• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
They were in a playoff with Ukraine yesterday. Otherwise Ukraine would have been our first match.
OK, I understand Wales was a late qualifier. It wasn’t intentional.

Well, at least England v Wales in the preliminary round. That should be exciting for UK fans.

Too Euro-centric if Wales has its own team. They don’t at the Olympics.

That’s like a separate Florida qualifying in addition to the US team.
Europe still has the greatest amount of berths in the tournament too. Even when the tournament expands in 2026, they still will.

Europe still has the greatest amount of berths in the tournament too. Even when the tournament expands in 2026, they still will.
Of course. I looked it up and Europe has 40% of the slots. 13 of 32.

In 2026, they will have 16 of 48 spots, lower percentage at 33%, but still far more than any other region.

Granted, Europe has more soccer fanatic countries than any other continent, but it’s still a bit unbalanced IMO.

A team from the Pacific should be guaranteed a berth, not have to play in against another region. It looks like that will happen in 26.

With the way Messi is playing and having some great support for him on the team making the team not a "one man show',I am beginning to think Argentina may actually have a shot.

@Buzz Rules , I'm curious... do you go on Soccer message boards and try to promote Disney vacations/shows?
I really don't understand why soccer threads bother people here. It's the community board, not the theme parks board, or DVC, or some other specific sub-board. I'm part of several niche threads here about other hobbies - exercise, photography, reading, even individual TV shows and games we play on our phones. I don't see this as any different.

I really don't understand why soccer threads bother people here. It's the community board, not the theme parks board, or DVC, or some other specific sub-board. I'm part of several niche threads here about other hobbies - exercise, photography, reading, even individual TV shows and games we play on our phones. I don't see this as any different.
It doesn’t bother me if people don’t like the sport or don’t participate in my threads. They’re meant to be informative and engaging. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. But I make different threads when major things are happening in the soccer world. The Canada Soccer team strike being one of them. I get I’m known as the soccer guy on the Disboards but I wish people would recognize I bring a lot of non soccer topics to the board as well. :-):confused3

Of course. I looked it up and Europe has 40% of the slots. 13 of 32.

In 2026, they will have 16 of 48 spots, lower percentage at 33%, but still far more than any other region.

Granted, Europe has more soccer fanatic countries than any other continent, but it’s still a bit unbalanced IMO.

A team from the Pacific should be guaranteed a berth, not have to play in against another region. It looks like that will happen in 26.
The last 2 spots will be awarded on the 13th and 14th of June. If NZ qualify, it will be a true World Cup.

With the way Messi is playing and having some great support for him on the team making the team not a "one man show',I am beginning to think Argentina may actually have a shot.
I actually think Portugal is going to win win it all. CR7 finally gives Portugal a World Cup and Disney immediately tries to buy the movie rights and makes the film 20 years from now. :rotfl:

So what is your opinion of the US chances?

In 1994, US soccer pretty much guaranteed they would be a serious threat in 20 years. Not necessarily to win the WC, but to be among the elite group that consistently makes it to the Final 4.

So what is your opinion of the US chances?

In 1994, US soccer pretty much guaranteed they would be a serious threat in 20 years. Not necessarily to win the WC, but to be among the elite group that consistently makes it to the Final 4.
Very good (despite the bs that the English media says). This is our golden generation. We have beaten Mexico 3 times, have won both the Nations League and Gold Cup in the last year, and are consistently ranked in the top 20 out of the world’s 205. We should make it out of the group, get a lucky win in the round of 16, and then probably crushed in the final 8. That would be a great tournament for the USA. 2026 is when this group should be in their prime. The average age of this group is 24 I believe. That’s the youngest and most talented group of players we have ever had. If they play flawlessly, we could be a dark horse to win it all. It comes down to injuries, game management, maturity, stress management, and playing to their full potential. Euro snobs will say England and Wales will automatically go through but their in for a shock. If we win that first game, all bets are off and England will be scared. They notoriously screw up in World Cups. Wales haven’t been to a WC in 64 years and Iran will be an even challenge. I predict we will top the group (with some outside favorable results) and Wales will be second. England will be outraged and fire their coach and Iran will claim match fixing while probably burning a flag. This WC works in our favor for our MLS players and some of our European starters may go out on loan. So our team should have fresher bodies to compete in this tournament. Travel will be less and the WC has been shortened to 28 days from around 33. Less recovery time is something American players are used to and not the European teams. All in all, USA is going to make the country proud. :-)⚽🇺🇸:jumping1:

I actually enjoy soccer. My kids have played it for over a decade, we've made a couple of trips to watch the USWNT and USMNT. We've seen a couple of Columbus Crew games in person (at the old stadium).

The threads themselves don't bother me. I wish the OP would post more of HIS thoughts on whatever subject (MNT, WC, Canada's team, whatever) instead of just posting twitter posts and youtube videos that other people have put together.

I actually enjoy soccer. My kids have played it for over a decade, we've made a couple of trips to watch the USWNT and USMNT. We've seen a couple of Columbus Crew games in person (at the old stadium).

The threads themselves don't bother me. I wish the OP would post more of HIS thoughts on whatever subject (MNT, WC, Canada's team, whatever) instead of just posting twitter posts and youtube videos that other people have put together.
The videos/Twitter posts are informative on the subject discussed. I do put in my input when it makes sense. Most don’t respond to my threads, so I try to fill them with relevant information.

Very good (despite the bs that the English media says). This is our golden generation. We have beaten Mexico 3 times, have won both the Nations League and Gold Cup in the last year, and are consistently ranked in the top 20 out of the world’s 205. We should make it out of the group, get a lucky win in the round of 16, and then probably crushed in the final 8. That would be a great tournament for the USA. 2026 is when this group should be in their prime. The average age of this group is 24 I believe. That’s the youngest and most talented group of players we have ever had. If they play flawlessly, we could be a dark horse to win it all. It comes down to injuries, game management, maturity, stress management, and playing to their full potential. Euro snobs will say England and Wales will automatically go through but their in for a shock. If we win that first game, all bets are off and England will be scared. They notoriously screw up in World Cups. Wales haven’t been to a WC in 64 years and Iran will be an even challenge. I predict we will top the group (with some outside favorable results) and Wales will be second. England will be outraged and fire their coach and Iran will claim match fixing while probably burning a flag. This WC works in our favor for our MLS players and some of our European starters may go out on loan. So our team should have fresher bodies to compete in this tournament. Travel will be less and the WC has been shortened to 28 days from around 33. Less recovery time is something American players are used to and not the European teams. All in all, USA is going to make the country proud. :-)⚽🇺🇸:jumping1:
If you remember that Wales only has a population of around 3 million, the US should, in theory, thrash us. But you won’t because our amazing singing will intimidate your players. 😉

If you remember that Wales only has a population of around 3 million, the US should, in theory, thrash us. But you won’t because our amazing singing will intimidate your players. 😉
That or they’ll be so busy trying to figure out how to pronounce your names, that they won’t pay attention to the game 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter