Earplanes - anyone use them?

My kids have used them since they suffered from a lot of ear pain during their first airplane ride when they were in kindergarten. They told me that they didn't need earplanes for our last trip (they are 14 now), but it was still painful for them during the descent, so we stopped at Walgreens and got some earplanes for the trip back. They did chew gum or swallow when they didn't wear earplanes, but that didn't do enough to equalize the pressure.

I don't know if you are asking about a child or an adult. As an adult, I've never had a problem and swallowing helps me, since I don't chew gum.

I use earplanes every flight. Gum does nothing for me - neither does decongestant. I get AWFUL pain in my inner ears during landings, and earplanes ar ethe only things that help me. It's worth the $4 a pair for a round-trip flight to not have excruciating pain in my right ear.

we've gone to Mack's ear seals; work just as well:thumbsup2& 1/2 the price of earplanes @ our local drugstore. the version we buy has a cord helps to prevents dropping them, etc.

earplugstore_2078_78041793

I use earplanes when I am congested, gum if I'm not. I also use a decongestant at the same time. Unfortunately, not traveling isn't an option some days!

I SWEAR by Earplanes. I have chronically bad ears, and could never fly without TONS of bad pain. I discovered Earplanes about 6 years ago, when I was on a business trip with my boss, and her boss. I figured crying while descending would NOT be a good career move. ;) They really did the trick, and I know always have a pair or two in my carry on bag.

DS uses earplanes. They are a sort of plug with a hole in them, and I assume the hole lets out pressure? I don't know how a regular earplug would work.

I'm not 100% sure DS really really really needs them, but he certainly feels he does, and when one fell out on our last flight (when he was leaning on my husband for a quick bit of sleep), he was SO afraid that he was going to hurt that he worked himself in a crying frazzled frenzy and threw up.

I think I'm going to buy them 5 pairs at a time so we don't have to search for ones that have fallen out anymore...was an experience that no one on that plane wants to re-visit...

we've gone to Mack's ear seals; work just as well:thumbsup2& 1/2 the price of earplanes @ our local drugstore. the version we buy has a cord helps to prevents dropping them, etc.

earplugstore_2078_78041793

I tried these once. They didn't work for me. They were more for blocking everything out (like airplane noise and such - they do work well for concerts), but didn't help to regulate the pressure on descent and takeoff like the earplanes do. I guess it's worth a try if you can get them cheaper than earplanes.

Did they work? Or was gum just as effective? Thanks for your input!

Do not fly without them............they are LIFESAVERS or should I say EAR SAVERS...
I have "thin" (only thing thin on me :lmao:) eustacion tubes and am greatly affected by the pressure changes and no, gum is like comparing a baby aspirin and demerol.......
I have actually gotten a major ear infection/inflammation, temporary loss of hearing after a rough flight and had to spend time in ER in Fla, :eek:not the way to go IMHO...Just AWFUL :sick:
If you have anyone that has ANY inkling of an ear issue, be SAFE, get them and put them in (about 10 minutes Before you board)
My pharmacist recommended them and I fly with them ALWAYS!! (and actually use another pair for the return flight with a spare packed).....can you tell I never want to experience that ear issue again, :rotfl2:

The "Ear Planes" are a blessing! I would not even think of flying without them. Here I was .... a grown woman ...
forty something ..... and the pain was so bad I was crying like a baby.
Eventually, I tried the Earplanes, and it was so much better. ( I am 56 now )

For me, the children's size seems to work better. Don't combine the Earplanes WITH chewing gum, though.
This seems to make them less effective because the constant chewing of gum makes the earplanes wiggle too much.

I have never heard of them before and my 12yo is always congested (allergies) and flying makes her cry from pain.
I will get these!

If you are ever caught without them a flight attendant told me to ask for a cup of boiled water. Breathe in the steam on the descent and it can help open up the nasal passages enough to get some relief. I have done this and it works for me. I just ask for a cup of tea as late as possible and the keep it covered until we go down.

If you are ever caught without them a flight attendant told me to ask for a cup of boiled water. Breathe in the steam on the descent and it can help open up the nasal passages enough to get some relief. I have done this and it works for me. I just ask for a cup of tea as late as possible and the keep it covered until we go down.

I tried these once. They didn't work for me. They were more for blocking everything out (like airplane noise and such - they do work well for concerts), but didn't help to regulate the pressure on descent and takeoff like the earplanes do. I guess it's worth a try if you can get them cheaper than earplanes.

:confused3worked well for us, guess u should stick with what does the trick for you

will state u really do need to sometimes fiddle with them to make sure they're sitting in there just right, helps to pull the ear lobe down with kids when inserting. So many peds recommend for swimming etc.

OP here. I absolutely love technology in that I can get opinions from other people before I buy something. Just think, 20 years ago you'd see an advertisement for something, "earplanes" in this case, and think - do I waste my money or not. And thank you for the suggestion to get childrens size. I too have small ears, and when I went to Walmart yesterday they only had one pair in stock (adult). I wouldn't have known to look elsewhere for another size.

Thank you all!

I get them at Wal-Mart. They are $3.97 for an adult sized pair, and that pair is good for one round-trip flight.

wow, that's a good price, i never thought to look for them @ WM:guilty:...rite aid is more than double that price! Wonder if they have the macks too? will have to check next time im there, i go thru so many as youngest has chronic ear issues and is supposed to wear them even when he showers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter