Extremely Upset & In Shock with Chef Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused3

If a child cried over a cake that had to be placed on a table, we would call it a tantrum.

I guess I just don't get the big deal here:confused3 OP, I am sure you are nice, but I do feel sorry for people who have to deal with adults crying over a 7 year old that had to witness her birthday cake before the end of the meal:confused:

Thank you, WDW Cast Members for all that you do:worship:

I do not consider this a tantrum at all. She was not screaming, laying in the floor kicking and screaming or even really causing a scene. She was upset and lots of people cry when they are upset. She had gone above and beyond to make this dinner special for this child and all she saw at that moment was her plan being derailed. I think I would have been crying right along with her.

I am not sure I could expect a buffet to supply plates. I do wish the manager had been a little more creative once it was established to the OP that they'd need to keep their cake at the table. It does sound like she was more upset about possibly presenting the cake from a cardboard box than anything else but surely it could have been transferred to a plate somewhere out of the sight of the birthday girl.

Very true, I think the OP's mind got stuck inside that box when the manager said it had to be on the table. All he had to say was take it out of the box and use it as a centerpiece. At that point, I think the situation would have been neutralized and would have ended on a better note.

:confused3

If a child cried over a cake that had to be placed on a table, we would call it a tantrum.

I guess I just don't get the big deal here:confused3 OP, I am sure you are nice, but I do feel sorry for people who have to deal with adults crying over a 7 year old that had to witness her birthday cake before the end of the meal:confused:

Thank you, WDW Cast Members for all that you do:worship:

Yes, thanks cast members. And the OP did thank cast members, the ones that were nice to her. They didn't give her everything she wanted, they were nice, and that's what mattered. And thank you, OP, for helping me to learn something new everyday. As for the above quote, the OP went into great detail to further explain her state of mind due to misinterpretations of the original post. Do you really still feel the need to be snarky? She vented. Some of us agreed, some didn't. Was this necessary, geez, have you never vented? This has happened to me here as well, and after a while it's just beating people up. I understand pointing things out nicely that maybe the OP wasn't aware of, but geez!

Rule #1 and Rule #2 are absolutely true. If you do not believe that, you either do not work in a service industry, or should not.

Even if a customer wants something that cannot happen, for whatever reason, there is almost always some way to make it better for them. Obviously, there were ways around the problem that would not have violated the health code, since the CM downstairs found one. A creative manager could probably have thought of a couple more.

And yes, that kind of problem solving is part of his job, and seems to be something that a lot of Disney CM's excel at. Magical service is a big part of the lure of WDW. Whether you think the OP's expectation was reasonable or not, this is a description of decidedly unmagical service.

BTW, I have read a lot of complaints about brusque service and various glitches at Chef Mickey's, which has made me somewhat inclined to skip the place. I'm sure the lateness of the hour didn't help either, both with the selection and the staff's temperament, but that's not an excuse either, and if it's a consistent problem at late serving times at Chef Mickey's Disney needs to find some way to address it.

In contrast to this story, on our last visit, we stopped at Main Street Bakery after Wishes (no Spectromagic that night) and found a wide selection of light meal items on display, which we consumed in an unhurried fashion. We were actually advised by a cheerful staff member that there was no need for speed and we should sit and enjoy since they'd be there for hours yet. That's Disney service, with no "special" treatment.

Agreed! And yes, skip it. It is part of his job. At some point we decided that customer service didn't matter. And it does, and it makes a difference. His job is not simply day to day operations, but customer service as well. Having been a General Manager and District Manager for the last 10 years, I can assure that customer service in some way is in his job description.

I am not sure I could expect a buffet to supply plates. I do wish the manager had been a little more creative once it was established to the OP that they'd need to keep their cake at the table. It does sound like she was more upset about possibly presenting the cake from a cardboard box than anything else but surely it could have been transferred to a plate somewhere out of the sight of the birthday girl.

Either the folks at Boardwalk didn't know or didn't catch that their intention was to bring the cake into a restaurant. Boardwalk Bakery staff may not even know you can't bring a cake into a restaurant. Maybe they need a sign that says cakes purchased there cannot be brought into restaurants.

Hey Nala! Yes, you should expect them to provide plates. Whether a buffet or full service, you should still expect them to provide plates, smiles, drink refills, manners, and overall customer service.

OP - I thank you again for the education in what to do. I have a MIL that I am trying to save for a birthday surprise at WDW in January, I will definitely save this thread!:hippie:

so, if you had it to do over, would you get a cake or just let it be?

(i know it does not always translate, but this was asked in a completely non-snarky, just curious kind of voice :cutie:)

I would definitely get a cake if I had to do it all over again and will be getting one in a few months actually. All things aside she didn't know better and her face was priceless and that's really all we wanted.

I am also very thankful for WDW cast members and all they do and that is why I have a memo on my blackberry for just that which currently has the name of one of our bus drivers this past trip. I have his full name as well as bus number which is apparently useful information for his superiors to know who he is. They also received a phone call from me first thing the morning after we had him to let them know how wonderful he was especially at a time when I'm sure the bus drivers need a little pick me up in light of what recently happened. :)

Also does anyone know how things work with the Swan and Dolphin? I know it technically isn't a Disney resort but still share a lot of the perks. I want to order a cake but haven't decided to where yet. Will the boardwalk bakery deliver to the Swan and Dolphin rooms or even one of their restaurants? Also for Cape May I assume the boardwalk bakery delivers...am I wrong?

Thanks guys

OP: Glad it finally worked out for you.

Perhaps the Bakery did not offer to bring it because they did not have the time too, that is usually arranged beforehand. :confused3 So, that option may not have been offered for that reason.

As far as CM goes, we have not gone and food selections generally speaking have gotten "leaner" per what I hear here on boards, but I also assume you knew what they'd have. We always check the menu's as we have a "picky one" :rotfl2: Glad you found something to eat:rotfl2:

The "no outside food rule" is prevalent everywhere and is dictated by the state not the restaurant or Disney. The CM manager prob did not even think to go ask at another place. Giving them perhaps more credit, perhaps they had not run into this before???? For me, I would have just put it/box at the other end of the table away from the child. The table had to have been pretty large for your group, right? At least you were on your feet about "further" trying (and somewhat succeeding) to get help to your satisfaction.
I am not all too sure that they were in the "wrong" but certainly, they could have made YOU feel better about the situation by being empathetic and more "on the ball" as they say regarding holding your cake. Glad that was yummy bv the way.
Whatever the case, I am so glad that it all worked out. Poor service stinks, whenever that happens, frustrating, totally agree! And your right is to choose not to return. Don't give them your money, drop them a note and say why if that'll make it better for you :confused3
I am sure others here appreciate your candor in the Disney handling.

We did order a cake and had it delivered to Whisp Canyon (the Big mickey cake) and it was PERFECT, but boy that was the wrong place to choose that night, we were all so stuffed, :rotfl2: we "forced" the kids to eat some:lmao: literally slivers and had like a whole cake left. After mentioning that to the CM, we were gonna just offer it up to the table next to ours (who we chatted with earlier and came from same state as us) and CM suggested we "donate" the cake to the staff. Thats what we did! BOY, they thanked us and we all enjoyed "paying it forward" as they say.
So, again, glad it worked out in the end, though certainly not smoothly :hug:. I am sure the birthday girl and others were so appreciative of the whole celebration, they probably noticed this all Much less than you! ;)

She had gone above and beyond to make this dinner special for this child and all she saw at that moment was her plan being derailed. I think I would have been crying right along with her.

Really? You would cry because a seven year old child would have their birthday cake sitting on the table? Because she had to see her cake earlier than you had planned? That would be a "derailment" of plans worthy of tears?

Maybe I am weird. I couldn' t imagine crying over that.

Everyone is different, I suppose.

Really? You would cry because a seven year old child would have their birthday cake sitting on the table? Because she had to see her cake earlier than you had planned?

When you're in the Disney bubble, you expect everything to be perfect. To make a comparison, what if you were proposing to your girlfriend/boyfriend, and the server told you to leave the ring on the table?

Buffets are get your own plates. I can't blame the restaurant for not bringing plates to the table for the outside cake. Everything else, sure. Also don't understand the reluctance to go get the plates - that's normal at a buffet.

There's some rudeness still going on in this thread. I would still like to leave it open as it's useful, but the bickering could still get it locked. The OP's emotions aren't up for debate.

Not sure the engagement ring example is relevant. An engagement ring is not a cake - it isn't food and they could probably take it anywhere they want. Most people who want to stage a proposal contact the restaurant ahead of time or take the server/manager aside and say what it is they want to do.

Hey Nala,

I guess the plate thing must be only here in NC. In the county I live in they cannot keep plates on the buffet. They must bring you plates to your table to ensure that you are using a new plate every trip. That is why I answered that yes they should bring plates. At any rate, I think if a customer asks for plates, the proper response would be to bring them.

I hope that my previous post isn't the one you considered rude. I agree with you in that some of the posts have been very rude, and if I came across that way I to anyone I apologize :hippie:.

I just felt I needed to stand up for OP after she went to so much trouble to explain herself again.

Perhaps the OP had unrealistic expectations of how this would work at a buffet restaurant where you are bringing in an outside cake...BUT, Disney could do a heck of a lot better about their cake ordering process. Have you tried to do that? I've done it twice, and it is not easy or straightforward at all, and for the price you pay for a custom cake, it seems like they could do better.

I can totally understand thinking that a cake made at a Disney bakery would not be an "outside" cake or not even knowing about that rule. This isn't something most people do on any kind of routine basis. The OP didn't get mad when told they couldn't take it to the kitchen and serve it, just wanted options for what they could do. Its a shame no one thought of just using it as a centerpiece, but I can't fault CM for that since putting it on the table was suggested and the OP indicated she wanted the surprise factor. I can see how you wouldn't even think to then say to use it as a centerpiece. Sounds like a compromise was found that worked, while not perfectly, certainly well enough under the circumstances and the child was delighted. I sympathize with the OP, who was trying to do something nice for a child not her own. Sometimes, we get a little more concerned with snafus in a situation like that than if it were for our own kid.

I'm glad the OP shared her story. Maybe it will help someone else plan.

Maybe we vary in how we interpret #2. Of course customers sometimes want things that can't happen, and sometimes behave badly as well. They still have a fundamental right to have their needs and concerns addressed to the best of the service provider's ability, really as long as their behavior does not border on the illegal, immoral, or highly detrimental to the experience of other customers.

At my job we have been known to say, "they're customers, of course they don't know any better!" There are moments when I think that the act of entering a store, restaurant, etc., causes some otherwise rational people to take leave of their senses. Not mention a handful of individuals who are just determined to be miserable and would like other people to join them.

Still, it is the responsibility of anyone in a service industry to attempt to please their customers as best they can, and attempt to work within the rules to accomplish that. Personally, I always find it rewarding to succeed in pleasing a really difficult customer, since I feel if you can do that, you can make anybody happy.

I guess the plate thing must be only here in NC. In the county I live in they cannot keep plates on the buffet. They must bring you plates to your table to ensure that you are using a new plate every trip.

Oh I see - that's one rule they don't have at Disney. It's not like the OP didn't have access to plates, she said she thought it was awkward to get so many plates from the buffet. That was her opinion, but it wouldn't have occurred to me, I'd have gone to get the plates.

When you're in the Disney bubble, you expect everything to be perfect. To make a comparison, what if you were proposing to your girlfriend/boyfriend, and the server told you to leave the ring on the table?

Exactly! Disney can be highly emotional on many aspects for lots of families. They have plans for those magical moments and when the least little thing happens, it can be emotionally overwhelming.

Really? You would cry because a seven year old child would have their birthday cake sitting on the table? Because she had to see her cake earlier than you had planned? That would be a "derailment" of plans worthy of tears?

If I thought my only option was the have a big, ugly cardboard box sitting on our table, yep, I'd probably be crying too. It's not an issue of the child seeing the cake too soon, it's an issue of presentation...she was wanting that priceless moment and a box on the table was not going to provide that.

Maybe we vary in how we interpret #2. Of course customers sometimes want things that can't happen, and sometimes behave badly as well. They still have a fundamental right to have their needs and concerns addressed to the best of the service provider's ability, really as long as their behavior does not border on the illegal, immoral, or highly detrimental to the experience of other customers.

At my job we have been known to say, "they're customers, of course they don't know any better!" There are moments when I think that the act of entering a store, restaurant, etc., causes some otherwise rational people to take leave of their senses. Not mention a handful of individuals who are just determined to be miserable and would like other people to join them.

Still, it is the responsibility of anyone in a service industry to attempt to please their customers as best they can, and attempt to work within the rules to accomplish that. Personally, I always find it rewarding to succeed in pleasing a really difficult customer, since I feel if you can do that, you can make anybody happy.

;):goodvibes

Just to answer questions from above (sorry, my computer isn't set up to quote without showing all kinds of codes in the quotation, and I don't know how to change my settings to fix it!).

At Macaroni Grill, I believe the party itself had the cake in a box that was then in a bag on a spare chair. No, the restaurant staff didn't bring it out. Yes, the staff sang happy birthday -- and we joined in. Yes, the staff produced plates, forks and a knife.

I guess it probably all boils down to lawsuits. Most likely, the health code does prohibit mixing outside food in the kitchen. Interestingly, the health code does not prohibit non-employees from the kitchen -- witness V&A Chef's Table, which is now in an alcove somewhat separated from the kitchen but used to be right in the kitchen. I certainly could have had crackers in my pocket when we ate in the kitchen (though why I would do that I don't know)!

As for taking the cake and holding it outside a refrigerator, Disney probably worries that, if the cake has cream in it, and someone gets sick due to the cream having turned, they'll -- yep -- sue Disney.

So, sad as it is, I guess the OP's experience reflects the general state of litigation risk in this country.

Nonetheless, a Disney employee finally did assist, so who knows?

With the advent of the DDP, restaurants are jam-packed, staff are completely stretched to the max, and the ability to provide the niceties of customer service is gone.

I recall a lovely evening some years back at Chefs de France. A friend and I and her two children walked in about 8:30 p.m. for dinner. One could actually walk in then. The restaurant was not crowded, the food was delicious and near 9 pm the sweet waitress set the kids up at their own table by the window so they could see some of Illuminations.

Ahhhhh for the old days! I guess these days, trying to plan a celebration at a Disney restaurant is a crap shoot.

Very sorry for the OP's experience. I must say the cake was gorgeous (but for $120 I guess it should have been.)

Some of us are "chastising" the OP for being "upset & in Shock" when the restaurant refused to violate their policy, and board of health regulations. Instead of thanking the restaurant for making a reasonable compromise she is attacking the restaurant for not doing things exactly the way she wanted.

It would never occur to me to bring any outside food,excluding food for an infant, to a restaurant. I would never consider it acceptable to bring my own food for the sole purpose of saving money. Maybe different if you needed to bring something the restaurant was unable to provide. Family member with some food allergies. I'd ask first.

I understand the OP didn't think to ask first. I don't understand what the OP wanted the restaurant to do. Letting her take the cake to the table was a very reasonable compromise. Asking the manager to violate Disney policy and board of health rules was not reasonable. Other restaurants would have told you to put the cake in your car. Enjoy your food in your home and enjoy our food in our restaurant.

JMO but the OP should be thanking Chef Mickey's, and the Contemporary, for offering some solutions to her problem. I have an issue with her using these boards for attacking the restaurant.

I'll stay out of this thread. I expressed my opinion.

People reading this thread are aware of the potential issues in bringing outside food to a restaurant.

All I can say is "WOW". Her problem? Isn't Disney about "Celebrating"? In fact they incourage it! They always ask me what will you be celebrating during your visit when I make dining and or resort reservations. The OP was in a dilema. The manager could have come up with a better solution, after all she was spending over $700.00 for a meal. Instead of chastising the OP why don't we offer her other solutions and or tips. Some people just love to get in attack mode, and I will never understand it. :confused3 As mentioned by another poster the manager at 1900 Park Fare, came up with a better solution to the customers issue. The paying customer was not in tears like the OP. Isn't WDW supposed to be a magical place. Can't the "rules" be bent a little. It was a 7 year old child's birthday and the OP didn't want to ruin her surprise by putting the cake on the table. Also, unless I'm blind, didn't the OP cut the cake, I don't believe she needed the waitress to cut the cake, did she? The manager should be reprimanded along with the waitress. They both acted less than stellar. Shame on them both.

OP, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Lessons learned I guess.

TDC Nala - :thumbsup2 THANK YOU!

Other restaurants would have suggested returning your outside cake to your car.

This is exactly the first thing that came to mind for me. If I bought a cake from establishment A and brought it to establishment B (even if they were under the same corporate umbrella) I would expect management at establishment B to laugh themselves silly when I attempted to bring the cake in, especially if they serve the same thing.

Imagine someone getting a dessert to go at Red Lobster and bringing it to Longhorn Steakhouse because Red Lobster has less expensive desserts. They then ask them to keep it in their kitchen and serve it to them. Both are owned by the same company, just like the two completely separate establishments in the OP.

I'm glad that in the end they found accommodations and perhaps the manager could have communicated better in the first place but I don't know of many restaurants allowing you to bring in a cake. Yes, some do, but that is their discretion and usually they don't offer full cakes themselves.

Oh come on guys you don't have to attack each other or bicker. I don't think they meant cry for that literally. Honestly I wasn't sobbing uncontrollably I am not a big crier but when I get mad or frustrated which doesn't happen often the tears role and sometimes that's just out of your control. I was just upset because it seemed like everything that was planned for some time was falling apart and for the life of me I couldn't come up with a solution. It was just that helpless feeling that did me in especially since I am always so well prepared that I have itineraries written.

I am glad the moderator hasn't closed the thread because I still feel that we can all learn a lot from other people's experiences. If you have any cake ordering stories good or bad please post or even stories of traveling with a big group to disney when it comes to dinner.

Thanks

Also does anyone know how things work with the Swan and Dolphin? I know it technically isn't a Disney resort but still share a lot of the perks. I want to order a cake but haven't decided to where yet. Will the boardwalk bakery deliver to the Swan and Dolphin rooms or even one of their restaurants? Also for Cape May I assume the boardwalk bakery delivers...am I wrong?

Thanks guys

I don't want to sound rude but the Swan Dolphin don't share many of the "perks". S/D guests can't have park purchases delivered to their resort and can't charge Disney purchases/meals to their room. I doubt the restaurants at the S/D get their food through Disney and I don't know if they use Disney bakeries.

A suggestion. Call the restaurant, or group sales/dining if your group is large enough. Explain exactly what you're looking for and ask what's the best way to make it happen. Once you tell them what kind of cake you're looking for they'll tell you if whatever bakery they use will be able to accommodate your request. You can ask about the Boardwalk Bakery. They'll tell you if the restaurant will accept delivery of a cake from the Boardwalk Bakery and how much the restaurant will charge to serve your cake (assuming there is a charge).

A suggestion regarding cost. Divide the cost of the cake by the number of people in your group (assuming the cake is large enough). Is that number similar to what desserts cost in that restaurant? Then the price is probably "reasonable".

Shula's has 4 private dining rooms that seat 15 and 4 semi-private dining rooms that seat 12 to 54. Other restaurants in the S/D have private and semi-private dining rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter