First date - send all your luck

Went out on another first date yesterday (I wasn't that interested in positing about)...meh. I mentioned elsewhere he was kinda critical of my food order and kinda suggested I "eat a cheeseburger" which I hate. He also had to comment on my clothes, jewelry, shoes, and handbag. I don't know what to make of that...
Tomorrow going on a date of a guy I dated briefly last year...they all seem to come back around. We'll see. Tuesday I'm looking forward to! Friday I stayed in and I'm in again tonight, so I'll have energy for this next week:)

Really appreciate the online encouragement. Sometimes its easier for me to talk and be excited (and disappointed) online more so than IRL. With the solid, loving relationships represented here, I'm sure I'm getting all the well wishes one could hope for!

ugh, I HATE guys who comment on my weight (either way). I've always been average, and can run 10lbs under-weight (when stressed), to 10lbs over-weight. Every guy has a different 'type'... to my dh, there's no such thing as too skinny. He doesn't like a bit of fat. To other guys, skinny girls look like boys and they like some curves. To each his own, but don't try to fatten me up, lol. What was his commenting on your clothes, etc, like? I'm really not liking him, lol.

ugh, I HATE guys who comment on my weight (either way). I've always been average, and can run 10lbs under-weight (when stressed), to 10lbs over-weight. Every guy has a different 'type'... to my dh, there's no such thing as too skinny. He doesn't like a bit of fat. To other guys, skinny girls look like boys and they like some curves. To each his own, but don't try to fatten me up, lol. What was his commenting on your clothes, etc, like? I'm really not liking him, lol.

I'm not going out with him again. The commenting on my fashion choices just felt like it could be controlling. He said that he liked my dress and asked where it came from - I said "Target" - he then told me it didn't really go with my watch and handbag. Later we strolled to a bar (afternoon in my hood) and he remarked that my shoes didn't go with my dress due to the brand. I think he was offended I wore a Target dress - but its freaking CUTE on me. Or he doesn't like nice watches? IDK, it was just...odd. He was otherwise pretty engaging, but that stuff was super weird, right?

I'm not going out with him again. The commenting on my fashion choices just felt like it could be controlling. He said that he liked my dress and asked where it came from - I said "Target" - he then told me it didn't really go with my watch and handbag. Later we strolled to a bar (afternoon in my hood) and he remarked that my shoes didn't go with my dress due to the brand. I think he was offended I wore a Target dress - but its freaking CUTE on me. Or he doesn't like nice watches? IDK, it was just...odd. He was otherwise pretty engaging, but that stuff was super weird, right?

ummmmm, insanely weird!!!! Saying he liked you dress - nice. Saying it didn't go with your watch and handbag - ???? First, if you're a guy that *knows* that, you're not for me. But of course that's just a personal choice, probably more due to my age than anything else. But ok, the guy has women's fashion information in his brain. Second... the guy *knows* it, AND says it??? Nope! And third, shoes and dress not going because of the brand. OMG! That's weird, rude, weird, controlling, and weird to me!

Can you imagine the convo with his friends afterwards? "She was nice and cute, but I don't know guys... her watch and handbag didn't really go with her dress". :rotfl:

ummmmm, insanely weird!!!! Saying he liked you dress - nice. Saying it didn't go with your watch and handbag - ???? First, if you're a guy that *knows* that, you're not for me. But of course that's just a personal choice, probably more due to my age than anything else. But ok, the guy has women's fashion information in his brain. Second... the guy *knows* it, AND says it??? Nope! And third, shoes and dress not going because of the brand. OMG! That's weird, rude, weird, controlling, and weird to me!

Can you imagine the convo with his friends afterwards? "She was nice and cute, but I don't know guys... her watch and handbag didn't really go with her dress". :rotfl:

I'm so glad you agree! I was so put off by it and him. Just a weird, weird series of comments. I really do think he was offended that I admitted to wearing a Target dress. Its CUTE! It does go with any type of watch, shoes, or handbag.

I'm so glad you agree! I was so put off by it and him. Just a weird, weird series of comments. I really do think he was offended that I admitted to wearing a Target dress. Its CUTE! It does go with any type of watch, shoes, or handbag.

Not to steal your thread, but I'm dipping into the dating scene again after 30 years. I had 3 dates with a guy, he has qualities but lacking some other stuff I'm looking for...So in this dating age, do you tell a guy WHY you don't think it'll work? or do you just let it fade? I felt like I would want to know why myself, but nobody likes criticism.

Not to steal your thread, but I'm dipping into the dating scene again after 30 years. I had 3 dates with a guy, he has qualities but lacking some other stuff I'm looking for...So in this dating age, do you tell a guy WHY you don't think it'll work? or do you just let it fade? I felt like I would want to know why myself, but nobody likes criticism.

Lord, no, don't tell him! Just say you don't think he's a match.

Also, so exciting for you! Dating is a pain, sure, but its super fun too!

If he is any way not nice, ghost him like no one's business. Its 3 dates, you owe him nothing.

I think he was being elitist about clothes. Who cares if it came from Target?! Good call on not seeing him again. In a million years, dh would never care where a dress came from. So not on his radar.

Last edited:
I have the nicest dresses from Target. Lined, fit me perfectly (which is hard to find for me), really, really nice! I get tons of compliments every time I wear them.

I mentioned elsewhere he was kinda critical of my food order and kinda suggested I "eat a cheeseburger" which I hate. He also had to comment on my clothes, jewelry, shoes, and handbag. I don't know what to make of that...

Really appreciate the online encouragement. Sometimes its easier for me to talk and be excited (and disappointed) online more so than IRL. With the solid, loving relationships represented here, I'm sure I'm getting all the well wishes one could hope for!

(Bolding mine) Grrr. I am a very small person and comments like this drive me crazy! It ticks me off that people feel that it is okay to comment on my size, when they wouldn't dare tell a heavier person to eat a salad because that would be rude. It goes both ways! And who cares where you bought your dress? If it looks good on you, wear it! Too bad you didn't tell him you got it at a garage sale, though. :D

I hope your next date is better! My first date (ever and with my husband) was in 1995, and we've been together ever since, so I really don't have much to add to the conversation. From the threads I have read lately, I don't think I'd find dating fun anymore.

amberpi, just curious as to how your date went Tuesday night.
Any info you care to share?

Y'all - weirdest date last night. It was still great. Otw the to a lunch date in fact.

I feel like I should do a week long aggregate of totally inappropriate messages and other weird things that transpire in online dating. It's changed SO much from 2008 to 2016.

Y'all - weirdest date last night. It was still great. Otw the to a lunch date in fact.

I feel like I should do a week long aggregate of totally inappropriate messages and other weird things that transpire in online dating. It's changed SO much from 2008 to 2016.

Please do...I need some perspective since I last dated in 1987!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter