ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES FIRST

4ParkFamily

Mouseketeer
I just watched the guidelines for reopening Walt Disney World podcast and I had a few thoughts as I was watching. It looks like we are close to some sort of opening of the resorts and parks and I had a few thought on the discussion that I watched. I agree with Craig and Rhino about Disney taking extra caution on top of what the task force has recommended but have some thoughts about how Disney could ease into this opening. I am an essential employee and have been working 50 hours a week and still have to go out on the weekend and get groceries, gas, and essentials that I need to be able to go to work so that the people who cannot work have what they need. I have to take such extreme cautions at work that it has become part of my everyday life. My hands by the end of the week are breaking out because I have to use hand sanitizer after every transaction. I have a room booked from July 2nd to the 5th and that is all I can think about! I need to get away so bad to relax from the stress of all this. I get that the people who have been locked up are ready to get out as well but with all the practice we have had with all the interaction we have had to deal with I think that when Disney does reopen the essential employees can get the opportunity to get in first. I do believe it should start with essential Florida employees first being that we are within our state guidelines then to Florida residents. Thoughts?

It’s not that I disagree with you - I think there’s just so much that goes into reopening that there may be so many logistical issues with only allowing Florida essential workers entry first to be an issue. Disney is huge. They’ve had so many reservations rescheduled: International travelers, DVC, US cash, AP... then you have the local AP’s to worry about as well. While everyone is thankful for essential workers & front line workers (my husband is a doctor & has worked with Covid patients during this pandemic) - so I get your statement about your hands & the long hours worked. In general - I just think Disney has a lot to think about with respect to reopening & I just don’t think it’s going to be limiting it down to specific essential workers first. I think it may be guests staying on property first perhaps (given mandates for park capacity during Phase I to be 50%). But it’s all speculation until Disney themselves actually releases an opening date statement.

I agree with @JDWdvc2014

While we are all thankful and very appreciative of essential workers in all our countries during this time, from a business point of view, limiting the opening of Disney parks to essential workers is not a viable, logical or practical option.

Disney is a business and has an obligation to its shareholders to make money. The re opening decisions and procedures will be driven by safety first and then financial.

I can see Disney doing some sort of promotion or giveaway or special event for essential workers but that will be some time in the future.

The main focus right now will be getting the gates open, keeping staff and guests safe and re starting revenue streams.

I just watched the guidelines for reopening Walt Disney World podcast and I had a few thoughts as I was watching. It looks like we are close to some sort of opening of the resorts and parks and I had a few thought on the discussion that I watched. I agree with Craig and Rhino about Disney taking extra caution on top of what the task force has recommended but have some thoughts about how Disney could ease into this opening. I am an essential employee and have been working 50 hours a week and still have to go out on the weekend and get groceries, gas, and essentials that I need to be able to go to work so that the people who cannot work have what they need. I have to take such extreme cautions at work that it has become part of my everyday life. My hands by the end of the week are breaking out because I have to use hand sanitizer after every transaction. I have a room booked from July 2nd to the 5th and that is all I can think about! I need to get away so bad to relax from the stress of all this. I get that the people who have been locked up are ready to get out as well but with all the practice we have had with all the interaction we have had to deal with I think that when Disney does reopen the essential employees can get the opportunity to get in first. I do believe it should start with essential Florida employees first being that we are within our state guidelines then to Florida residents. Thoughts?
@4ParkFamily - I don't have an opinion on when the parks will reopen, or who should be let in when. However, I just wanted to say I hope your trip goes off like you want it to, and that you have a magical trip. Also - thank you for whatever it is is you do, and for helping the rest of us maintain even a small shred of our "regular" lives through your work!
Socially distnaced hugs!

This sounds like a great way to cause riots at turnstiles, with everyone segueing over who is “essential”.

I’m an essential worker. I haven’t stopped during the whole pandemic, I’m working longer hours than ever and don’t get to see my family the way I used to. Some days I’m starting work at six am, other days I’m working until 1am. All whilst supporting a teacher wife and looking after a toddler when the wife is virtual teaching classes online.

But here’s a catch: I’m an accountant for a recruitment company. I’m not really “essential” am I? So if you only let essential people in... how do you define essential? Where does it stop?

Something else to take into account, is it wise for essential workers to go first?
It's not just the long hours, and the hand sanitizing, but essential workers, mostly those in a medical profession, but also others have basically been living some kind of war zone. I can imagine that there will be those among this group who develop some form of PTSD, and would you want to add the constant stimulus of a themepark. Or is it better to have some peace and quiet first to process what you have been through?
Of course everyone is different, and I know the feeling of needing to get out after a very intense period (the death of my father), but my normal happy place wasn't what I needed. I thought it was, but I came home earlier and I have cried more than I should have in a Disney park.

I can see Disney maybe implementing a special discount for certain groups like medical professions, but for the other essential workers it's hard to determine who will get it and who want.

The thing is that essential workers are not just Doctors and nurse's, Fireman, EMT's... they are on the front line of medical pandemic.. the ones you see on TV, and are the people who most folks look at as essential... and I am very grateful that they are there working.... as well there are tons of people in the medical field working in hospitals, that are essential... food and dietary, housekeeping, the people who work on those delicate life saving machines, pharmacy, laundry...

DH works in essential service....DH works in Pest control- the commercial side of it... and here in Florida, pest control is a year around essential service...he normally works 50 hours a week, with this shut down he is working 60+ hours, and that's not including the phone calls, the text, and emails... Business are scared, As well he has 20+ people depending on him to make sure they have what they need to just work... things like mask, and gloves, even chem's, and now they offer a disinfecting services to help their customer get ready to have all our tourist and visitor back and everything ready to greet you.. You can't just shut down thousands and thousands of hotel rooms, and think that the bugs are going to stay out, plus they are doing sanitizing and disinfecting jobs as well... As well food processing plants, bakery's, up and running... plus holding the fort down and helping his customers as their business's start to falter... keeping things going so that his guys all can keep working daily, to provide and take care of their families... finding mask, and gloves was a daily thing.... I helped DH sometimes getting out and looking to help him to find gloves and mask... which I was grateful and honored that I could help him... Help his guys and keep them safe... Now with the things starting to open back up.. DH will be working even longer hours... He never complains, and just puts his head down and does whatever is needed to get the job done... I am so proud to be his wife, and partner in life...

What about the cashiers, stock-man, deli and bakery, the managers of these stores that are working everyday, the postman, the delivery people, the guy that picks up your trash, your local CVS or Walgreens employees that are working, Fast food restaurants are working their people to the bone, truck drivers that are hauling good so that we can survive... lots and lots of people that are behind the scene's working their butts off to keep everything up and running... there are alot more people that could add...

To all of those people I say Thank you... for taking care of us!!!

So I say yes to that and even some special pricing for these men, and women and families who have worked endless to take care of all of us... they deserve it... and well they should have some type of button to wear in the parks so that people can thank them, give them a thumbs up...
DH and I are AP holders so I am not just saying all this for my own benefit... We will be going to support the House of the Mouse, and the local restaurants that need to get back up and running...

Last edited:

In our state (NH), essential employees are more numerous than unessential employees.
Pretty much the only unessential employees are hair dressers, tattoo, spas, theaters, bowling alleys, retail stores.

In our state (NH), essential employees are more numerous than unessential employees.
Pretty much the only unessential employees are hair dressers, tattoo, spas, theaters, bowling alleys, retail stores.

Yeah I was going to post something similar. What states have deemed “essential” varies widely and like one of the PP mention it would be a riot at the turnstiles and a logistical nightmare to verify who was really “essential”. Vape store cashiers are essential in my state. Do they get the same treatment as an ER or ICU nurse?

While it's a nice idea, when the parks and the state re-opens, we essential employees don't stop being essential. How about Disney just lets everyone in who conforms to their guidelines and we essential employees get a special button to wear when we're finally able to take some time off and relax?

Same here, all workers in my family are deemed ‘essential’, whether they want to be or not. One, a substance abuse counselor who is wildly busy, the others work in industries with defense ties.

Had trip the week of easter cancelled. Still booked for August, October & after Thanksgiving. Haven’t pulled the plugs on any of them despite needing to fly to MCO

When it comes to allowing “essential employees” first, I’m thinking of my friends who work hands on in the medical field. They have all expressed I’m “crazy” to even consider visiting this year. If they are indicative of the majority, most would like say thanks but no thanks.

I don’t think letting them go first makes logistical sense just from a standpoint of being able to carry it out, but maybe a ticket discount? I’ve been working throughout this whole thing and while I wouldn’t ask for first entry a little ticket or room discount with proof of employment would be really appreciated. Get on it Disney!

I think it's far more likely we see some sort of discount for medical workers and maybe even for narrowly-defined essential workers, similar to what WDW does for military and FL Residents.

I also want to say, to any essential workers on here, thank you so much for everything you're doing. I know those words can seem hollow given what a cliche they're becoming, but I cannot thank you enough for your bravery, resilience, and compassion. I hope people don't forget how important you all are; I won't.

I don’t think letting them go first makes logistical sense just from a standpoint of being able to carry it out, but maybe a ticket discount? I’ve been working throughout this whole thing and while I wouldn’t ask for first entry a little ticket or room discount with proof of employment would be really appreciated. Get on it Disney!

I like the idea of a ticket discount to celebrate the amazing work our essential workers are doing. I'm sure in these times though, lots of people are making big sacrifices and could use a pick-me-up Disney trip. Many people have tragically lost loved ones. Others have been sick or nursed one or more family members though the virus. Others are juggling full time work-from-home with full time infant or child care, working late into the night to make it work. Heck, even many "normal" non-essential jobs have 80-hour work weeks or more. I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone has earned a disney vacation in their own way.

I agree with previous posters, I hope all essential workers are given a ticket discount! Only opening to essential workers will never happen in my opinion. I appreciate the job you have done, as well as every other essential worker....however it's just not feasible to only open to those people. My husband has had to travel within the state of Florida for work .....not wanted to but required to. I was especially worried when he had to go to Miami. I understand, he is stressed every day, when he is away I stress about what he's coming into contact with, then once he's home I stress about what he has brought potentially home with him ( we have a high risk child.) This is a stressful and unusual time for everyone, I think that we all *need* a vacation. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Add me to the list of those who would like to see them receive discounts instead of first access. They have been working so hard and that can be hard on the immune system. If they got a discount that was valid for a few months, they could get a little rest and then go have fun when they are in better condition to enjoy it. I don’t want them to put their lives at risk any more than they already have. Of course, if they want to go immediately, that’s cool too. I just think discounts are a better option for a thank you.

Thank you for all the responses! I am in Florida and and work for a pool distributor. I understand that those at home who have a pool and the families who cannot leave their home this is something they can do that is safe and is recreational. I do not mind at all working so that families can enjoy their time at home. I am so happy to help and hope that the people who have enjoyed their pools this spring don't forget us poolsential employees. Hope to get back to our second home sooner than later!

Thank you for all the responses! I am in Florida and and work for a pool distributor. I understand that those at home who have a pool and the families who cannot leave their home this is something they can do that is safe and is recreational. I do not mind at all working so that families can enjoy their time at home. I am so happy to help and hope that the people who have enjoyed their pools this spring don't forget us poolsential employees. Hope to get back to our second home sooner than later!
This is why first responders should get discounts, etc. and not “essential employees”. Sheesh

Should Disney offer this discount only to healthcare workers or extend it to all essential? What criteria determines which essential workers would qualify and how will Disney verify that someone is an essential worker? I can't see this working.

I also want to thank the REAL essential employees who are in the hospitals, nursing homes, police departments and EMS. I think all of you are truly essential and deserve a to go to Disney World and should get some magic for keeping us safe. I do not want to say that all essential jobs are created equally. I am just saying that there are some of us who do not get to stay at home during this trying time want to experience the magic as much as those who are at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!