Epcot's 25th B-Day??

4forthemouse

Mouseketeer
Let me apologize in advance if there is a thread about this already, but I couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard if there will be an Epcot birthday celebration this fall? We LOVE Epcot, and hate not knowing. If WDW is doing something to celebrate we want to be there.
Anyone got the inside scoop????

The YOMD runs through this year so I wouldn't expect anything special for Epcot's 25th. Disney wouldn't gain anything by having two promotions going at once.

I hope they do something major, but the liklihood of that happening is a bit slim. They could do a lot of updates (hopefully ones that do NOT involve inserting those overused Pixar characters into every single ride--has anyone else noticed that every new ride in some way shape or form has pixar in it?) to FW and possibly do a new Illuminations show. Reflections of Earth is great, but I think it should be swapped out for a new show as it's been around for years and years.

The GM of Epcot has announced there will be no public event - not even a special park opening event on Oct. 1.

EPCOT Center has a "troubled" history in Disney culture; it opened shortly before Eisner took over and became his scapegoat for everything that "the dead guy" did wrong going back to leaving Marceline. Saying that you liked anything at all about Epcot was the quickest way to end your corporate career (even faster than making a joke about Eisner's hairline). Ever since the park has been the ignored "bad cousin" in the Disney family.

For me, I'd be happy if all they would do is take down that frackin' wand. The Great Park we knew has been dumbed downed and killed - but at least they can restore a bit of dignity and grandeur back to Spaceship Earth.

For me, I'd be happy if all they would do is take down that frackin' wand. The Great Park we knew has been dumbed downed and killed - but at least they can restore a bit of dignity and grandeur back to Spaceship Earth.

So how exactly does removing the wand bring back the "grandeur" of Spaceship earth ? :scratchin

Becasue the wand is for stupid people. The giant letters are for complete idiots. And the twinkle stars are for people who dress up their cats and throw them birthday parties. Removing a giant heaping pile of yak that stands beside any building makes that building look better.

The clean lines of Spaceship Earth make it look impressive. The fact that it is a sphere - unlinke any other building - and without external supports makes it unique. And it gives the appearance of hovering over the land - an ac of true Disney "magic".

The wand is nothing but a giant tinkertoy construction. It looks like it, it feels like it, you can see that's all there is to it. There is no grace in a contrustion crane - and that's what the wand looks like.

So how exactly does removing the wand bring back the "grandeur" of Spaceship earth ? :scratchin

The wand represents magic and fantasy, which are elements of the Magic Kingdom but not of Epcot. Epcot's architecture was designed to represent a hopeful and streamlined future, not a throwback to medieval alchemy. The wand is as out of place on a geodesic dome as a royal crown would be on top of the Washington Monument.

How could they have a celebration of 25 yrs of Epcot when half of the rides have been destroyed(Figment, Horizon, World of Motion) and the other half are just lame. I LOVED Epcot and they have destroyed it. I also heard that Alfredo's is closing. If this is true would it be another gaping whole in the landscape like Communicore East and West or the downstairs area at Space Ship Earth?

How could they have a celebration of 25 yrs of Epcot when half of the rides have been destroyed(Figment, Horizon, World of Motion) and the other half are just lame. I LOVED Epcot and they have destroyed it. I also heard that Alfredo's is closing. If this is true would it be another gaping whole in the landscape like Communicore East and West or the downstairs area at Space Ship Earth?
They have a new Italian restaraunt already planned for the spot.

By de-tackifying it. Then Disney can keep going and take down the oh-so-tacky HAT in the Disney-Pixar studio.

. . . The wand is nothing but a giant tinkertoy construction. It looks like it, it feels like it, you can see that's all there is to it. There is no grace in a contrustion crane - and that's what the wand looks like . . .

1) What!
2) No comments on the tombstones (Eisner's personal placement choice) blocking the view of SE?
3) It used to be such a grand site walking through the turnstiles!
4) On a crisp morning
. . . you see SE as you come from the parking lot
. . . you go through the turnstiles with anticipation
. . . then, KABAMMMM !
. . . the SE comes into full view
. . . from the ground it grows and hovers above you

DH and I are also disappointed by the lack of celebration for Epcot's 25th. We were hoping they would bring back the Millennium Village. I didn’t get to see it, but DH said it was a nice change to see the different countries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter