DVC unofficial guide??

Dumbo777

DIS Veteran
We have had DVC for a year. I am trying to learn as much as I can about making reservations, which properties are the best, who has which restaurants, which properties have the best pool for kids and so on. Is there an unofficial guide to DVC or something that can tell me all the tips and tricks time DVC. For instance how do we go about getting the best chance to a different resort at 7 months out? I'm also interested in things like can we add a dining plan? Are we able to use MDE with DVC reservation? What DVC lounges are available? I have a ton of questions.... If some one can point me in the right direction. Thanks

1) For instance how do we go about getting the best chance to a different resort at 7 months out?

2)I'm also interested in things like can we add a dining plan? Are we able to use MDE with DVC reservation?

3)What DVC lounges are available?

1) if you did your homework before you bought in, you have probably read up on the value of "buy where you want to stay" or at least "buy where you don't mind staying."

But at this point, the best advice for getting a different resort at 7 months is "don't travel during Fall Frenzy (mid-September to mid-January, more or less)."

2) DVC stays come with all onsite perks, plus you don't have to purchase a ticket to get the DDP or pay for parking at your DVC resort.

3) in the parks, the Epcot lounge is it. The Top of the World lounge at BLT is also a very nice perk.

There's no one compilation of all the information you're looking for that I'm aware of. It's all on the various DVC websites, blogs, Youtube, this forum, but nothing all in one place. The DVC Resource thread here is useful and will probably answer many of your questions. https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-dvc-resource-center-updated-april-2019.3655476/

Some of your questions are subjective as well. The best resort for me isn't necessarily the best resort for someone else.

For instance how do we go about getting the best chance to a different resort at 7 months out?

Also, don't buy a resale contract at Riviera... ;)

Let me also second the recommendation to check out the DVC Resource thread.

Feel free to ask questions but a lot can be learned by using the search function (or go to Google and add "site:disboards.com" (without the quotes) to your search.)

A lot is subjective, for example: some owners think Beach Club has the best pool for kids but others think it's too tough to keep track of kids in that pool.

It is easy to find answers to questions you have. What is difficult is knowing the questions you should be asking, but don't know to ask. The way I did it was to browse through these forums. When I saw something that I did not understand, I would dive in further until I understood it. I also agree that the DVC Resource Guide is a great place to start. Also look for sticky threads.

1) if you did your homework before you bought in, you have probably read up on the value of "buy where you want to stay" or at least "buy where you don't mind staying."

But at this point, the best advice for getting a different resort at 7 months is "don't travel during Fall Frenzy (mid-September to mid-January, more or less)."

2) DVC stays come with all onsite perks, plus you don't have to purchase a ticket to get the DDP or pay for parking at your DVC resort.

3) in the parks, the Epcot lounge is it. The Top of the World lounge at BLT is also a very nice perk.

The only place that Disney was selling at the time we bought was Copper Creek, which is $$$

You don't have to buy a ticket to purchase DDP?

No, with DVC there are no packages. You can purchase your tickets from outside vendors such as Undercover tourist and save some $$$'s over direct. The tickets come thru them from Disney and link up to your My Disney Experience account. The Dining plan can be added for whatever level you feel will benefit you and just has to be added at least 2 days in advance of check in. You can call member services to add it. You do pay for it at the time you add it. It has to be for the length of stay and for everyone in the room. I think a lot of DVCer's don't use it though. There are discounts offered at many of the sit down restaurants to members or members also qualify to purchase Tables in Wonderland so there are other options to consider.

One comment on the Dining Plan - there is no free dining on points stays (ever.)

The DDP doesn't fit my style of vacationing anyway so I prefer to pay as I go. (The Swan and Dolphin has some good dining options that are not on the DDP - like Kimonos - and they offer DVC owners 20% off... so be aware of those kinds of alternatives.)

We have had DVC for a year. I am trying to learn as much as I can about making reservations, which properties are the best, who has which restaurants, which properties have the best pool for kids and so on. Is there an unofficial guide to DVC or something that can tell me all the tips and tricks time DVC. For instance how do we go about getting the best chance to a different resort at 7 months out? I'm also interested in things like can we add a dining plan? Are we able to use MDE with DVC reservation? What DVC lounges are available? I have a ton of questions.... If some one can point me in the right direction. Thanks
Head to the member website. You'll find all the information about the DVC resorts there. Plus other information.

Some of your questions are subjective as well. The best resort for me isn't necessarily the best resort for someone else.

I would agree that most of your questions are subjective. The more you use your points the more you will find what you like and what you don't like. All members use their membership differently. I do recommend when using your points striking up conversations with other DVC members. You might learn a lot from them. Enjoy your points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter