Fastpass return or replacement?

[

I think if you typically stay Deluxe, but move down to a moderate or value resort, you may be thinking, I have extra to spend with the money I’m saving.

But I think the bulk of people who typically stay at a value/moderate are just planning a vacation within their budget. They’re not thinking, look at the extra money we have because we didn’t book deluxe.
Yes I agree for the bulk.

I think everyone's different. I can afford deluxe, and stay there sometimes. But I will often book values so we can spend more money on other things. I'm usually one that likes to be at parks from rope drop to closing every single day, no afternoon breaks and no resort days. So it doesn't always make sense for us to pay deluxe prices for a room to sleep and shower. But staying a value gives us that, and then allows us to spend a whole lot more money else where. But at the same time, our overall spending is likely to be pretty similar either way we go.
Seems logical to me.
I also can afford deluxe but choose to stay value so that I can stay for longer and go more often. I don't drive so I stay on propery exclusively. Instead of going for 1 week a year I end up going for at least 1 2 week trip and then at leasy twice more for 1 week each. As a result I spend more money on property than if I stayed deluxe because I shop and eat on property whenever I go.

I also can afford deluxe but choose to stay value so that I can stay for longer and go more often. I don't drive so I stay on propery exclusively. Instead of going for 1 week a year I end up going for at least 1 2 week trip and then at leasy twice more for 1 week each. As a result I spend more money on property than if I stayed deluxe because I shop and eat on property whenever I go.

This is a great example of a dedicated Disney fan. In your four weeks a year at Disney you probably spend more than the couple that spends 4 days in a Grand Floridian Deluxe room once a year. But do you spend more than 7 couples who stay at the Grand Floridian for 4 days each. I’m guessing you have an annual pass. They probably bought 3 day park hoppers. You buy say two expensive add-ons per year. Each of those 7 only buys one, but is adds up to 7. You buy one expensive souvenir per trip. Each of them buys one expensive souvenir per trip.

Per day the longer stays are going to spend less money than the short stays. So it’s in Disney’s best interest to get the short stay people to come become return guests. Some are entice to come back again and do the long stay to get the perks they missed by doing a short stay. But that means less money per day for Disney. Others choose to spend their money elsewhere. That means no money for Disney.

Disney’s dream guest would be folks showing up, paying rack rate for a hotel room, paying full price for a one day park hopper, go to a signature restaurant, pick up the latest souvenir to commemorate the occasion, and then come back and do that again in a year. Their dream scenario would be to have enough of these guests where offering they don’t have to discount tickets for the second, third or tenth day. But they don’t, and the dedicated Disney fans bring them lots of money too. However, they don’t want to discourage the dream guest. And the FP+ system, the way it was, did leave a lot of occasional dream guests discouraged.

This is a great example of a dedicated Disney fan. In your four weeks a year at Disney you probably spend more than the couple that spends 4 days in a Grand Floridian Deluxe room once a year. But do you spend more than 7 couples who stay at the Grand Floridian for 4 days each. I’m guessing you have an annual pass. They probably bought 3 day park hoppers. You buy say two expensive add-ons per year. Each of those 7 only buys one, but is adds up to 7. You buy one expensive souvenir per trip. Each of them buys one expensive souvenir per trip.

Per day the longer stays are going to spend less money than the short stays. So it’s in Disney’s best interest to get the short stay people to come become return guests. Some are entice to come back again and do the long stay to get the perks they missed by doing a short stay. But that means less money per day for Disney. Others choose to spend their money elsewhere. That means no money for Disney.

Disney’s dream guest would be folks showing up, paying rack rate for a hotel room, paying full price for a one day park hopper, go to a signature restaurant, pick up the latest souvenir to commemorate the occasion, and then come back and do that again in a year. Their dream scenario would be to have enough of these guests where offering they don’t have to discount tickets for the second, third or tenth day. But they don’t, and the dedicated Disney fans bring them lots of money too. However, they don’t want to discourage the dream guest. And the FP+ system, the way it was, did leave a lot of occasional dream guests discouraged.
I myself do have an AP. But my travel companions don't because I don't travel with the same people everytime. For example I'm going with my 2 18 year olds at the end of this monthand my husband at the end of next month and they all have park hopper + tickets for 7 days. I February I'll be travelling with my best friend to festival of the arts and in May my 15 year old. They will also need tickets. I also eat book at least 1 dinner or lunch at a sit down restaurant, sometimes a breakfast as well if we want to avoid the skyliner for HS or the bus for MK rope drop. I also don't shop less because I visit often. I'm a pin collector so often drop quite a bit on pins and buy at least 1 hoodie and pair of leggings amd pajamas every trip. I have to say I think disney appreciates my business. I may not be the norm but I know quite a few people like myself and in reality it's not like anyone on these boards actually knows what a typical guest at Disney is. I am also Canadian and almost all of the Disney Stores within Canada are closing this month and shipping from shop disney is outrageous so I'll probably just end up spending more.

Yet people continue to flock to parks. I see complaining all the time and people still go. Resorts
booked up. Pictures of large crowds. You would think there was no where else to vacation. There
are other choices out there but for many WDW... bad faults and all is the only choice.

I will be curious how all this plays out next year.

Their bread and butter is first timers and only timers, so I would have to wonder how many people just dont know.

Their bread and butter is first timers and only timers, so I would have to wonder how many people just dont know.
I know it may be a shocker to some, but there are some of us that still thoroughly enjoy the parks (I've been going for close to 30 years). I go on plenty of other vacations, but I still have a fantastic time and find great value in my WDW trips. For me, things have only improved. Not everybody vacations the same way or sees things the same way.

I know it may be a shocker to some, but there are some of us that still thoroughly enjoy the parks (I've been going for close to 30 years). I go on plenty of other vacations, but I still have a fantastic time and find great value in my WDW trips. For me, things have only improved. Not everybody vacations the same way or sees things the same way.
I have been going about the same amount of time. In general, I agree things have improved. But mostly from a viewpoint of quality of attractions, food, shows, etc. The crowds have taken away from those things, though. And that is pretty much what this fastpass thread is about, I think. My last trip (just got back Wednesday) was certainly not an improvement over my previous trip in August 2019. The trend was certainly broken.

I have been going about the same amount of time. In general, I agree things have improved. But mostly from a viewpoint of quality of attractions, food, shows, etc. The crowds have taken away from those things, though. And that is pretty much what this fastpass thread is about, I think. My last trip (just got back Wednesday) was certainly not an improvement over my previous trip in August 2019. The trend was certainly broken.
I've been 3 times since last summer, all of those trips have been fantastic without FP. And I've mentioned it plenty of times before, but we were always ones that absolutely maximized every bit of FP+, at least 10-12 each day, usually several more than that.

I've been 3 times since last summer, all of those trips have been fantastic without FP. And I've mentioned it plenty of times before, but we were always ones that absolutely maximized every bit of FP+, at least 10-12 each day, usually several more than that.
When was the last time you went?

]

I agree with you. It is definitely more enjoyable just to show up to the park and do the rides you can rather than spending the whole trip preoccupied with getting more fastpasses. I think a lot of people need a recalibration with the idea that you can go to Disney and get onto all of the popular rides in a park in one day.

I just got back Wednesday. Either crowds doubled between the time you went and I went or you are delusionally positive, 😆
Based on wait times, crowds have actually been less over the last week or so compared to a few weeks ago.
But still, never waited more than 30ish minutes, maybe 40 a time or two, and rode everything we wanted to. Far from delusional. Rope drop and staying til park close made it easy.

I mean, a majority of reviews and reports I've been reading all summer have been mostly positive. So it's clear I'm far from the only one.

]

I agree with you. It is definitely more enjoyable just to show up to the park and do the rides you can rather than spending the whole trip preoccupied with getting more fastpasses. I think a lot of people need a recalibration with the idea that you can go to Disney and get onto all of the popular rides in a park in one day.
I never spent much time at all on my phone. A minute or two here and there to get our next pass. Far from preoccupied with it. But even still, this summer we were able to ride everything we wanted (which was pretty much everything at Epcot/AK/HS and most things in MK) in one day at each park.

I don't know why Disney has such trouble creating a FP system the WORKS. All I want is:

Arrive at the park whenever I feel like it
Ride all the best rides
Never wait more than 30 minutes for any ride

Why is that so hard for them to figure out?
Disney needs to figure out how many guests can be accomdated under your parameters and how much money will guests be willing to pay.

The old system favored guests who were willing to spend time learning the system. Booked months in advanced. Set an alarm. Learn some tricks.
Rumor is the new system will favor guests willing to $$$$

How many RotR boarding slots will wind up being sold and at what price.

This is pretty much my take on it too. I love the history and memories we have with WDW, 30+ years of them, but this last trip just didn’t do it for me. I still miss WDW, but what’s there isn’t the WDW I love.

On our trip last week I found myself missing the lack of things to do besides rides even more than I thought I would. We love rides, but we like the shows and parades just as much and honestly, just doing ride after ride got boring. Calvalcades aren’t parades. FOTLK lite isn’t the real thing.

We want some form of FP back before we return, but they’re going to have to bring back what makes WDW unique and more than just an amusement park to get me back as well.

I have to disagree. It really depends on how you are measuring it. I would not be surprised if the spend per trip was higher for first timers / once in a lifetime visitors. However, you can’t ignore the DVC model which locks in repeat guests for 50 years. The repeat guest’s spend per trip might be lower, but those that come back 2 to 3 times per year for 30+ years have a pretty darn good lifetime spend or even a decent annual spend.

I have to disagree. It really depends on how you are measuring it. I would not be surprised if the spend per trip was higher for first timers / once in a lifetime visitors. However, you can’t ignore the DVC model which locks in repeat guests for 50 years. The repeat guest’s spend per trip might be lower, but those that come back 2 to 3 times per year for 30+ years have a pretty darn good lifetime spend or even a decent annual spend.

You can disagree all you want but its literally part of their business model. Disney feels repeat guests are nowhere near as valuable or important as first timers. Its been that way for at least a decade.

You can disagree all you want but its literally part of their business model. Disney feels repeat guests are nowhere near as valuable or important as first timers. Its been that way for at least a decade.
What business has a model that doesn’t want repeat customers?

I mean I get it. Disney may focus on attracting first timers but you can’t say they don’t want any repeat business. It’s not like first time guests get a ton of perks to attract them. In fact, most of the perks actually tend to go to repeat guests. Although I would agree those perks are being stripped away little by little - which is likely because the margins are not as high for repeaters. But trust me, Disney needs some level of repeat visitors to utilize their capacity. If only first time visitors went to Disney world over the next 12-months, Disney would be seriously hurting.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter