Expected changes when cruises resume

iZon

Mouseketeer
1. We are two people usually seated at a table for six. It’s fun to meet fellow cruisers and have dinner mates to chat with. However, we may consider requesting a private table next time. I wonder if these requests will increase and if the dining rooms will be able to accommodate them?

1. We are two people usually seated at a table for six. It’s fun to meet fellow cruisers and have dinner mates to chat with. However, we may consider requesting a private table next time. I wonder if these requests will increase and if the dining rooms will be able to accommodate them?
Request is never guaranteed so it’s not necessary to accommodate all the requests.

Yup lots of changes.

55c4e61714000077002e2518.jpeg

Requests might increase, but the MDRS will not be able to accommodate all of them.

I could see them definitely making the change so that people don't sit with strangers. I feel like many people want to sit alone before this happened so it was already heading in that direction.

I could see them definitely making the change so that people don't sit with strangers. I feel like many people want to sit alone before this happened so it was already heading in that direction.
I wouldn't be surprised if the three upcoming ships are designed in a way to make private dining the norm. So many people request it, and they already moved a bit closer to that with the Dream class ships.
I'll just point out, even if they could make all the tables "private" the spacing between tables now is minimal (at best). We might as well have been seated with the two table on either side of us on our Fantasy & Dream cruises. The table edges were only about 10 inches apart. And that's with tables that seat 4/6/8. Separating tables into tables of 2 would eat up more space.

There are a lot of restaurants(not on cruise ships) that have two-tops so close together it's awkward to have a conversation with the person sitting across from you. Social rules dictate that you not strike up a conversation with the people at the other tables, unless of course, you have something very interesting to say. At least on the cruise, they put everyone at the same table to remove the awkwardness and encourage you to talk to one another.

Reactions: eva
Honestly I think it should be a request to actually sit with other families and single rooms or shared reservations seated together should be the norm. Our worst experiences during dinners have been when we had tablemates. I always disliked feeling the need to make small talk with the other family. If you have your own table and happen to strike up a conversation with another table to me that is different because it is optional. When you share a table with others it would be considered rude to ignore them and just talk to your own family. This is from an introverts prospective who is a wall hugger during social events;)

2. ?

When cruising gets back going, the only thing I expect to change is short term people will wash their hands more than normal. As time goes on you will see people forget to do this of course. What I see cruise lines changing is how often they clean, they may clean more often moving forward. Other than that we will be back to normal cruising.

There are a lot of restaurants(not on cruise ships) that have two-tops so close together it's awkward to have a conversation with the person sitting across from you. Social rules dictate that you not strike up a conversation with the people at the other tables, unless of course, you have something very interesting to say. At least on the cruise, they put everyone at the same table to remove the awkwardness and encourage you to talk to one another.
I feel the complete opposite. I think that by having a tiny bit of separation you’re not socially bound to talk to strangers. You also don’t have to all order together, etc. I can happily ignore the people sitting a few inches away.

I think there will be more requests, but unless they order 2 top tables, it won't be easy to fill the requests. Also, as pointed out, the tables are put very closely together. I recommend second seating if you want to increase your chances to sit alone.

At the bare minimum, there will be no more self-serve at buffets/ice cream stations for a long time. DCL was already on top of people using hand sanitizer/washing before entering the restaurants/kids clubs/getting onboard, so I'm not sure what more they could do to encourage hygiene in that respect. I could see them suspending shows in the theaters for a prolonged period, or limiting the audience size for shows by say, having only one production per sailing that repeats every night, giving out free "tickets" so everyone has a chance to see the show once, and having people space themselves out in the theatre. Also, I think character greetings could be suspended for a long time, definitely no hugging anymore. It's heartbreaking, but necessary. There was a moment on our cruise when my son was crying about something, and Cinderella, who had been on her way somewhere, stopped and called him a little prince and hugged him and cheered him right up. It's such a sweet memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!