Facebook Jail

Absolutely. However, right now Neighborhood Watch moderators are having a tough time staying out of Facebook Jail. People can no longer post their Ring etc. videos of crimes unless they cover up license plate numbers of the suspects car! A great use for Facebook now prohibited. What good is posting crime videos if you can't post the license plate of the suspects car!
My experience as a RING owner is that about 99% of the posted “crimes” are not crimes. They are suspicions or people reading into things that aren’t there. You think people have no lives on FB/Twitter etc. try the Ring app. Good grief it’s ridiculous. I can see why those protocols are put in place. You could destroy someone’s life because they rang your doorbell. Plus, you can send your Ring footage right to the police and you can grant them full time access if you want. Bottom line, posting your Ring videos to FB won’t do anything. Hand em over to the cops if you think have something.

As for the original post, private company, their rules.

Yet every single time I report the R word as hate speech, they say it doesn't go against their community standards and they NEVER remove the comments
I wonder if it's because of the context of the comments

FB says hate speech is "We define hate speech as a direct attack against people — rather than concepts or institutions— on the basis of what we call protected characteristics: race, ethnicity, national origin, disability, religious affiliation, caste, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity and serious disease. We define attacks as violent or dehumanizing speech, harmful stereotypes, statements of inferiority, expressions of contempt, disgust or dismissal, cursing and calls for exclusion or segregation. We also prohibit the use of harmful stereotypes, which we define as dehumanizing comparisons that have historically been used to attack, intimidate, or exclude specific groups, and that are often linked with offline violence. We consider age a protected characteristic when referenced along with another protected characteristic. We also protect refugees, migrants, immigrants and asylum seekers from the most severe attacks, though we do allow commentary and criticism of immigration policies. Similarly, we provide some protections for characteristics like occupation, when they’re referenced along with a protected characteristic."

Maybe in whomever is reading it when it gets reported doesn't meet the definition of hate speech. I can absolutely see how using the term can be against their standards so either it's always being overlooked or there's something in the way the comments are phrased and used that means they are awful but aren't actually against their standards. But I also think FB has a long way to go and they try to tread too carefully sometimes in not taking action.

if the R word is what I think I don’t agree with fb

Well, it also is an avenue for private citizens to vent frustration. Voters here passed a measure saying crimes where the loss is less than $950 should not be prosecuted. An effort to ease overcrowding in jails and prisons. Most of these crimes involve crimes where the loss is less than $950, so police won't take a report, and they don't take a report because the District Attorney won't prosecute, because the voters said it wasn't worth their time.
I think I’ll come there to do my Christmas shopping.

My experience as a RING owner is that about 99% of the posted “crimes” are not crimes. They are suspicions or people reading into things that aren’t there. You think people have no lives on FB/Twitter etc. try the Ring app. Good grief it’s ridiculous. I can see why those protocols are put in place. You could destroy someone’s life because they rang your doorbell. Plus, you can send your Ring footage right to the police and you can grant them full time access if you want. Bottom line, posting your Ring videos to FB won’t do anything. Hand em over to the cops if you think have something.

As for the original post, private company, their rules.

OMG, yes! All the posts of, “have you seen this suspicious person who rang my doorbell today?”
Suspicious how?

I’ve also noticed many businesses use Facebook as their “website”.
TV stations are almost all on Facebook too, as well was having a website. Gotta go where the people are. Facebook skews older......older people have money......advertisers like people with money

My kids are special needs and it infuriates me. The ones using it are calling people R to imply they're stupid. I don't understand how that is not hate speech.

Join the club I have a physical disability and learning one and I have been called smart so as you can see we are on the same page

Yet every single time I report the R word as hate speech, they say it doesn't go against their community standards and they NEVER remove the comments
That’s because for Hate Speech, Facebook moderators are supposed to go off a list of words or certain phrases against a specific groups. If someone said something g derogatory using the r word it might be taken down. Usually it’s just taken as bullying and bullying rules are a joke on Facebook.

That’s because for Hate Speech, Facebook moderators are supposed to go off a list of words or certain phrases against a specific groups. If someone said something g derogatory using the r word it might be taken down. Usually it’s just taken as bullying and bullying rules are a joke on Facebook.

I don’t want to sound like a snowflake but how do I petition the R word to be added to the list

Oh? I once reported a post for the R word. The post was removed but I have no idea if the poster received any penalty.

Why not just leave if your don’t like their rules? Going to the trouble of getting permanently banned seems silly.

For the most part, I agree with their rules, but IMO they're not applied consistently. Comments much worse are quite acceptable according to their algorithms. If I want to get myself banned, that's my choice. It might make me feel better and that's all that counts.

Last night I noticed a comment that has since been deleted. Calling me a real peach. I didn't report it. Either someone else did or a Mod deleted it on his/her own.

Drats!!! I was all prepared to respond today. But then maybe <I> may have gotten DIS jail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter