Fast pass is back…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't see a downside to this, other than it's not free like the old FP+. At first glance it seems superior in basically every way to the current system. A better version of FP+, albeit with a price tag, with the added option of ILL (*ahem* Lightning Lane Single) if you so desire.

Seems like people who plan ahead, stay onsite, and are willing to make the effort to work the system a bit (like most of us here), will have a huge advantage.

If Disney lowers the price to $10-15 per day, fine. Instead of buying for 2-3 days like I have been with Genie, I'll probably buy every day we visit the parks and end up paying about the same.

If it's still $25-35 per day, with these restrictions in place, this is a massive downgrade.

I get people not liking the 7am booking aspect of Genie+ or the uncertainty of not knowing return times in advance. (Which wasn't a big deal for 15 years of paper FP tickets, but I digress.)

But with Genie+, you could EASILY get 3-4 of what are now Tier 1 attractions in a single day. I had days where I rode Test Track, Frozen, Runaway Railway and Smugglers Run, plus 3 or 4 lesser attractions using Genie. Say what you want about the cost, but that was a much better experience than FP+.

If Disney plans to charge $28 per person, per day to skip the line on the likes of Soarin, Spaceship Earth and Nemo--or Big Thunder, Buzz and Pirates--this is a disaster.

Shall we take bets on whether the pricing is the same-ish as the current Genie+ or if it’s some multiple there of? My gut says it stays in the same ballpark, at least at first.
Definitely not multiple thereof. That would take it in the range of UO Express Pass pricing, and this isn't in the same Universe as that (see what I did there 😎)

My guess it will be more, but not crazy amounts more.

If Disney lowers the price to $10-15 per day, fine. Instead of buying for 2-3 days like I have been with Genie, I'll probably buy every day we visit the parks and end up paying about the same.

If it's still $25-35 per day, with these restrictions in place, this is a massive downgrade.

I get people not liking the 7am booking aspect of Genie+ or the uncertainty of not knowing return times in advance. (Which wasn't a big deal for 15 years of paper FP tickets, but I digress.)

But with Genie+, you could EASILY get 3-4 of what are now Tier 1 attractions in a single day. I had days where I rode Test Track, Frozen, Runaway Railway and Smugglers Run, plus 3 or 4 lesser attractions using Genie. Say what you want about the cost, but that was a much better experience than FP+.

If Disney plans to charge $28 per person, per day to skip the line on the likes of Soarin, Spaceship Earth and Nemo--or Big Thunder, Buzz and Pirates--this is a disaster.
That's a good point about the tiers and the pricing. Still, 1 top tier per day booked in advance with all the other advantages of this system, I don't see it being a massive downgrade. Getting 4 tier 1's in a day with G+ was possible, I've done it myself, but not something I would count on. Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the real world once people start finding the loopholes, etc

Great question. But I bet not, youll still be picking single park or multi park I bet. If you only buy the single you can only make LLMP picks at that park vs a 2nd park you want to hop to.

You choose only one park per day and your pre selections will need to be all at one park. Once you use one, you can book another including at another park.

Well, now the only thing we can count on is one Tier 1 per day. So yeah, I would call that a downgrade.
Fair, but I'll be very surprised if we can't get multiple Tier 1's using the rolling 3. G+ slots open up all day long if you're willing to hunt for them, no reason the think this wouldn't be similar. Not guaranteed, but more than 1 is not guaranteed now.

But nothing is better for everyone, I could see it not being as good for certain touring styles.

So, I can select a tier 1 and 2 tier 2 rides and once I ride one, I can add another tier 1/2 ride for a total of 4. I can select 1 ILL for a total of 5.

Can I add additional tier 1/2 rides after I ride each one?

Can you buy a second ILL once you use the 1st?

So, I can select a tier 1 and 2 tier 2 rides and once I ride one, I can add another tier 1/2 ride for a total of 4. I can select 1 ILL for a total of 5.

Can I add additional tier 1/2 rides after I ride each one?

Can you buy a second ILL once you use the 1st?

You will be able to purchase two LL single pass per day…so, technically, one at MK and one at Epcot, assuming you have a park hopper.

You will be able to hold three at a time on the LL multi pass….prebook 3, use one, book another, and keep adding as you use one.

Well, now the only thing we can count on is one Tier 1 per day. So yeah, I would call that a downgrade.
Isn’t that on paper the only thing Genie+ really guaranteed you? Does this really suggest you can only book 1 Tier 1 a day or only 1 Tier 1 in advance. I thought it was the latter so still possible to pull more Tier 1 for the day. It worked well in FP+ so I see no reason to suspect I can’t pull multiple Tier 1 with this system.

Some additional info:

Those with APs who have a resort reservation will get to make the selections up to 7 days prior. If not it’s 3 days prior.

Purchase and selections will start at 7 am! July 24th will be the first day for everyone, so no advanced access before then.

If you prebook and cancel your resort reservation, the advanced selections will be canceled…but no refunds for the purchase of the pass.

You will be able to purchase both the LL single pass and multi pass in the same transaction. Can only purchase via MDE.

ETA: Those who international will not be able to book advanced until in the US.

Last edited:
Will early entry be impacted by this? Is my thinking correct that if I plan to do early entry it would make sense to head to a Tier 1 like Peter Pan instead of selecting that as one of my options?

Isn’t that on paper the only thing Genie+ really guaranteed you? Does this really suggest you can only book 1 Tier 1 a day or only 1 Tier 1 in advance. I thought it was the latter so still possible to pull more Tier 1 for the day. It worked well in FP+ so I see no reason to suspect I can’t pull multiple Tier 1 with this system.
I have about 6 weeklong trips' worth of experience that tells me what Genie+ could deliver. And I fear this will be a lesser experience.

My fear is probably rooted in the assumption that more people will buy this new LL product since it eliminates pain points for some. And that Disney won't be able to resist the urge to sell more on days when it previously would have been sold out. Both of those factors mean less ride "spots" for people who buy.

For the past 3 years, EPCOT had a daily logjam around Test Track, Frozen and Remy. You could realistically ride 2 of the 3 with Genie in a single day. If you got really lucky (slow day), you could even get all 3. With the tiering, I don't see any way that it will be possible to ride more than 1 of the 3. I'd expect that all of the daily passes for TT, Frozen and Remy will be gone before arrival. (When TT reopens, of course)

It's probably more realistic to add some other Tier 1 like Runaway Railway or BTMR late in the day. But again, that depends how many daily LLMP Disney decides to sell. If everyone walking in the gate has the option to buy, it's going to be like the FP+ days where by noon, the only thing left were things like Laugh Floor, Turtle Talk and Disney Junior.

Don't forget that Disney has 5 attractions in a completely separate tier. In the FP+ days, people would also be using their Tier 1 reservations for Rise, TRON, GOTG and others. Now those attractions are off the table, in their own separate grouping.

Last edited:
I really can't see a downside to this, other than it's not free like the old FP+. At first glance it seems superior in basically every way to the current system. A better version of FP+, albeit with a price tag, with the added option of ILL (*ahem* Lightning Lane Single) if you so desire.

Seems like people who plan ahead, stay onsite, and are willing to make the effort to work the system a bit (like most of us here), will have a huge advantage.
So if your staying onsite would the strategy be rope drop to maybe get a couple rides off the bat. Then
have your 3 Genie+ booked. Also buy 2 ILL (because we will be there a limited time). Then book any other
genie rides you can?

We will be there in Dec so staying DVC will they still be offering the extended hours for MK and Epcot?

Huh TBA is listed as tier A for MK, would have thought that would be VQ to start.
I think the thing that makes it different than the VQ rides is that it has a huge physical queue.
Shall we take bets on whether the pricing is the same-ish as the current Genie+ or if it’s some multiple there of? My gut says it stays in the same ballpark, at least at first.
I’ll vote exactly the same on day one. Then adjusted as needed.
But with Genie+, you could EASILY get 3-4 of what are now Tier 1 attractions in a single day. I had days where I rode Test Track, Frozen, Runaway Railway and Smugglers Run, plus 3 or 4 lesser attractions using Genie.
Amen.
Genie plus made every park a “one-day park” if you hustled.

I’m glad it’s not changing in Disneyland because it’s the greatest thing in the world at Disneyland.
ETA: Those who international will not be able to book advanced until in the US.
New tourism campaign: NIAGARA FALLS! Come, Canada, make your fast pass selections as you watch the water fall!

So if your staying onsite would the strategy be rope drop to maybe get a couple rides off the bat. Then
have your 3 Genie+ booked. Also buy 2 ILL (because we will be there a limited time). Then book any other
genie rides you can?

We will be there in Dec so staying DVC will they still be offering the extended hours for MK and Epcot?
That would be one strategy that would work. Another would be use the prebookings so you don't need to rope drop. If you want to do all the major rides in a park in a single day, some combo of rope drop and Genie and ILL will be needed for sure.

Well I had wondered how long it would be until we got back to the days of planning ahead and not waking up at 7am.

https://disneyparksblog.com/wdw/pla...-entry-at-walt-disney-world-starting-july-24/

I have to say, as the guy who regularly handles lighting lane bookings for trips of 4 to 12 people, I am grateful to no longer have to do this on the fly.
we are taking another family of newbies in August - I am also grateful that I won't have to 7am it every.freaking.day.
not just the 2 they used to have with FP+.
Am I just old or was there a time with the old FP that there was no tiering??

Answer​

When you purchase a Lightning Lane Multi Pass for a theme park, you’ll be prompted to choose up to 3 multi pass experiences and arrival windows in the same theme park.
Once you redeem a selection on the day of your park visit, you can use the My Disney Experience app to choose another multi pass experience in any Walt Disney World theme park (subject to availability), as long as you have a valid ticket with the Park Hopper option or an Annual Pass.
The ability to visit another park is subject to the park’s capacity limitations.
As an AP holder who this last trip still had to make park reservations (and was a few hours too slow after TBA preview dates dropped), this is essentially a "park reservation" system back in place for anyone who chooses the buy the LLMP. I'm hopeful that it won't be too different for our park hopping days on our last trip. And on low crowd times, we only "needed" G+ for MK and HS. I'm still not sure I see that changing. If anything, this gives us more flexibility if we have hoppers and decide to hop - we can see later availability in other parks to decide where to go.

I have about 6 weeklong trips' worth of experience that tells me what Genie+ could deliver. And I fear this will be a lesser experience.

My fear is probably rooted in the assumption that more people will buy this new LL product since it eliminates pain points for some. And that Disney won't be able to resist the urge to sell more on days when it previously would have been sold out. Both of those factors mean less ride "spots" for people who buy.

For the past 3 years, EPCOT had a daily logjam around Test Track, Frozen and Remy. You could realistically ride 2 of the 3 with Genie in a single day. If you got really lucky (slow day), you could even get all 3. With the tiering, I don't see any way that it will be possible to ride more than 1 of the 3. I'd expect that all of the daily passes for TT, Frozen and Remy will be gone before arrival. (When TT reopens, of course)

It's probably more realistic to add some other Tier 1 like Runaway Railway or BTMR late in the day. But again, that depends how many daily LLMP Disney decides to sell. If everyone walking in the gate has the option to buy, it's going to be like the FP+ days where by noon, the only thing left were things like Laugh Floor, Turtle Talk and Disney Junior.

Don't forget that Disney has 5 attractions in a completely separate tier. In the FP+ days, people would also be using their Tier 1 reservations for Rise, TRON, GOTG and others. Now those attractions are off the table, in their own separate grouping.
I understand your point, however, I had multiple weeklong trips under FP+ and Genie+. I’d say under both systems I got about the same tier 1 rides.

And since FP+ there are two new rides at Epcot (only 1 is the extra). MK has 1 new ride (but two in the extra cost). HS essentially has 3 new rides (but 1 only is extra cost). So capacity has significantly increased and ride count between FP+ and LLMP is about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest