Epcot is sad

HorizonsRIP

Earning My Ears
It is really hard to find a starker contrast than between the timeless charm of MK and the sad, outdated 1980s retro-futurism of Epcot. The place looks like it came out of a bad Jetson's episode. I felt insulted by the choose your future ending of spaceship earth. Horizons at least treated the issue seriously.

As for the World Showcase...does anyone else find it borderline offensive? Mariachis in Mexico. Pagodas and forbidden palace architecture in China?

It is really hard to find a starker contrast than between the timeless charm of MK and the sad, outdated 1980s retro-futurism of Epcot. The place looks like it came out of a bad Jetson's episode. As for the World Showcase...does anyone else find it borderline offensive? Mariachis in Mexico. Pagodas and forbidden palace architecture in China?

Offensive? Uh, no.

It is really hard to find a starker contrast than between the timeless charm of MK and the sad, outdated 1980s retro-futurism of Epcot. The place looks like it came out of a bad Jetson's episode. I felt insulted by the choose your future ending of spaceship earth. Horizons at least treated the issue seriously.

As for the World Showcase...does anyone else find it borderline offensive? Mariachis in Mexico. Pagodas and forbidden palace architecture in China?

What exactly are they suppose to put in Mexico that relates to Mexican culture but wouldn't be offensive to you?

To each their own. Epcot happens to be my favorite park. I always meet the coolest CM's from around the world and nothing beats Soarin for me. I love dining my way across the countries and Spaceship Earth is such a Disney icon.

It is really hard to find a starker contrast than between the timeless charm of MK and the sad, outdated 1980s retro-futurism of Epcot. The place looks like it came out of a bad Jetson's episode. As for the World Showcase...does anyone else find it borderline offensive? Mariachis in Mexico. Pagodas and forbidden palace architecture in China?

We really enjoy Epcot. World Showcase could use some updating. But what would you suggest to make World Showcase less offensive to you?

What exactly are they suppose to put in Mexico that relates to Mexican culture but wouldn't be offensive to you?

Is this a serious question? Do you think that Mexican Culture is limited to what you can find at a Taco Bell in Omaha?

China has several provinces each with a unique cultural identity

No, I love Epcot. I do not find it "sad" or "outdated".

And you should know that each country in Epcot is designed in partnership with that country, to represent them best. They're also funded by their respective governments. You might as well try to argue that the opening ceremonies at the Olympics are offensive, because they showcase the host country.

What's wrong with mariachi bands, anyway?

Oh boy.

Nothing against you having your opinion, but I don't find it offensive in the least. Is there something you would suggest to make it less offensive to you?

Is this a serious question? Do you think that Mexican Culture is limited to what you can find at a Taco Bell in Omaha? China has several provinces each with a unique cultural identity

It is a serious question, chill. And last time I checked, they don't have Taco Bell in Epcot.

Is this a serious question? Do you think that Mexican Culture is limited to what you can find at a Taco Bell in Omaha?

China has several provinces each with a unique cultural identity

The Chinese government paid for that pavilion, and consulted on the design. Did you even bother to go inside and look at the museum, or watch the film, or did you just stand outside and go, "Ugh! Pagodas! How stereotypical!"

The drummers (also featured in the Olympics) are from China. The acrobats are from China. Most of the CMs working in the pavilion are Chinese. If you actually wanted to learn about the provinces, I'm sure they'd have been happy to talk to you.

HorizonsRIP, while I don't find it offensive per se, I do find some of it to be kind of dumbed down, like the ending to Spaceship Earth, really the whole Spaceship Earth soundtrack, lol. And removing the carousel in the Mexico ride and putting in tons of video screens instead. The old ride actually did pay homage to different areas of the real Mexico. Epcot does need some love, and I hope they plan on adding some new things that are innovative.

I LOVE Epcot. In fact, it's my favorite park, and I will be visiting it 2 days of my week vaca in March. :cool1:
29 trips to Disney World and counting...next stop POFQ March 2014:joker:
(Just me and my hubby)pixiedust:

To each their own. Epcot happens to be my favorite park. I always meet the coolest CM's from around the world and nothing beats Soarin for me. I love dining my way across the countries and Spaceship Earth is such a Disney icon.

I agree! I could go to Epcot every day. I love the different foods, etc.

Actually, I struggle with this a bit as well. It's a really interesting combination of cultural appropriation as entertainment and sort of sincerely attempting to create an honest experience. I think there are significantly more offensive stereotypes that could be used for just about every country, but, yeah I don't know if it paints an accurate picture of the culture. But, I'm also not convinced that's even the intention. I think it's probably a trickier tightrope to walk in 2014 than it was in the early 80s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!