know what I mean;) ). What you don't need is to think he should be coming out very quickly and 10 minutes later, he is still in there. I think with communication and instruction your son will be just fine.

This is from a mom who has traveled to Disney for many years with two chidlren and has at times, let them go in without me. I just wait outside. They will be fine!!

So if your child's safety trumps the women in the restroom I assume you are aware of the statistics of child molestation and abduction from WDW restrooms.

Sorry but an irrational fear based purely on your feelings of safety don't trump the feelings of the women who are using the bathroom designated for them.

Well I guess you and I will agree to disagree on that one. Since there are no laws or rules regarding this issue ( if there were, all these posts about it would be moot) I will continue to do what I think is best to ensure my children's safety and I hope OP does the same.

Mothers have been helping their young sons dress and use the restroom for eons and its really not nearly as big of a deal as you're making it. Basically, you're saying all pre-adolescent boys are perverts and just will look no matter what. Don't flatter yourself. I doubt they want to see middle aged, pudgy women going pee pee. :rolleyes

Many people have said their son would be upset if they tried to take them into the ladies room- but what if they weren't? And I honestly don't see the big deal! There are cubicles ( as people have said) in the ladies room, in the men's room they are standing-exposed-beside others. For those who asked, by son hadn't noticed the poop before he started...and it was mobbed in there. It wasn't in another cubicle, like in the ladies room when you can start to walk in, then back out! ....( and how on earth someone did that is beyond me!).
It's amazing to me how a little boy who is in his own cubicle and then washing his hands would be a problem for somebody!

It's not a problem for LITTLE boys. My 8yr old is 5'1", that's just as tall as many grown women! He may be my little boy in my heart but he's not a baby anymore and has no need of a bodyguard while peeing at Disney. ;)

I don't think anyone's talking about embarrassment. It's not appropriate for a 3rd or 4th grade child to be in the restroom that is not labeled for their gender. Why should a female child be exposed to a 9 or 10 year old male in the womens' room, who could be peeping at her?

Well I guess you and I will agree to disagree on that one. Since there are no laws or rules regarding this issue ( if there were, all these posts about it would be moot) I will continue to do what I think is best to ensure my children's safety and I hope OP does the same.

Mothers have been helping their young sons dress and use the restroom for eons and its really not nearly as big of a deal as you're making it. Basically, you're saying all pre-adolescent boys are perverts and just will look no matter what. Don't flatter yourself. I doubt they want to see middle aged, pudgy women going pee pee. :rolleyes

I guess that means you're saying all men are child molesters since you won't let your son use the restroom that is designated for his gender. And by the way, Disney does have a rule, the official cutoff age for using opposite gender restrooms is 10.

Personally as a Mom of a DD9 I would not care if a young boy 9 or older came into the ladies room, what would be the problem. But I expect he would probably be more comfortable in the men's room. I know my nephew who is 8 would absolutely refuse to enter a women's washroom :goodvibes When DD was around 6 DH said no more trips to the men's room. ;) But it's different I guess because of the urinals:lmao: If you tell him to wait right outside the washrooms when he's done for the rest of you I'm sure he'll be fine. But I am paranoid and over protective and don't care what other people think. I don't let DD out of my sight, even at Disney :)

I guess that means you're saying all men are child molesters since you won't let your son use the restroom that is designated for his gender. And by the way, Disney does have a rule, the official cutoff age for using opposite gender restrooms is 10.

Well then this entire post is pointless as OP's son is only 9 and is allowed to accompany her to the restrooms. There. Argument over and information given. The conversation should be done now.

As for what I do with my own son (who is only 7) I don't trust HIM alone in a men's room. He loves to play in the water as he washes up (gets in trouble for it at school all the time) and my DH has caught him playing with the urinal cakes before. Ewww! So you see, I'm really concerned with his health, the comfort of the other men who will have to deal with MY son, and the feelings of the poor people that have to clean those restrooms. Oh and there are some nasty men out there and since my son was molested when he was four, I will continue to do what I feel is safe for him. He goes with me. Period.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies, I am glad I asked as it is interesting to see everyone's opinion!
I am starting to see that my son has in terms of public toilets lead a sheltered life :)
I appreciate he has to learn so maybe this holiday will be good learning curve for him though in all honesty there will be some places I am not going to let him go it alone, Chicago Airport where we change flights is one of those! :):)

On a funny note I have posted a few questions over the past few weeks and this has received the most replies!

Well then this entire post is pointless as OP's son is only 9 and is allowed to accompany her to the restrooms. There. Argument over and information given. The conversation should be done now.

The OP didn't ask what Disney allowed, she asked what people thought about it. I was rebutting your statement that Disney has no rule about this situation, not supporting the rule in question. I think the maximum age is too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter