First Time Cruisers Family of Five Need Any Pointers

JGR

Mouseketeer
We are a family of five. Three children ages five, three and three months. We have been to WDW many times - we are DVC members. We have never been on a cruise - any cruise. We are last minute travelers and have a reservation booked for 3/1/09 on a four night Bahama on the Wonder but, have not paid for through Disney's 800 number. We have on hold two cat 9 connecting rooms in the middle of the ship.

We have late seating dinner which is fine. We do not want to go on any excursions b/c of the ages of our children. Does anyone have any advice for us? Are we booking through the best way to get the best price? Is there anything that we are missing? I know about Paolo but, not sure if it is that important to us...any other advice would be appreciated. Is Animators Palace for families?

Thank you all!!!

Make sure to reserve your time at flounders reef (for the 3 month old) if you are interested - as they only have room for 4 non-walkers per time slot and they fill up quickly.

Animators Palate is for Kids.........It is a regular dining room.

PALO is for for Adults and if i wee you i would at least do one of the seatings.

Just for a bit of you time. I would say the one that you woud spend the least time away from the kids is HIGH TEA.....and it is not as 'fancy' as the other times and you can still do dining with the kiddos.

It is probablly still available even on the website andif not yu can get it once you get on board.

Dont be alarmed if your kids NEVER want to leave the kids rooms.....We MADE OURS LEAVE long enough to take pictures!!!! HA!

I wouldnt wrry about excursions either, i was sick one of the days we were in a port and didnt feel like leaving the ship, the ship gets VERY bare and a great time to enjoiy the pools!!!

READ READ READ the navigator, it is like a newspaper you will get every night to tell you what is going on the next day.....some of the things in it are great fun!!! lots of activities......BUT do arrive at the activities a little early as they fill up quick!!!!

UNLESS you are big water drinkers or big beer drinkers.....DONT fall into getting the package of either on the first day!!!

Make sure if yu want to eat in the restaurants at breakfast and lunch you know the times.....i could never get it straight as to what times they were opened and almost always got there tooo late.....there is always other food available but sometimes you want to do the sit down thing for breakfast or lunch too!!!

IF IF IF you think you might have the slightest inclination of getting seasick take the meds and take them BEFORE...BEFORE ....BEFORE the ship startes moving!!!!!! Trust me this is a must!!!!!! Our first cruise i was soooooo sick the first 24 hours.....cuz after i got sick it took the meds awhiel to get rid of the sea sickness.

The second cruise i took it in the terminal and took it every 4 hours thereafter for the next couple days. And i neve got sick!

DONT overpack!!!! hahahahahaha the first cruise i took 8 suitcases for 4 of us and we were only gone for 9 days.
Second cruise i took 6 suitcases and we were gone for 14 days....so i am getting better, but i am learning to reuse some clothing.

ANything else you want to know i will be glad to help NOT an expert BUT i still remeber my first time.....i had so many quiestions!!!!

double check on the late seating - will the kids be able to stay up that late - it's not about the food - because you can always snack w/the pizza / burgers / chicken - but my kids couldn't make it to 10pm for the desert -

use port days for staying on board - the kids loved having the ping-pong tables w/o having other kids standing them behind waiting for a turn

get extra fruit & yougurt @ breakfast - and if you can get a milk container - get that also & take back to the room for a mid morning snack - though there are afternoon snacks - mid morning is a little slim for the kids - and you know what kids are like if they are hungry and there's nothing to eat right when they want it -

and lastly - get the night-time room service cookies and milk - it's great for a wind-down - and it gets the kids back into the room -

Thanks to everyone...I am getting excited! I am sure we will learn as we go--just like at WDW. Have a magical day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter