February Exercise Challenge--Let's get moving and take care of our hearts!

Hey guys. I'm working on my own "get in shape for tot 10-miler thing and was wondering what you recommend doing for cross-training? Once I get in better shape I can do classes at the local gym (but I don't wanna go when I get winded after 10 minutes of brisk walking...)

Any recommendations?

nocomment711 said:
Hey guys. I'm working on my own "get in shape for tot 10-miler thing and was wondering what you recommend doing for cross-training? Once I get in better shape I can do classes at the local gym (but I don't wanna go when I get winded after 10 minutes of brisk walking...)

Any recommendations?

Have you checked out kettle bells? I think they're easily adaptable to lots of fitness levels and you can get started fairly inexpensively. I bought mine at Walmart and did the accompanying DVD. Those swings. Eesh.

First day of the month went well. I am in the middle of training for the St. Pats 10k so I ran for 5min and walked for 1 for 30 min and then I did 40 minutes of circuit training.

70/900

Finished for today.

15 minutes of Yoga and 18 minutes of various stuff on the Wii Fit.

33/860

Welcome everyone! :)

Rose I got in on the lottery for the DC Nike womens half.

So very excited to run in DC. I lived there in the past and was not a runner at the time. Also get to take DH to see alot of what I experienced when I lived there.
That is exciting! Mike and I both went to college in the DC area. I was not a runner in college, so I would love to go back and run around the mall, etc at some point. :)
I'm in for 3000 again this month. We are (hopefully) closing on our new (to us) house in a couple of weeks so this month is going to be difficult for me but I'm determined.

Started today with a walk:
1 hour 42 minutes

102/3000

Thanks again to the hosts! This is the only thread I really keep up with these days and it really does motivate me.
Too exciting MB. I feel like such a slacker when I see your totals! Impressive!

Any recommendations?
hmmm. Depends on what you consider cross training. Are you talking about strength or cardio? Strength--I recommend a yoga dvd. You get flexibility and strength at the same time. There are some walk away the pounds dvds that use light hand weights at the same time. For cardio I am a big fan of the elliptical for building endurance. If you are working out at home there are all kinds of easy exercises to do with hand weights and there is always the plank for core.

Have you checked out kettle bells? I think they're easily adaptable to lots of fitness levels and you can get started fairly inexpensively. I bought mine at Walmart and did the accompanying DVD. Those swings. Eesh.
Mike loves the kettle bells. I will say if anyone is looking into them--Protect Your Back! You can definitely do the exercises wrong and risk injuring your back.

First day of the month went well. I am in the middle of training for the St. Pats 10k so I ran for 5min and walked for 1 for 30 min and then I did 40 minutes of circuit training.

70/900
I love 10ks! :)

I have a goal of 81 miles for this month. So today I took it easy and went 1.72 in 21 min. I ran 1.06 in 11 min (of the 21). Tomorrow is a 9 mile run if we can make it to the Y safely. We are going to get snow this weekend. Yuck!

I wanna be able to do a 5K in may. I'm pretty out of shape though and I'm too socially awkward to ask my coworker (I've only known her for three months) to help me train for it. It's hard being so far from home where I know an trust the streets.

I wanna be able to do a 5K in may. I'm pretty out of shape though and I'm too socially awkward to ask my coworker (I've only known her for three months) to help me train for it. It's hard being so far from home where I know an trust the streets.
:hug: I was so nervous when I started working out again in 2010. I hated going to the Y because I thought everyone was looking at me and thinking not nice things. The reality--at the Y (or most gyms) people are there to get their workouts in and aren't really paying attention to anyone else. Most people are really encouraging of new people and beginners as long as they are following the rules (like cleaning their machines). At some point if I wanted to be healthy I just needed to get over my own issues and just do it. You can do this! A 5k is very doable! :)

One of my favorite quotes:
Don't let your fear decide your fate. :)

Rose&Mike said:
:hug: I was so nervous when I started working out again in 2010. I hated going to the Y because I thought everyone was looking at me and thinking not nice things. The reality--at the Y (or most gyms) people are there to get their workouts in and aren't really paying attention to anyone else. Most people are really encouraging of new people and beginners as long as they are following the rules (like cleaning their machines). At some point if I wanted to be healthy I just needed to get over my own issues and just do it. You can do this! A 5k is very doable! :)

One of my favorite quotes:
Don't let your fear decide your fate. :)

It's just so expensive to join a gym when there's a small one in my apartment complex. At the same time at a place like Curves, there's a support system. I just don't know it it's worth the big chunk out of my budget (maybe I'm exaggerating, but $40 feels like a lot of money).

nocomment711 said:
It's just so expensive to join a gym when there's a small one in my apartment complex. At the same time at a place like Curves, there's a support system. I just don't know it it's worth the big chunk out of my budget (maybe I'm exaggerating, but $40 feels like a lot of money).

Use that free fitness center! Seriously!!

I'm in again, for 1275 again. I can even start in the black, with a 58 min run, woo hoo!!

I skipped all my cross training last month and didn't meet the goal. This month we are living in a new area that has access to skiing, so that counts right? :) ill time the runs only. Sitting on a lift does not count, haha.

Thanks for hosting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter