• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time in US with kids and first vacation as single parent

I don't know a lot about older kids but I took my 3yo daughter on our first WDW vacation a few months after me and her dad separated and she did miss him which is unusual for her during the trip but he sent a video message and it made her feel better.

I plan on taking a Disney cruise with her (will be 4yo by then) and my baby (1yo) and Im going to ask their dad to pre-record and send some video messages before we go just in case.

Personally I was worried that seeing all the other families would make me sad or her sad but it wasn't an issue at all. It was just fun and magical. And now that I'm thinking about it, it was kind of healing experience.

I hope you have so much fun! (and then write a trip report. 😂)
Thank you for sharing your experience. As I get closer I do worry a little that they will feel the difference with us as a 3 rather than a 4, but I hope because it’s not an exact repeat of what we did before, and it’s been a while, that it will just be something nice before my daughter doesn’t want to be with us any more! I think it will be our last big family vacation together because she only just tolerates me and her little brother now 😂

I will print them out, I think I’m going to print EVERYTHING to be be on the safe side. Thanks!
you kinda of have to as sometimes places wants to see that. example checking into the cruise they have been asked to see it. immigration has it in their systems.

You could let them choose the activities for the family? My daughter cruises with me constantly now. Her “worst” trip was when we had to do things that grandma and grandpa would want to do instead of her interests. She said it was no fun that time.
She has cruised at age 11,14, 16, 18, 21, 22, 23 and December when she is 24. Age 14 was not her fave.
Ask that they each pick 3 see if you can do them all. Enjoy their youthful activities they choose because next time you come with they will be too old for what they do now. You don’t think this age will go fast but it really really does. They will never avoid these trips if they feel you do their things as a family. I once traveled with my daughters best friend and her mom. It was a blast and we shared a room too! The room was just a place to sleep and change clothes anyway.

This is not Disney cruise specific but my parents were divorced and I seem to recall my mom (American) had to have some sort of notarized letter from my dad when we traveled internationally—i guess confirming she wasn’t kidnapping us!?!?. I recommend checking to ensure you don’t need anything like that (or just having one just in case) to enter/exit the US and your home country.

This is not Disney cruise specific but my parents were divorced and I seem to recall my mom (American) had to have some sort of notarized letter from my dad when we traveled internationally—i guess confirming she wasn’t kidnapping us!?!?. I recommend checking to ensure you don’t need anything like that (or just having one just in case) to enter/exit the US and your home country.
Thank you - I hadn’t realise until about a week ago that this might be necessary, I’ll ask my ex husband to write something. I’ve heard people sometimes having trouble if the family have different surnames so it had never occurred to me that I would need something as I kept my married name for this kind of situation but I will make sure I have it in my stack of papers!

Thank you - I hadn’t realise until about a week ago that this might be necessary, I’ll ask my ex husband to write something. I’ve heard people sometimes having trouble if the family have different surnames so it had never occurred to me that I would need something as I kept my married name for this kind of situation but I will make sure I have it in my stack of papers!
While I would probably have this if you can easily get it, I've been traveling with my son (now 15) since he was 3 with the same letter and have never been asked about it.

HOWEVER, what is more likely is the border agents talking to your children and asking them questions (for example, name, who is this you're traveling with, even what are you looking forward to most on your trip). Still rare (and it's happened to me driving at the US/Canada border more than flying) but my son tends to freeze when someone with authority speaks to him unexpectedly so you might want to prepare the kids.

While I would probably have this if you can easily get it, I've been traveling with my son (now 15) since he was 3 with the same letter and have never been asked about it.

HOWEVER, what is more likely is the border agents talking to your children and asking them questions (for example, name, who is this you're traveling with, even what are you looking forward to most on your trip). Still rare (and it's happened to me driving at the US/Canada border more than flying) but my son tends to freeze when someone with authority speaks to him unexpectedly so you might want to prepare the kids.
Good tip! My son barely spoke to the gym instructor last night who was doing his induction because he’s so shy, I’m going to have to make sure he knows to speak up and not be worried

I think driving is the biggest issue. There are toll roads between MCO and Cocoa Beach. An Aussie tried to figure a way to avoid the high daily charge on the rental account; it came down to routing around the toll roads. The tolls aren’t high - it’s just that they seem to be switching to a system where they scan a transponder in your car. Currently, the toll looks to be <$2 from airport to Cocoa Beach. In the past, you could pay that with cash.

Someone here might have a work-around. Or you bite the bullet and just pay more.

Otherwise, the drive is a straight shot and then Cocoa Beach is an easy-going beach town, basically.

Port Canaveral is a very easy cruise port. The car rental shuttle will drop you off at the ship. This is not a “bustling” port. And you are not in an industrial area.
If I recall correctly most of the rental car companies have a transponder in the car that pays the toll. The rental car agencies typically tack on an extra fee, usually ~$5/day. I can't remember if it's $5/day that you pay a toll or if you pay a toll even just one day they tack on $5 for every day of the rental. Either way, to me it's probably worth an extra $20-$25 not to have to worry about the tolls.

If I recall correctly most of the rental car companies have a transponder in the car that pays the toll. The rental car agencies typically tack on an extra fee, usually ~$5/day. I can't remember if it's $5/day that you pay a toll or if you pay a toll even just one day they tack on $5 for every day of the rental. Either way, to me it's probably worth an extra $20-$25 not to have to worry about the tolls.
I think many of the tolls just recognize lisence plates nowadays. Either way (license plate or transponder), the rental car companies have a way to auto-pay the tolls, and they will charge you a fee for the service. At least on National, they only charge the fee on days you use the tolls (and not on days you have the car rented but don't have any tolls). I use their toll option all the time, yes it's a small extra fee but to me it's worth it to just have the tolls covered. Plus I had issues with trying to use my own transponder in rental cars; it would often recognize the plate and the transponder so then I was double-charged for some tolls. 🤦‍♀️

Here is an article info on toll passes from rental cars:

https://yourmileagemayvary.com/2023...y-toll-charges-when-renting-a-car-in-orlando/

And this is a post in this forum from this week with an option for those picking up a rental car at MCO:

“I know OP already said they did not want another account, but in case anyone else looks at this thread later, my husband and I were just at MCO in April and saw banners for visitor toll passes.

https://visitortollpass.com/

This was quick and easy to setup; we did it on our phones while waiting for our luggage to come around and then stopped at the kiosk on the way out to the rental carts to pick up the placard. You put in your license plate # when you have it, then you can just drive through the tolls normally. We kept the placard the whole time, and used it for our second rental car when we got off the ship, then dropped it in the drop slot when we flew home. Easy peasy. The only gotcha was remembering to turn OFF the rental car license plate when you return the car. My husband forgot to and we got one charge for whomever had the car next. Even with that it was much cheaper than paying the rental car fee for them to pay our tolls.” -posted by AquaDame in thread

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...-wish-via-528-toll-road.3920936/post-64855099

This looks like a boon for car renters.

I don’t know if non-US residents can sign up (that was a problem with getting a Sun Pass).

Here is an article info on toll passes from rental cars:

https://yourmileagemayvary.com/2023...y-toll-charges-when-renting-a-car-in-orlando/

And this is a post in this forum from this week with an option for those picking up a rental car at MCO:

“I know OP already said they did not want another account, but in case anyone else looks at this thread later, my husband and I were just at MCO in April and saw banners for visitor toll passes.

https://visitortollpass.com/

This was quick and easy to setup; we did it on our phones while waiting for our luggage to come around and then stopped at the kiosk on the way out to the rental carts to pick up the placard. You put in your license plate # when you have it, then you can just drive through the tolls normally. We kept the placard the whole time, and used it for our second rental car when we got off the ship, then dropped it in the drop slot when we flew home. Easy peasy. The only gotcha was remembering to turn OFF the rental car license plate when you return the car. My husband forgot to and we got one charge for whomever had the car next. Even with that it was much cheaper than paying the rental car fee for them to pay our tolls.” -posted by AquaDame in thread

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...-wish-via-528-toll-road.3920936/post-64855099

This looks like a boon for car renters.

I don’t know if non-US residents can sign up (that was a problem with getting a Sun Pass).
I am doing a one-way rental and getting the DCL bus back to the airport for ease, the Visitor Toll Pass has to be a round trip from the airport - I emailed just to check I couldn’t hang onto the tag until I got back to the airport and they answered me very quickly but unfortunately not an option - you have to bring the car back to MCO. Enterprise’s website says $3.95 fee per day you use toll roads so it’s not too bad. I’m sure if I had been more organised and shopped around I might have been able to get a cheaper deal all in but I’m at the “just book it” stage of planning now!

I am doing a one-way rental and getting the DCL bus back to the airport for ease, the Visitor Toll Pass has to be a round trip from the airport - I emailed just to check I couldn’t hang onto the tag until I got back to the airport and they answered me very quickly but unfortunately not an option - you have to bring the car back to MCO. Enterprise’s website says $3.95 fee per day you use toll roads so it’s not too bad. I’m sure if I had been more organised and shopped around I might have been able to get a cheaper deal all in but I’m at the “just book it” stage of planning now!
Your deal with Enterprise is decent. And on “days you use toll roads” is the clincher. You probably will just get those two tolls on the Beach Line.

Hertz charges everyday of a rental, toll use or not.

One less thing to deal with.

Good to know about the requirement to return the car - not just the tag - at MCO. I was hoping you could just drop it in the box at the end of the cruise.

I have followed 3 different threads lately about toll roads in FL.

We had 2 different rental cars in January, one before the cruise, and one after the cruise. We used the same Visitor Toll Pass for both rentals, and changed the plate to our car back home during the cruise to avoid getting other people’s charges. As long as you return the hang tag to the airport, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for you.

the only toll road between Orlando Airport (MCO) and Cocoa Beach is SR-528 aka Beachline. So long as you go direct from MCO to the beach - no intermediate stops - you can pay the two tolls with cash. Pay attention tho the pay plaza looks like an exit off to the right while the electronic lanes go straight thru
toll 1.jpg
toll 2.jpg

in the pay plaza the right is an attended lane and will make change - cash only and PLEASE nothing bigger then a $20. To the left is exact change lane - coins - (quarters) - the two tolls with be under $3 COMBINED. Going from the beach to KSC you encounter no toll roads unless you are WAY off course and LOST! (p.s. the 'fare' at the two stops is different! So check the signs)

The port is no longer 'sleepy' - in fact it was recently named the busiest cruise port having surpassed Miami. Some days can see as many as SIX ships and these days are crazy. Unfortunately the size of the rental car offices has NOT grown with the increased cruise capacity. You can check the schedule on the cruise tab of the port web site portcanaveral.com ... looks like a 'medium' day for you . .

1686231487200.png

Last edited:
the only toll road between Orlando Airport (MCO) and Cocoa Beach is SR-528 aka Beachline.

in the pay plaza the right is an attended lane and will make change - cash only and PLEASE nothing bigger then a $20. To the left is exact change lane - coins - (quarters) - the two tolls with be under $3 COMBINED. Going from the beach to KSC you encounter no toll roads unless you are WAY off course and LOST! (p.s. the 'fare' at the two stops is different! So check the signs)

That's what I posted in #7 and here's another screen shot.528toll.png

We had 2 different rental cars in January, one before the cruise, and one after the cruise. We used the same Visitor Toll Pass for both rentals, and changed the plate to our car back home during the cruise to avoid getting other people’s charges. As long as you return the hang tag to the airport, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for you.
Yes I did think maybe I could clear the number plate when I dropped it off at PC, but as I don’t have US number plate to swap it to, I think it just causes problems. I thought I would ask them anyway but they said what I was asking was outside their terms. I think what you did was a good workaround

We have never worried about the toll costs - we just let the rental car company charge us when they receive their bill. Probably the less you have to worry about scrounging up change coming from the UK, the less stressed out you will be. For kids that age, Kennedy Space Center will be loads of fun, as will hanging out and shopping at Ron Jon's. Cool atmosphere. We never miss dinner at FishLips there at Port Canaveral - get there for an early dinner or late lunch, listen to live music, and watch the cruise ships sail out of the channel. You can search what times cruise ships are planning to leave the Port each day so you can plan to be there. They have an outside dock and you will sometimes get lucky and see the dolphins playing right outside the restaurant windows. We've made some great memories at FishLips.

If you are in the area and looking for more things to do, there are alligator farms that would be a hit for kids that age.... just lots of fun adventures to be had along the Florida coast. Beaches north of Daytona are not as crowded and are very nice. You are going to have an amazing trip - what a great way to start this next stage in life!!

We have never worried about the toll costs - we just let the rental car company charge us when they receive their bill. Probably the less you have to worry about scrounging up change coming from the UK, the less stressed out you will be. For kids that age, Kennedy Space Center will be loads of fun, as will hanging out and shopping at Ron Jon's. Cool atmosphere. We never miss dinner at FishLips there at Port Canaveral - get there for an early dinner or late lunch, listen to live music, and watch the cruise ships sail out of the channel. You can search what times cruise ships are planning to leave the Port each day so you can plan to be there. They have an outside dock and you will sometimes get lucky and see the dolphins playing right outside the restaurant windows. We've made some great memories at FishLips.

If you are in the area and looking for more things to do, there are alligator farms that would be a hit for kids that age.... just lots of fun adventures to be had along the Florida coast. Beaches north of Daytona are not as crowded and are very nice. You are going to have an amazing trip - what a great way to start this next stage in life!!
Thank you so much for the tips and the best wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter