• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC should be PRIORITY 1!

When WDW re-opens, Any person who is a DVC member should be the priority, not just given "credit" for closure of the resorts and parks-- even more so than Florida residents. I know this may sound harsh but there is quite a bit of money "spent" by DVC members every year. In a related point made, not sure why Florida residents get "PERKS" on discounted park tickets more so than DVC members, to me that's not right. DVC members would attend the resorts and parks more often if tickets wouldn't be so pricey...any other thoughts that could be shared?

No business reason for that. In fact you could argue cash hotel guests should be priority. DVC members are probably spending less per stay than anyother out of are visitor per day. “We” are not entitled to perks, though I do like when they are given. Right now they will want to limit attendance. Also there will be some DVC members who will still visit without touching parks. Saying you would visit more if tickets weren’t so much, probably applies to any guest

FL is a very big state, some people have to travel as many as 6-7 hours to get to WDW depending on where you live so that kind of puts a who in this theory.
I should have specified they would target more local residents. They could allow all FL residents, but with the disclaimer that entry isn't guaranteed. So drive the 6 hours and be prepared not to get in.

If they want to accommodate ALL FL residents they could do a reservation system like the did for Pandora previews. That way if they target 2k people they can have 2k people ready to go.

Hopefully they can figure a way to accommodate both FL residents and DVC in the first wave as it would make a lot of people happy.

I think we also need to remember that any plan will need to be approved by government officials and meet whatever guidelines they have in mind to ensure safety,

So, I think that is going to play a big role in terms of the parks opening, and who they allow in with a phased opening,

Allowing FL residents in first would be a more difficult & time consuming task, as they would have to verify residency on each & every person.
Not really. I don’t know what type of passes every FL resident purchases, but most that I hang out with buy a pass that’s exclusive to residents (mainly because it’s a good deal). The CM at the tapstyle can see your ticket media readout upon entry I believe. At least they could at one point in history.

Turnstyles can also be programmed to color-code FL residency just like they recognize DVC members now. All they have to do is turn it on. Almost every special-use of a/or for a ticket is color-coded in the system. They just never turn most of it on. That's an easy thing to "fix."

My FL family (we’re also all DVC) is excited to get back to the resorts, DS, and all the restaurants together. Some don’t care about the parks, many have APs.
WDW is our annual family reunion and lately we just want to hang out together... preferably with a savannah view!

Maybe they will do "even - odd" days at the Parks for Resort & DVC guests and then the other day for FL residents. That might pacify locals with AP's and visiting guests somewhat.

Your costs are sunk, Disney has your money, and if you sell your contract they will just get someone else's money. Its a really bad business decision to put DVC members first - we should probably be last. As a business, first should either be resort guests, who spend more per trip than anyone else - particularly opening up the Deluxe resorts first and leaving the values sit idle. Then probably Florida residents, because Disney is heavily dependent on the goodwill of the Florida legislature.

Except who is more likely to dump money in to the parks? Guests with big hotel room bills or guests who go once a year with a low cost DVC room? They both likely reside in the same demographic as far as wealth.

One could also argue that as DVC owners, we spend less than cash guests. A week in a Savannah view 1BR at AKL costs me about $1600 (initial point cost + annual MFs). The same room is listed for over $6000 on Disney website.

If that were true Disney wouldn't be converting all these hotels to DVC and build DVC but no cash side.

There is a bunch of money in DVC and likely more so than hotel side based on building trends.

Plus, since owners go in somewhat regular intervals, they are less likely to splurge than the "once in a lifetime" crowds, which generally means less revenue.

Except many once in a lifetime trips possibly will get put off until the park is full open.

Are you really going to splurge for a once in a lifetime trip when Disney cant even promise all the rides will be open?

I will just say one more thing. Regardless of their plan if a single hotel guest gets access but DVC does not they can say goodbye to DVC sales for the foreseeable future.

Everyone keeps forgetting the money Disney has made the past 25 years with DVC is a drop in the bucket to the next 10 years likely. More points, higher price per point, higher point charts, and 3 resorts they are trying to sell out possibly a 4th in years 7-10 range.

Except who is more likely to dump money in to the parks? Guests with big hotel room bills or guests who go once a year with a low cost DVC room? They both likely reside in the same demographic as far as wealth.

If that were true Disney wouldn't be converting all these hotels to DVC and build DVC but no cash side.

There is a bunch of money in DVC and likely more so than hotel side based on building trends.

Except many once in a lifetime trips possibly will get put off until the park is full open.

Are you really going to splurge for a once in a lifetime trip when Disney cant even promise all the rides will be open?

Answer to your first question, people who stay in hotels. Because they aren't just dumping money into the parks, they are also dumping money into their hotel room. And because they don't have kitchens, so they are more trapped into Disney dining than a DVC guest. And because a significant number of DVC members bought DVC to save money and have stated themselves as being cost conscious, which Disney is going to build into their models.

They build DVC rooms because they get a huge influx of cash short term by selling DVC rooms - its a short term deal and the markets and business reward short term profitability. They are able to build hotels with incredibly high capital costs - and have us pay for the cost of that capital very quickly - over a few years, rather than having hotel guest pay for it over a decade or longer They then move the costs and risk of running the hotel over to us, while providing a base of park customers that will more than cover the fixed costs of running the parks in normal times - its really a dream business for Disney. But, it isn't about our long term spend, its about booking the short term $15k+ when you sign that contract.

There are plenty of frequent Disney hotel guests who aren't once in a lifetime guests. And there are plenty of people for whom life is short and that's being driven home right now. So yes, there will be people taking a once in a lifetime trip when the parks open, because they are taking someone who is terminal. There will be people who still won't believe this is a big deal, and just want to take their young kid to Disney while its still magical - and if all the rides aren't open, they think enough will be that they have the experience - and they PROMISED their kid. There will be pent up demand from these people even if half the attractions are closed.

Turnstyles can also be programmed to color-code FL residency just like they recognize DVC members now. All they have to do is turn it on. Almost every special-use of a/or for a ticket is color-coded in the system. They just never turn most of it on. That's an easy thing to "fix."

It probably isn't a HUGE deal to have the turnstyles restrict entry to certain kinds of passes - they already have the "don't open the gates" use case built in for an expired AP or a ticket with no days left on it, or a non-hopper pass that has been used at another park. Its adding more types of passes to the turnstyles. No need to bother with colors and gate attendants.

They build DVC rooms because they get a huge influx of cash short term by selling DVC rooms - its a short term deal and the markets and business reward short term profitability. They are able to build hotels with incredibly high capital costs - and have us pay for the cost of that capital very quickly - over a few years, rather than having hotel guest pay for it over a decade or longer They then move the costs and risk of running the hotel over to us, while providing a base of park customers that will more than cover the fixed costs of running the parks in normal times - its really a dream business for Disney. But, it isn't about our long term spend, its about booking the short term $15k+ when you sign that contract.
Just to pile on: DVC also guarantees XX% of rooms in a given resort are paid for regardless of what the economy does. It also means people hitting parks during times where they might reconsider if they weren't already committed to a time share.

I imagine this stabilization of their business is worth a bit of lost revenue (relative to hotel room rates) in good economic times.

If the resorts are open in June, we're going. I have a split stay at BCV and AKL, so if we can relax at SAB and watch giraffes from our balcony, I'll be good without the parks!

If I were in charge, what I would do is take a long view. I would open the parks to Platinum APs, DVC, and Florida residents first (also friendly, super positive bloggers). I would roll out the red carpet customer service-wise, stress safety measures like crazy, and let them enjoy the comparatively empty parks. The reason is that those individuals might be a little more likely to accept a reduced experience (closed rides, restaurants etc) because they've already experienced those things and they know they'll be back once everything opens, so it won't be such a big deal to them. It gives Disney and CMs a chance to practice on a comparatively "friendly audience." I just imagine once-in-a-lifetime, cash paying guests screaming at CMs because they spent thousands to come there and "Meet the Princesses" is closed. But the chances of Disney losing DVC members (and I'd argue most people who would buy a Platinum AP) as future customers is very low. They're loyalists. There is a good chance that if Disney does everything right, those visitors could spin a positive story regarding safety and new ride protocols that will encourage other people to go back to the parks and spend tons of money.

It probably isn't a HUGE deal to have the turnstyles restrict entry to certain kinds of passes - they already have the "don't open the gates" use case built in for an expired AP or a ticket with no days left on it, or a non-hopper pass that has been used at another park. Its adding more types of passes to the turnstyles. No need to bother with colors and gate attendants.
But once somebody get to the tap styles, its really too late. they've already been in fairly close contact with other visitors that day.

But once somebody get to the tap styles, its really too late. they've already been in fairly close contact with other visitors that day.

I don’t think any phasing in of guests is because of risk of getting ill, but rather a way of trying to control the number of guests in a subgroup that might provide them with the ability to open and control occupancy.

I would love if they could let us DVC in first but we know that isn't happening. They have our money already so they won't make $ from the hotels. And, many of us are also pass holders so they would lose money on people buying tickets.

I won't pretend to be able to predict what DIsney will do, including whether there will be any phase in period.

But I think it is worth noting that the separate nature of DVC could work in favor of DVC owners should there be a phase in, just as it tended to work to our disadvantage with respect to being given accommodations because of the closure. The reason being that DVCM has an obligation to work on our behalf and open the DVC resorts as soon as they are safe. I think there is a limit to their ability to keep DVC rooms closed because the overall resort strategy is to let other people come first. Which means, I think, that DVC owners will be on site as early as anyone, in DVC rooms and resorts, at least. Disney Parks might not need to account for that legally, but as a factual reality they will. And possibly they decide, that with DVC owners on site, other groups have to wait both to stay on site or visit parks.
By no means do I think that is a given. Parks could decide otherwise, and be content to let DVC owners on site but exclude us from Parks while AP holders or FL residents get priority in the earliest phases. (Of course, the groups overlap). But they also might decide there is no benefit to having a group of DVC users on site adding density to Disney Springs, to pools, and restaurants, while excluding us from parks. Or maybe they can present a plausible overriding safety exception that says DVC remains closed while they prioritize other groups.
Again, this is not a prediction but a thought about how certain factors will play into the decision.

Last edited:
As others have said, regardless of the parks, Disney would have a huge liability if they keep the DVC resorts closed and start to open other things. It could even be said that they are already on slippery ground, but since all operations have closed, a little more defensible. Regardless of what kind of revenue they can collect from another group, Owners are just that, owners, not a hotel guest. They cannot refuse service to an owner, so even if they don't allow DVC members into the parks, the resorts will have to open. The lawsuit that would come otherwise would far outweigh any revenue they might generate.

But, they also have to look at future owners as well. If they treat owners poorly now, they will have a hard time selling in the future. Which could lead the way to them opening to DVC first and be able to capitalize in sales pitches later that DVC was the first to be let in and "membership has its privileges". They could even give good will to Florida residents and further limit the number of people, by allowing DVC owners without a reservation access as well (that is likely doubtful, but could happen).

I am going to echo what many others have already mentioned. From DVC/Disney's perspective, owners are actually at the lowest of their priority list. They have our money already (except for resale purchasers, who are even lower on the list!), so there is no extra incentive to "treat us better." Plus, since owners go in somewhat regular intervals, they are less likely to splurge than the "once in a lifetime" crowds, which generally means less revenue.

LAX

Souvenir spending is most certainly lower for DVC owners than the average Disney guest, but DVC owners do still spend a decent amount on food and drinks. And food/beverages are still one of the main expenses for every family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter