First time in US with kids and first vacation as single parent

RACHEL_GB

Mouseketeer
Hello - we’ve been on two Disney Cruises before (2016 & 2017 both Europe) and in 54 days I am taking my kids (16 & 12) on the Eastern Caribbean route on the Fantasy. We had to move this twice due to firstly covid and then the timing of the UK vaccine rollout for the kids. They’ve never been outside of Europe before, I have only been to the US for work, so we are all extremely excited that it’s finally here but I must say as it gets closer I am starting to get a bit anxious. We chose Disney because it’s our first family holiday as a threesome and it’s reassuring to have something fairly familiar on the cards.

I’ve booked the car rental (MCO to PC to drop off on the morning of the cruise). We are staying for 4 nights before the cruise in Cocoa Beach, I have arranged a trip to the KSC for the middle day - just wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas that might make my life easier as the only adult, something that I might not have thought of? Thanks in advance! I guess the nerves are normal :thanks:

First, this should be a great introduction to this life experience! The kids aren’t little. You aren’t dealing with big metro areas, and you have a cruise history. And you have been to the US. You are definitely ahead of the game.

Last edited:
I think driving is the biggest issue. There are toll roads between MCO and Cocoa Beach. An Aussie tried to figure a way to avoid the high daily charge on the rental account; it came down to routing around the toll roads. The tolls aren’t high - it’s just that they seem to be switching to a system where they scan a transponder in your car. Currently, the toll looks to be <$2 from airport to Cocoa Beach. In the past, you could pay that with cash.

Someone here might have a work-around. Or you bite the bullet and just pay more.

Otherwise, the drive is a straight shot and then Cocoa Beach is an easy-going beach town, basically.

Port Canaveral is a very easy cruise port. The car rental shuttle will drop you off at the ship. This is not a “bustling” port. And you are not in an industrial area.

It is going to be hot. Buy some reef-friendly sunscreen in Cocoa Beach. Wal-Mart, Publix grocery, Walgreen’s or CVS pharmacy. Wal-Mart is probably best price.

I think driving is the biggest issue. There are toll roads between MCO and Cocoa Beach. An Aussie tried to figure a way to avoid the high daily charge on the rental account; it came down to routing around the toll roads. The tolls aren’t high - it’s just that they seem to be switching to a system where they scan a transponder in your car. Currently, the toll looks to be <$2 from airport to Cocoa Beach. In the past, you could pay that with cash.

Someone here might have a work-around. Or you bite the bullet and just pay more.

Otherwise, the drive is a straight shot and then Cocoa Beach is an easy-going beach town, basically.

Port Canaveral is a very easy cruise port. The car rental shuttle will drop you off at the ship. This is not a “bustling” port. And you are not in an industrial area.
Thank you for the reassurance and yes I think driving is the bit I’m most anxious about actually and hadn’t even thought about tolls - I’ll do some research so thanks for mentioning - I’ve only driven on right side once before and that was Iceland - nobody else on the road so not really the same!

Thank you for the reassurance and yes I think driving is the bit I’m most anxious about actually and hadn’t even thought about tolls - I’ll do some research so thanks for mentioning - I’ve only driven on right side once before and that was Iceland - nobody else on the road so not really the same!
Here's the link for the Beach Line 528 from the airport to RT 1 which takes you to Cocoa. It shows that you can pay cash and it looks like $1.25 and $1.50 respectively. You get on at 436 OIA and get off on RT 1 going east. When you leave the airport be sure you take the North Exit..

https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/expressways/528/

hadn’t even thought about tolls

It shows that you can pay cash and it looks like $1.25 and $1.50 respectively.

Also be aware that some locations might not have a toll collector. I ran into that around Orlando, and didn't have enough coins left. I don't know that the car rental place ever dinged me or not, but it was annoying to suddenly be at a location with no actual person. Since then I've always brought my EZ Pass but recognize that isn't an option for you. So, lots of quarters!

I travel alone with my son (now 8) from time to time and I guess the only other thing I'd flag is if your children have different last names - make sure you have birth certificates or some other documentation. I got zinged by an over-zealous CBP agent on one return cruise because we have different last names. Never had any issues any other time, so I don't know what the issue was, but just a heads up that it could happen.

American drivers don’t always merge well - and or let you in. You can never be sure. If they look like they are squeezing you out, they might be. Don't trust that everyone follows the signs.

I guess you have gotten your ESTA application done already? For online check in you need a screen shot of the webpage that shows the details of your ESTA when you pull it up on the website. You should also bring a print out if that page as they often want to see it at the port (don’t ask me why as you are already in the USA when at the port…).

I guess you have gotten your ESTA application done already? For online check in you need a screen shot of the webpage that shows the details of your ESTA when you pull it up on the website. You should also bring a print out if that page as they often want to see it at the port (don’t ask me why as you are already in the USA when at the port…).
I will print them out, I think I’m going to print EVERYTHING to be be on the safe side. Thanks!

There is a multi day pass for Kennedy Space Center. When you mention a mid afternoon trip, I’m concerned you haven’t left yourself enough time to explore the Space Center and all they have to offer. It’s nice to sit in the air condition, theaters and rest in between looking at the outdoor exhibits. It’s not riveting theater, but it absolutely keep you entertained while you cool down in the air conditioning.
Don’t forget to pick up some overpriced astronaut food in the sealed bags at the gift shop. It also might be a fun gift to take home for someone that didn’t come with.
There’s also an overpriced sort of the bones/dinosaur museum, not far from RonJons. There’s a new Wizard of Oz museum that I haven’t gone in so you’d have to look at Tripadvisor to make your evaluation if you actually choose to visit.
I should mention RonJon is a huge surfing, sun fun, purveyor of clothing and beach entertainment. They have good prices lots of quality gift shop items.
I would also have lunch or dinner at the port and watch the ships go bye between three and 5 o’clock. Best lobster bisque can be found at one of the restaurants there. Otherwise, all the restaurants are good. If you really want the lobster bisque, they’ll let me know I’ll find out which one of the three it is.

Get prepared to watch your kids’ surprise when they see how big drinks are served - and how much ice is in the cup. (It’s not Disney cruise small cups!)

As somebody familiar with driving in europe ( I live here) and being American ( done that there too) my main advice is defensive driving. Americans ( American here so I know) do not follow the slow drivers stay in right line and only use left only to pass ( in your case the opposite) Here cars will weave in and out of both lanes. Trucks will pass you on the right ( left for british reference) lane and cut you off etc. ex a 3 lane highway you can be in the middle land and a truck will pass you on the left and another car will pass you on the right and they will both cut you off and switch lanes ahead of you. Another shocker is look out for debris on the highways.. you will see so many tire pieces from truck blow outs its crazy.. Dont see that in europe, maybe its the heat. Trucks are also faster in the US. They will pass you going up a hill with speeds of 120 KM- so dont think you got the trucks beat

and watch the speed! Orlando to ports are speed traps.

If you're being passed by anyone in the right lane, you need to move over. And the speed limit being policed isn't a speed trap; it's ensuring people follow the law.

I don't know a lot about older kids but I took my 3yo daughter on our first WDW vacation a few months after me and her dad separated and she did miss him which is unusual for her during the trip but he sent a video message and it made her feel better.

I plan on taking a Disney cruise with her (will be 4yo by then) and my baby (1yo) and Im going to ask their dad to pre-record and send some video messages before we go just in case.

Personally I was worried that seeing all the other families would make me sad or her sad but it wasn't an issue at all. It was just fun and magical. And now that I'm thinking about it, it was kind of healing experience.

I hope you have so much fun! (and then write a trip report. 😂)

As somebody familiar with driving in europe ( I live here) and being American ( done that there too) my main advice is defensive driving. Americans ( American here so I know) do not follow the slow drivers stay in right line and only use left only to pass ( in your case the opposite) Here cars will weave in and out of both lanes. Trucks will pass you on the right ( left for british reference) lane and cut you off etc. ex a 3 lane highway you can be in the middle land and a truck will pass you on the left and another car will pass you on the right and they will both cut you off and switch lanes ahead of you. Another shocker is look out for debris on the highways.. you will see so many tire pieces from truck blow outs its crazy.. Dont see that in europe, maybe its the heat. Trucks are also faster in the US. They will pass you going up a hill with speeds of 120 KM- so dont think you got the trucks beat

and watch the speed! Orlando to ports are speed traps.
Good to know - thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter