Fastpasses for height restriction rides

disneyhayley206

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I wonder if you can help me. My husband and I are taking our two children to WDW and we are coming up to our fastpass window. My children are 4 and 2. Whilst we are planning the holiday round them, I would really like to ride Splash mountain and hubby really wants to ride thunder. Last time when we went in 2015 and just had my DD, we both fastpassed the height restriction rides. But when we got there they gave us rider swap too and it seemed like a waste of a fastpass. Obviously it's been a while and things could have changed. I also don't want to 'cheat' system if it's against the rules. What do we do? DO we both fastpass? Or just one of us and get rider swap?
Thanks!

Following. We will have 2 adults, 14yo and 4yo. I’m curious if we can make fast passes for 2 and do rider switch that way each adult can have a turn riding with our nephew (14)

When we went in August, we only had the people who were going to ride first get a fastpass. When they went to ride, they asked for a rider swap and pointed back at the too small child and person/people accompanying the too small child. They will either give you a rider swap pass ticket right then, or a lanyard that you will exchange further in the ride queue for the rider swap pass. After that first group rides, they hand the rider swap to the second group and up to 3 people can ride with it through the fastpass line.

There's not supposed to be a need for those staying back with the too small child to have a fastpass. We did not need one for any of the rides and we rode all of the big ones (Big Thunder, Splash, Space, 7Dwarfs, Soarin, TT, EE, FOP, TOT, etc). That being said, on very rare occasions on here, someone has posted being denied a rider swap if everyone didn't have a fastpass. I believe those accounts have only happened in regards to 7 Dwarfs and FOP, and like I said, have been rare and are most likely just CMs who don't understand the policy. Most people seem to report having no problem getting rider swap on any ride with only the first set of riders having fastpass.

When we went in August, we only had the people who were going to ride first get a fastpass. When they went to ride, they asked for a rider swap and pointed back at the too small child and person/people accompanying the too small child. They will either give you a rider swap pass ticket right then, or a lanyard that you will exchange further in the ride queue for the rider swap pass. After that first group rides, they hand the rider swap to the second group and up to 3 people can ride with it through the fastpass line.

There's not supposed to be a need for those staying back with the too small child to have a fastpass. We did not need one for any of the rides and we rode all of the big ones (Big Thunder, Splash, Space, 7Dwarfs, Soarin, TT, EE, FOP, TOT, etc). That being said, on very rare occasions on here, someone has posted being denied a rider swap if everyone didn't have a fastpass. I believe those accounts have only happened in regards to 7 Dwarfs and FOP, and like I said, have been rare and are most likely just CMs who don't understand the policy. Most people seem to report having no problem getting rider swap on any ride with only the first set of riders having fastpass.

Thank you! That’s how I thought it worked. Seems like it will work out good for us.

Following. We will have 2 adults, 14yo and 4yo. I’m curious if we can make fast passes for 2 and do rider switch that way each adult can have a turn riding with our nephew (14)

Only if the 4 year old is too short to ride, and if the CM doesn't hold to the 'all need FP ' policy that is showing up at some attractions in the parks.

I see Disney changing this policy - if one part of the group can get FP, then they should all get FP. Then there should be a rider swap pass that lets the person who waited with the too short kid to take one person so no one has to ride alone. Remember, the purpose of Rider Swap was to keep a family from having to wait in the STAND BY queue twice.

I sure hope it doesn’t change. Then kids under the height limits are basically screwed out of FPs on their paid-for tickets.

Not really. You, as a family, may choose up to 3 advance FPs for your family and its up to you to decide what rides and shows you select. If you decide to only select rides with height restrictions that’s your choice and will limit the options for the little ones.

I find that rather anti-family so it would surprise me if that were the direction they chose to go. Personally I find that way of thinking rather uncharitable but that’s just me.

I see Disney changing this policy - if one part of the group can get FP, then they should all get FP. Then there should be a rider swap pass that lets the person who waited with the too short kid to take one person so no one has to ride alone. Remember, the purpose of Rider Swap was to keep a family from having to wait in the STAND BY queue twice.

I don't really see how that would be stopping what it seems like you see as the problem of people getting extra fastpasses. In your scenario, there would still be one person riding that doesn't have to have a fastpass. Either they used their FP to ride that ride with the first group and are getting to ride a second time using the rider swap (without a FP), or they save their FP for a different ride and still get to ride the first ride too. Either way, someone is still getting to go through the fastpass line without a fastpass. Just the same as how the way it works now, regardless of whether the first group has fastpass or goes through standby, the second group is going through the fastpass line without fastpass.

I just don't really understand why people get so worked up over the second group needing fastpass to use rider swap if the first group used fastpass... But it doesn't seem like people have a problem with the second group getting in the fastpass line using rider swap if the first group rode standby. If people are granted the perk of getting in the fastpass line with rider swap after the rest of their party stood in standby, why shouldn't that same perk be given to people when the first group used fastpass? Either way, the first group is still waiting in a line and the second group then has to wait in the fastpass line.

I find that rather anti-family so it would surprise me if that were the direction they chose to go. Personally I find that way of thinking rather uncharitable but that’s just me.

And then they could consider themselves victims because they have small children and everyone knows families with small children are to come first in everything in life...

My point was that if you are able to get a FP for an attraction for part of your group, it should be for the entire group. I don't consider it to be anti-family to not allow one certain group to get twice as many FP accesses as another only because they have a child under the height requirement. Why do you consider that anti-family? And why does a business have to be 'charitable' at all?

Every person is entitled to 3 fast passes, not every family. I would book yourself SM and your DH and children pirates, or something close. Check into SM, get the rider switch, then send them to their ride. Then do the same for your DH's ride on BTMR. Book a 3rd FP+ for the whole family.

People get all uptight about this for no reason. Your children get their 3 fast passes and so do you. It still takes double the time to do the attraction you want. People just need to chill out and realize that others using the system how it was designed does not ruin their vacation.

I recently wrote Disney about this and their response was to get FP for all who want to ride to guarantee they will be able to ride. This is disappointing because it penalizes the too short kid. Obviously, he/she cannot use a FP to ride another ride by him/herself.

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! We are excited that you are going to be visiting us!

A "child swap" procedure is in place at our Theme Park Attractions, which enables parents to take turns experiencing our rides when a small child is in the party. After proceeding through the standard queue area at each Attraction, one parent experiences the presentation while the other remains behind with the child or children who cannot ride. At the conclusion of the ride, the parents simply change places, permitting the second parent to also experience the Attraction. However, in fairness to all Guests, we ask that only those individuals who did not ride with the first parent accompany the second parent riding. The following Attractions offer "child swap" procedure at this time. Magic Kingdom® Theme Park: Frontierland® Area: Splash Mountain® Attraction Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction Fantasyland® Area: The Barnstormer Attraction Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Tomorrowland® Area: Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway Space Mountain® Attraction Stitch's Great Escape! Attraction Epcot® Theme Park: Mission: SPACE® Attraction Test Track® Attraction Soarin'® Attraction Disney's Hollywood Studios® Theme Park: Star Tours®-The Adventure Continues Attraction Rock 'N Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park: Kali River Rapids® Attraction Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain® Primeval Whirl® Attraction Dinosaur Attraction Attractions are subject to change without notice.

When booking your FastPass+ selections, you should still book a FastPass for your husband even if doing the Rider Switch so as to guarantee that he will be able to participate in all of the rides.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Perry Rohm
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit."

I recently wrote Disney about this and their response was to get FP for all who want to ride to guarantee they will be able to ride. This is disappointing because it penalizes the too short kid. Obviously, he/she cannot use a FP to ride another ride by him/herself.

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! We are excited that you are going to be visiting us!

A "child swap" procedure is in place at our Theme Park Attractions, which enables parents to take turns experiencing our rides when a small child is in the party. After proceeding through the standard queue area at each Attraction, one parent experiences the presentation while the other remains behind with the child or children who cannot ride. At the conclusion of the ride, the parents simply change places, permitting the second parent to also experience the Attraction. However, in fairness to all Guests, we ask that only those individuals who did not ride with the first parent accompany the second parent riding. The following Attractions offer "child swap" procedure at this time. Magic Kingdom® Theme Park: Frontierland® Area: Splash Mountain® Attraction Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction Fantasyland® Area: The Barnstormer Attraction Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Tomorrowland® Area: Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway Space Mountain® Attraction Stitch's Great Escape! Attraction Epcot® Theme Park: Mission: SPACE® Attraction Test Track® Attraction Soarin'® Attraction Disney's Hollywood Studios® Theme Park: Star Tours®-The Adventure Continues Attraction Rock 'N Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park: Kali River Rapids® Attraction Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain® Primeval Whirl® Attraction Dinosaur Attraction Attractions are subject to change without notice.

When booking your FastPass+ selections, you should still book a FastPass for your husband even if doing the Rider Switch so as to guarantee that he will be able to participate in all of the rides.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Perry Rohm
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit."

The only way it penalizes little ones is if you choose to only FP rides with height restrictions that they do not meet. You could make FP for rides the entire family can enjoy and then use Rider Swap through the standby line for those rides that have height restrictions.

The only way it penalizes little ones is if you choose to only FP rides with height restrictions that they do not meet. You could make FP for rides the entire family can enjoy and then use Rider Swap through the standby line for those rides that have height restrictions.

That doesn't make sense. A rider switch is essentially a fastpass. CMs let you go in the FP line with them. Why would I even get a rider switch if we are just going to wait in the standby line?

Why exactly is it "unfamily" for not allowing a practice that gives double the FP to families just because they have a small or frightened child. Disney doesn't even have to offer Rider Swap but when they introduced the program it was to not only prevent families from having to wait in long standby lines twice but also so that the second adult didn't have to always ride alone.
One might say that choosing all of your FPs for rides that cannot accommodate your entire family is what is actually "anti-family".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter