Everything PhotoPass & Memory Maker

I apologize if this has been asked already, but does every ride (that has a picture) automatically take the photo & add it to your account? Or more clearly asking, do I physically need to scan my band at any of the rides that take the photo pass pic? Thanks so much! Last time I was at DW you still needed to scan your Magic Band ( the 1.0 versions) or at least I thought that was the case.

I apologize if this has been asked already, but does every ride (that has a picture) automatically take the photo & add it to your account? Or more clearly asking, do I physically need to scan my band at any of the rides that take the photo pass pic? Thanks so much! Last time I was at DW you still needed to scan your Magic Band ( the 1.0 versions) or at least I thought that was the case.
If the battery in your MB is working (if you are using a fairly newer MB), it will take photos automically. No need to scan anything.

I have question on using the Memory Maker when you get it via Annual Pass.

If I have an AP .. I can download all my friends and family photos for them for the entire year, even if I am not on the trip with them?

I am getting the AP in November potentially and coincidentally, my sisters family and my sister-in-laws family are also planning family trips in 2019.
Since our MDE accounts are linked (or will be), I will be able to see their photos and download them for free for them. Correct?

Long story short:
If I have an AP, my family and friends in MDE do not need to get Memory Maker for their trips over that year even if I dont tour with them. Correct?

We had brand new magic bands and for some reason the ride photo on Test Track didn't pick up. After that we tapped one of our bands to the photo when the was a tap point just to be sure, which is why we typically ended up with an extra copy most of the time. I was able to file a missing photo request with Photopass and they added the Test Track photos to my account. I'm not sure if this was just a fluke that day or not.

I have question on using the Memory Maker when you get it via Annual Pass.

If I have an AP .. I can download all my friends and family photos for them for the entire year, even if I am not on the trip with them?

I am getting the AP in November potentially and coincidentally, my sisters family and my sister-in-laws family are also planning family trips in 2019.
Since our MDE accounts are linked (or will be), I will be able to see their photos and download them for free for them. Correct?

Long story short:
If I have an AP, my family and friends in MDE do not need to get Memory Maker for their trips over that year even if I dont tour with them. Correct?

As long as everyone is linked to your MDE and they have all given you permission to view and download their photos (it may say "share" photos, can't remember offhand), yes, you'll be able to see, download and share photos of their trips even when you're not there.

I have always had my ride photos show up, but have read random reports of people not receiving theirs, so the suggestion is that you go ahead and tap on any ride where that is an option, just to be sure you get your photos.

AP holders can download photos from any of their friends and family whom are connected via MDE with the Photopass sharing option checked, whether the AP holder is in the park or not.

I apologize if this has been asked already, but does every ride (that has a picture) automatically take the photo & add it to your account?

At Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, I had to tap my band to the screen that was showing my photo after exiting the ride.

MM without a Magic Band:
5 people going and my mom will be the one to buy the MM. It is the military discount, so won't be purchased until we arrive at The World. We are staying as SOG, so none of us have magic bands. They (mom and dad) and us (DH, DD, and myself) are linked in MDE. All "green boxes" are filled in to share photos.

At the first photo, we get a card from the photographer. They scan that same card at every photo-stop.
A. Should we get a card for each person, so that whether we are together or apart we can each get photos and then load all pictures into the system?
B. If the above is correct, then do we just link the photopass cards (all5 of them) into my Mom's account and then the photographer scans whatever card is handed to them and the photos all upload to Mom's MDE account?
C. For ride photos, how do we get them loaded into the system without the automatic loading associated with the magic bands? Do we tap something with our park ticket?
D. Someone seemed to indicate that you have to scan your MB to get it to take your picture on a ride in the first place. I thought that the rides took pictures of everyone, but you have to manually "claim" your picture if you don't have a MB. Or do I need to scan my park ticket somewhere? Or link some code? To get it to take a photo at all?
E. Are there photopass photographers in the resorts, or just in the parks? We have some resort days and would love some resort family photos.

THANKS TO EVERYONE! Only FIVE more days...

Last edited:
MM without a Magic Band:
5 people going and my mom will be the one to buy the MM. It is the military discount, so won't be purchased until we arrive at The World. We are staying as SOG, so none of us have magic bands. They (mom and dad) and us (DH, DD, and myself) are linked in MDE. All "green boxes" are filled in to share photos.

At the first photo, we get a card from the photographer. They scan that same card at every photo-stop.
A. Should we get a card for each person, so that whether we are together or apart we can each get photos and then load all pictures into the system?
B. If the above is correct, then do we just link the photopass cards (all5 of them) into my Mom's account and then the photographer scans whatever card is handed to them and the photos all upload to Mom's MDE account?
C. For ride photos, how do we get them loaded into the system without the automatic loading associated with the magic bands? Do we tap something with our park ticket?
D. Someone seemed to indicate that you have to scan your MB to get it to take your picture on a ride in the first place. I thought that the rides took pictures of everyone, but you have to manually "claim" your picture if you don't have a MB. Or do I need to scan my park ticket somewhere? Or link some code? To get it to take a photo at all?
E. Are there photopass photographers in the resorts, or just in the parks? We have some resort days and would love some resort family photos.

THANKS TO EVERYONE! Only FIVE more days...

A. At any point that anyone in the group goes to get a photo taken by themselves, they can simply as the Photopass Photographer for a card.

B. You can link the cards to your mothers Photopass account at any time, even after you get home. The photos will be connected to the card, and then the card can be connected to the account.

C. SOME of the rides have a set of screens / touch points after the ride, where you can claim your photo. Other rides do not, and I am not aware of any way to claim those photos without having a Magic Band.

D. The rides take photos of everyone. The only reason for the band is so that the system can identify you and connect your photo to your account. Likewise, as I stated above, that can also be done manually at touch points after some of the rides (Buzz Lightyear comes to mind as one where you can claim your photo after the ride)

E. That is a great question. I know that you can have photos taken at the resort via the Fine Art Photography for an additional charge. I don't believe I have ever seen a Photopass photographer at a resort aside from some of the meals where your photo is taken as part of the package (Chef Mickey's for example)

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/fine-art-photography-video/

As long as everyone is linked to your MDE and they have all given you permission to view and download their photos (it may say "share" photos, can't remember offhand), yes, you'll be able to see, download and share photos of their trips even when you're not there.
Thanks -- that is how it worked on our trips in the past. I've always shared a memory maker with another family that was going with us, but was wondering if it worked differently with an AP.

What a great way to save my family some money! Instead of each of them paying $160 for their own Memory Maker, then can just use mine and throw me some money if they feel inclined to reimburse me for the service.

Now I just have to resist the temptation to meet up with both of them for their trips -- otherwise I'll end up going to WDW every 2 months (not bad considering we are a 9 hour drive away), but having to potentially pull my son out of school on three separate occassions may be a bit excessive! Heh.

A. At any point that anyone in the group goes to get a photo taken by themselves, they can simply as the Photopass Photographer for a card.

B. You can link the cards to your mothers Photopass account at any time, even after you get home. The photos will be connected to the card, and then the card can be connected to the account.

C. SOME of the rides have a set of screens / touch points after the ride, where you can claim your photo. Other rides do not, and I am not aware of any way to claim those photos without having a Magic Band.

D. The rides take photos of everyone. The only reason for the band is so that the system can identify you and connect your photo to your account. Likewise, as I stated above, that can also be done manually at touch points after some of the rides (Buzz Lightyear comes to mind as one where you can claim your photo after the ride)

E. That is a great question. I know that you can have photos taken at the resort via the Fine Art Photography for an additional charge. I don't believe I have ever seen a Photopass photographer at a resort aside from some of the meals where your photo is taken as part of the package (Chef Mickey's for example)

Just want to clarify that each person should get their own card. No one needs to ask the photographer for a card every time they get a picture taken, use the same card repeatedly however if you loose your card, that's a bigger issue. I believe Disney recommends you take a photo of your card for that reason.

They use to have photographers at the resort for free but they found out it's better to charge you for this service so yes, it still exists but now you pay for it and you have to reserve your date & time.

Just want to clarify that each person should get their own card. No one needs to ask the photographer for a card every time they get a picture taken, use the same card repeatedly however if you loose your card, that's a bigger issue. I believe Disney recommends you take a photo of your card for that reason.
Thanks for the clarification. That didn't come out as clearly as it should have when I wrote it!

I've been trying to familiarize myself with Memory Maker on the Memory Maker thread (which has been very informative and helpful!) but I still have a few questions. I apologize if these have already been asked, I only was able to read through the first 7 pages! I did post this over there last night, but thought I just post it as a new topic as well in case it gets seen quicker.

1. I pretty much understand that the MM needs to be linked/associated with 1 person, but what exactly does that mean? Let's say our group of 9 people are together in a park and we want to get a picture taken... does that mean that only the person who's associated with MM can use their magic band to get the group's picture taken? Or can anyone in the group use their magic band to do so (as long as they've been linked to the main person's account)?

At first we were just going to associate my mom with the MM since she's the one who purchased it, but she's a little less active than the rest of us and there may be times she might want to hang back at the hotel to rest, or she may come back from the park early while others in our group stay out late. In those cases, we want to still be able to use the MM without her being there but don't know if that's possible if we cannot physically scan her magic band. I'm assuming that assigning a person to MM simply is to determine whose magic band gets to be scanned and has no bearing on who actually purchased the MM?

2. This question is sort of dependent upon the answer to the first, but assuming that other people in our group can in fact use their own magic bands to use the MM my mom purchased, will their photos show up on my mom's My Disney Experience or only on their own account when they log themselves in?

3. I read that ride photos should automatically show up on MM but just to be sure, you can still scan the magic band and the worse thing that can happen is that a duplicate photo will show up. My question is how do the correct ride photos get added to our MM if you don't have to scan the band? How does it know which photos are ours, especially since we have 9 people in our party and we'll have multiple pictures for each ride? Wouldn't you have to do something after you get off the ride, like go to a computer monitor or CM behind the counter to select the photos you want? (Sorry if these questions sound silly. We haven't been to Disney for over 12 years and everything is so different; I'm trying to understand how it all works!)

4. I understand that once you get home from the trip that's when you can modify and edit the photos up to a certain number of days (not sure if it's 30 days or 45 days), but what exactly is included in the $169 price? Is it the simply the ability to digitally download the photos? I'm assuming they're high resolution? Is there any limit to how many photos out of the whole lot you're allowed to download? Are there any hard copy prints or other products that are included in that price? (I'm assuming not, but just want to make sure.) Do you get anything physical, like a CD of all the images? Just trying to know what to expect.

5. Can you view the photos in MDE app daily throughout your vacation or do they only show up once your trip is over?

TIA for any info you can help me with! My mom purchased Memory Maker but I really haven't had much of a clue about it, and now she's put me in charge of managing it, lol!

I've been trying to familiarize myself with Memory Maker on the Memory Maker thread (which has been very informative and helpful!) but I still have a few questions. I apologize if these have already been asked, I only was able to read through the first 7 pages! I did post this over there last night, but thought I just post it as a new topic as well in case it gets seen quicker.

1. I pretty much understand that the MM needs to be linked/associated with 1 person, but what exactly does that mean? Let's say our group of 9 people are together in a park and we want to get a picture taken... does that mean that only the person who's associated with MM can use their magic band to get the group's picture taken? Or can anyone in the group use their magic band to do so (as long as they've been linked to the main person's account)?

At first we were just going to associate my mom with the MM since she's the one who purchased it, but she's a little less active than the rest of us and there may be times she might want to hang back at the hotel to rest, or she may come back from the park early while others in our group stay out late. In those cases, we want to still be able to use the MM without her being there but don't know if that's possible if we cannot physically scan her magic band. I'm assuming that assigning a person to MM simply is to determine whose magic band gets to be scanned and has no bearing on who actually purchased the MM?

2. This question is sort of dependent upon the answer to the first, but assuming that other people in our group can in fact use their own magic bands to use the MM my mom purchased, will their photos show up on my mom's My Disney Experience or only on their own account when they log themselves in?

3. I read that ride photos should automatically show up on MM but just to be sure, you can still scan the magic band and the worse thing that can happen is that a duplicate photo will show up. My question is how do the correct ride photos get added to our MM if you don't have to scan the band? How does it know which photos are ours, especially since we have 9 people in our party and we'll have multiple pictures for each ride? Wouldn't you have to do something after you get off the ride, like go to a computer monitor or CM behind the counter to select the photos you want? (Sorry if these questions sound silly. We haven't been to Disney for over 12 years and everything is so different; I'm trying to understand how it all works!)

4. I understand that once you get home from the trip that's when you can modify and edit the photos up to a certain number of days (not sure if it's 30 days or 45 days), but what exactly is included in the $169 price? Is it the simply the ability to digitally download the photos? I'm assuming they're high resolution? Is there any limit to how many photos out of the whole lot you're allowed to download? Are there any hard copy prints or other products that are included in that price? (I'm assuming not, but just want to make sure.) Do you get anything physical, like a CD of all the images? Just trying to know what to expect.

5. Can you view the photos in MDE app daily throughout your vacation or do they only show up once your trip is over?

TIA for any info you can help me with! My mom purchased Memory Maker but I really haven't had much of a clue about it, and now she's put me in charge of managing it, lol!
For 1, 2, and 3: When MM is purchased and linked to a person in MDX, all others who are listed and linked to that MDX will have their photos linked there and MM applies to every linked photo.

Ride photos are linked to the MDX account via RFID readers stationed within the ride itself. It’s Disney Magic that makes them link to your MDX. So, if Person#9 rides Splash, his ride photo gets linked to the MDX account.

If Person#3 has their photo taken by a Photopass Photog and remembers to have his MB scanned, the photo shows up in your account.

1. Anyone can scan their band for the photo. That associates the photo with the person.
2. If everyone is linked with mom on MDE, then mom will be able to see photos linked to each person that she is connected with.
3. Ride photos use the long-range RFID feature of the magic band. As long as everyone has new-ish bands, their ridenphoto will be linked to their MDE profile. Some rides no longer have scanners at the end (and some never did), but you can scan one of its there. With nine people, you’ll already have nine copies of the photo if everyone rode and has a magic band. Remember, each photo is linked to each person.
4. Physical items are extra. You can purchase a CD. The person who purchased MM gets to download everything.
5. Photos are often available within minutes on the app.

For 1, 2, and 3: When MM is purchased and linked to a person in MDX, all others who are listed and linked to that MDX will have their photos linked there and MM applies to every linked photo.

Ride photos are linked to the MDX account via RFID readers stationed within the ride itself. It’s Disney Magic that makes them link to your MDX. So, if Person#9 rides Splash, his ride photo gets linked to the MDX account.

If Person#3 has their photo taken by a Photopass Photog and remembers to have his MB scanned, the photo shows up in your account.

1. Anyone can scan their band for the photo. That associates the photo with the person.
2. If everyone is linked with mom on MDE, then mom will be able to see photos linked to each person that she is connected with.
3. Ride photos use the long-range RFID feature of the magic band. As long as everyone has new-ish bands, their ridenphoto will be linked to their MDE profile. Some rides no longer have scanners at the end (and some never did), but you can scan one of its there. With nine people, you’ll already have nine copies of the photo if everyone rode and has a magic band. Remember, each photo is linked to each person.
4. Physical items are extra. You can purchase a CD. The person who purchased MM gets to download everything.
5. Photos are often available within minutes on the app.

I just want to add one detail to the answers to question 2. Everyone in the group must give your mom permission to see their photos in their own MDE account (if they have one, or if they're managed by someone else). In other words, when you look at THEIR Family & Friends list, make sure that it says that your mom can see their Disney PhotoPass Photos. (And your mom's list should show that each one of them is allowed to see her photos too.) If someone does not give your mom permission to see their photos, those photos won't show up in your mom's account and she won't be able to download them. This is especially important for children - our grandchildren took great pride in being the one to have their MB scanned by the PhotoPass photographer!

Just another reminder to double check your photos as soon as possible when getting pictures from Photopass photographers. If you don't like them, have them retaken or go to a different photographer if you have the time. Quality of photos varies greatly, and many times exposure, lighting, even focus is off. Perhaps some of them have an interest in photography and might even know the basics, but others are probably any hired CM that just got handed a camera. This past trip, we have looked at the photos and wondered why the focus was so bad or the background didnt even show up. What's the point of getting a picture in front of the castle if they don't properly frame up the castle? Or zoom in so you aren't 500 miles away?

I purchased the memory maker. Can I add any of my pictures from my personal camera? I would like to add a frame to a few.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter