Eat Clean foods at WDW

OP, you might like my blog. A Dis dining review from last year is linked in my siggie, but feel free to poke around. We're clean eaters, too :thumbsup2

OP had an original thread in the dining forum that explained more details about her dietary issue and a reply in that thread referred her here. OP, you might find it helpful to copy and paste that post so that those here can know exactly what it is that you need, and might be able to make recommendations. :)

I forgot, in my other thread, to suggest the fruit plate at Flame Tree at the Animal Kingdom. It comes with a side of yogurt (which I'm sure has added sugar in it,) but it's a very small (1/4 cup or less) side in a separately sealed container. It is a HUGE plate of fruit and I was quite satisified when I finished!

You might consider checking out the vegetarian/vegan thread in the restaurant forum, too -- I know that's not necessarily a facet of clean eating but there are lots of recommendations there that might help you find more basic, and therefore clean, foods. You're not going to find a lot of whole grain or unprocessed meat in the parks, so you might do well sticking to a primarily veg diet while in the parks and then picking up some protein on the way home. Or, you could carry snack baggies of nuts etc around... I went an entire day at Universal eating only what I had carried in my small purse-sized backpack (trail mix and fruit leathers, essentially,) so it is definitely do-able.

The "allergy book" at counter service restaurants won't give you nutritional information in many cases but WILL give you a complete list of ingredients, which should be helpful in determining if there are added sugars in the meals you're considering.

Also, to whomever asked about the soup -- I know Le Cellier makes their cheese soup from scratch, by the vat. Obviously that's not helpful to the OP but it is does corroborate that a number of the soups are not necessarily 'tinned.' Some may be, but some are not. I can't resist putting this emoticon, intended for a laugh... :stir:

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Clearly, I have been quite ignorant in terms of my knowledge of Disney food. I actually was assuming that they make their soups--but now that some of you commented that they don't, I realize that was a silly assumption, just like assuming that "grilled" meant just the meat heated up, not smothered in butter or oil.

All of this is very, very helpful to me so that I don't inadvertently eat something that my body reacts to. Yes, I forgot to post here the reason for this diet--I have fibromyalgia, and I have discovered a lot of food "triggers" to pain. The biggest one is sugar--all processed sugar. But I've also found that processed foods of all kinds, and foods with all kinds of ingredients you can't pronounce (man-made "stuff" put into processed foods) tend to trigger pain.

Clean eating, like someone mentioned, is whole natural foods. My "staples" are oatmeal (which, fortunately, I absolutely love and take with me everywhere so I always have oatmeal for breakfast, just plain oatmeal with almond milk). Lunches are either tuna made with Greek non-fat yogurt OR cottage cheese with feta cheese along with fresh veggies. Dinners are usually homemade soups, salads, or other veggie dishes.

Again, thank you so much!! I suspect I will actually bring my food into the parks for the most part. I think that the caesar salads (with no dressing) will be fine, though. We have always stayed in our trailer in Fort Wilderness and so have always had our whole kitchen. This time we'll be in a rental house and will also have a kitchen, so breakfasts are always whatever I normally eat.

Anyway, all your insight into the reality of the food at Disney is helpful!

FYI...in the Magic Kingdom, by the Hall of the Presidents, there is a sort of an outdoor market set up. Lots of fresh fruit for sale.

:tink: DVCDawn

Grilled doesn't necessarily mean covered in butter. My kids and I can't have dairy (allergies) yet we do get grilled meats. Mostly we get them at TS restaurants after speaking with chefs but I think some of them at CS locations may be safe as well (check the allergy binder for ingredients and specify to the manager that you need oil free in OP's case).

Thanks for the list, i would just be careful of the amount of salt in the soups, also some of the healthiest options come in the kids meals, i usually just get them when im at the world, alot of times i save the bagged grapes for a snack later on during the day. and i like the fact you can get milk or bottled water withthe kids meals too. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

So far, this is what I've eaten:
AK: Rainforest Cafe: veggie burger (best I've ever had!)
MK: Liberty Tavern: Turkey dinner with no gravy and fresh fruit instead of stuffing. The best turkey! And since this was for our anniversary, the waitress gave us a cupcake, and when I said I can't have sugar, she brought be a sugar-free sorbet. :)

So far, this is what I've eaten:
AK: Rainforest Cafe: veggie burger (best I've ever had!)
MK: Liberty Tavern: Turkey dinner with no gravy and fresh fruit instead of stuffing. The best turkey! And since this was for our anniversary, the waitress gave us a cupcake, and when I said I can't have sugar, she brought be a sugar-free sorbet. :)

Normally the sugar-free sorbet has Splenda or some other artificial sugar in it, not just fruit like we'd make at home. Hopefully it didn't give you a reaction! I know I would get a headache within the hour.... :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter